TODIM-FSE: a Multicriteria Classification Method Based on Prospect Theory
This paper introduces TODIM-FSE, a multicriteria method for classifying alternatives based on Prospect Theory. TODIM-FSE therefore relies on the TODIM method combined with the Fuzzy Synthetic Evaluation approach. TODIM-FSE makes use of the innovative "contribution" concept, not used previously for multicriteria classification purposes. This notion is central to the classification procedure of TODIM-FSE as it is associated to the contribution of each criterion to the classification of a given alternative in a predefined category. The TODIM-FSE method is explained in this paper by means of an application example and its steps are outlined. The application example has to do with the selection of trainee candidates for a company in the area of information technology. The classification of the candidates allows to identify the best of them, which is typically done at the first stage of the selection process. Some of the evaluation criteria considered in the study were: computers skills, mastery of technical English, and previous working experience in the field. In the second stage of that process another procedure ranks the best candidates. TODIM-FSE can be easily programmed in spreadsheets so as to be made available to professionals without a sound knowledge of either Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis or Prospect Theory. Currently the authors are working on a series of applications for validating TODIM-FSE in a broader way. (original abstract)
- Belton V. and Stewart T. (2010), Problem Structuring and Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis [in:] Trends in Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis, M. Ehrgott, J.R. Figueira, S. Greco (eds.), Springer, Berlin.
- Chang N.B., Chen H.W. and Ning S.K. (2001), Identification of River Quality Water Quality Using the Fuzzy Synthetic Evaluation Approach, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 63 (3), 293-305.
- Choo E.U., Schoner B. and Wedley W.C. (1999), Interpretation of Criteria Weights in Multicriteria Decision Making, Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 37, 527-541.
- Doumpos M. and Zopounidis C. (2002), Multicriteria Decision aid Classification Methods, Kluwer Academic Press, Dordrecht.
- Edwards G.A. (1977), How to Use Multiattribute Utility Measurement for Social Decision Making, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 7 (5), 326-340.
- Gomes L.F.A.M. and González X.I. (2012), Behavioral Multi-criteria Decision Analysis: Further Elaboration on the TODIM Method, Foundations of Computing and Decision Sciences, Vol. 37 (1), 3-8.
- Gomes L.F.A.M. and Lima M.M.P.P. (1992), From Modeling Individual Preferences to Multicriteria Ranking of Discrete Alternatives: A Look at Prospect Theory and the Additive Difference Model, Foundations of Computing and Decision Sciences, Vol. 17 (3), 171-184.
- Gomes L.F.A.M. and Rangel L.A.D. (2009), An Application of the TODIM Method to the Multi-criteria Rental Evaluation of Residential Properties, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 193 (1), 204-211.
- Gomes L.F.A.M., Machado M.A.S. and Rangel L.A.D. (2013), Behavioral Multi-criteria Decision Analysis: The TODIM Method with Criteria Interactions, Annals of Operations Research, available online in March 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10479-013-1345-0, 18.
- Gomes L.F.A.M., Rangel L.A.D. and Maranhão F.J.C. (2009), Multi-criteria Analysis of Natural Gas Destination in Brazil: An Application of the TODIM Method, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 50 (1), 92-100.
- Goodwin P. and Wright G. (2004), Decision Analysis for Management Judgment, 2nd ed., John Wiley and Sons, Chichester.
- Kahneman D. and Tversky A. (1979), Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision Under Risk, Econometrica, Vol. 47 (2), 263-291.
- Keeney R.L. and Raiffa H. (1976), Decision with Multiples Objectives: Preferences and Value Tradeoffs, Wiley, New York.
- Kuo Y.F. and Chen P.C. (2006), Selection of Mobile Value-added Services for System Operators Using Fuzzy Synthetic Evaluation, Expert Systems and Applications, Vol. 30 (4), 612-620.
- Lu R.S., Lo S.L. and Hu J.Y. (1999), Analysis of Reservoir Water Quality Using Fuzzy Synthetic Evaluation, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, Vol. 13 (5), 327-336.
- Mendel J.M. (1995), Fuzzy Logic Systems for Engineering: A Tutorial, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 83 (3), 345-377.
- Moshkovich H., Gomes L.F.A.M. and Mechitov A.I. (2011), An Integrated Multicriteria Decision-making Approach to Real Estate Evaluation: Case of the TODIM Method, Pesquisa Operacional, Vol. 31 (1), 3-20.
- Onkal-Engin G. and Demir I. (2004), Assessment of Urban Air Quality in Istanbul Using Fuzzy Synthetic Evaluation, Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 38 (23), 3809-3815.
- Rangel L.A.D., Gomes L.F.A.M. and Cardoso F.P. (2011), An Application of the TODIM Method to the Evaluation of Broadband Internet Plans, Pesquisa Operacional, Vol. 31 (2), 235-249.
- Sadiq R., Husain T., Veitch B. and Bose N. (2004), Risk-based Decision-making for Drilling Waste Discharges Using a Fuzzy Synthetic Evaluation Technique, Ocean Engineering, Vol. 31 (16), 1929-1953.
- Tversky A. and Kahneman D. (1992), Advances in Prospect Theory, Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, 5, 297-323.
- Zadeh L.A. (2008), Is There a Need for Fuzzy Logic? Information Sciences, Vol. 178 (13), 2751-2779.
- Zopounidis C. and Doumpos M. (2002), Multicriteria Classification and Sorting Methods: A Literature Review, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 138 (2), 229-246.