The Changes in the Position of Poland on Its Investment Development Path : the Results of the Empirical Analysis
The aim of this paper was to indicate on which stage of an economic development path is probably Poland. The subject of this paper was one of the economic development paths, named usually the investment development path, which model has been shaped mainly by J. H. Dunning and R. Narula. This model is also similar to the model of the economic development path proposed by M. Porter. Therefore, were discussed the changes in the main elements of this model, which took place in the Polish economy in 1995-2012. Those elements were the trade structure diveded by the degree of technological sophistication, direct investment and indicators of economic performance. In order to verify if in the case of Poland have been occurred economic dependences assumed by the representatives of this model also was carried out correlation and regression analysis. The results of the study suggest that Poland shifted to the third stage of analyzed economic development path where more emphasis is placed on innovations as the country moves toward producing more technology intensive products. (original abstract)
- Dunning J.H., Kim C.-S., Lin J.-D. 2001 Incorporating Trade into the Investment Development Path: A Case Study of Korea and Taiwan, "Oxford Development Studies", Vol. 29, No. 2, DOI 10.1080/13600810120059789.
- Ferencikova Sr.S., Ferencikova Jr. S. 2012 Outward Investment Flows and the Development Path. The Case of Slovakia, "Eastern European Economics", Vol. 50, No. 2, DOI 10.2753/EEE0012-8775500205.
- Fonseca M. 2008 The Investment Development Path Hypothesis: a Panel Data, Approach to the Portuguese Case, "Working Papers of Universidade do Porto", No. 210.
- Gorynia M., Nowak J., Wolniak R. 2007 Poland and Its Investment Development Path, "Eastern European Economics", Vol. 45, No. 2, DOI 10.2753/EEE0012-8775450203.
- Janton-Drozdowska E., Majewska M. 2013 Deepening of Specialization in International Trade as a Determinant of the Country's Economic Development, "Transformations in Business & Economics", Vol. 12, No. 2B.
- Majewska M., Grala J. 2002 Influence of Foreign Direct Investment on Internationalization of the Polish Economy, "The Polish Quarterly of International Affairs", Vol. 11, No. 3.
- Majewska M., Grala J. 2004 Identyfikacja etapu rozwoju gospodarczego Polski na tle krajów należących do UE, [in:] Systemy gospodarcze i ich ewolucja. Kraje postsojalistyczne, S. Swadźba (ed.), Katowice.
- Majewska-Bator M., Jantoń-Drozdowska E. 2007 International Knowledge Spillovers and the Importance of Human Capital in this Process: empirical research for Poland, [in:] Organizations in Changing Environment. Current Problems, Concepts and Methods of Management, W.M. Grudzewski, I. Heiduk, S. Trzcieliński (eds.), IEA Press.
- Narula R., Dunning J. H. 2000 Industrial Development, Globalization and Multinational Enterprises: New Realities for Developing Countries, "Oxford Development Studies", Vol. 28, No. 2, DOI 10.1080/713688313.
- Narula R., Dunning J. H. 2010 Multinational Enterprises, Development and Globalization: Some Clarifications and a Research Agenda, "Oxford Development Studies", Vol. 38, No. 3, DOI 10.1080/13600818.2010.505684.
- OECD 2014 OECD Economic Surveys: Poland 2014, OECD Better Policies for Better Lives, OECD Publishing.
- Ozawa T. 1992 Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Development, "Transnational Corporations", No.1.
- Porter M.E. 1985 Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, Free Press, New York.
- Porter M.E. 1990a Competitive Advantage of Nations, Free Press, New York.
- Porter M.E. 1990b The Competitive Advantage of Nations, "Harvard Business Review", Vol. 68, No. 2.
- Porter M.E. 2000 Location, Competition, and Economic Development Local Clusters in a Global Economy, "Economic Development Quarterly", Vol. 14, No. 1, DOI 10.1177/ 089124240001400105.
- Stoian C. 2013 Extending Dunning's Investment Development Path: The role of home country institutional determinants in explaining outward foreign direct investment, "International Business Review", Vol. 22, DOI 10.1016/j.ibusrev.2012.09.003.
- United Nations Development Group 2013 Growth and Employment in the Post - 2015 Agenda. Message from a Global Consultation, UNCTAD.