Company Market Orientation and Behaviour in the Internationalisation Process
The internationalisation process has been the subject of numerous research projects since the beginning of the 1970s. However, most attention has focused on analysing the causes and the course of the internationalisation process. To a much lesser degree, attempts have been made to investigate the internationalisation process from the angle of company performance. Companies' behaviour in the internationalisation process in relation to their market orientation has not been analysed, either. On the other hand, it is generally believed that a company's higher level of market orientation has a beneficial influence on its performance. The research project initiated in 2006 intended to identify possible ways companies can behave in the internationalisation process and to verify them from the angle of the results achieved by companies representing various types of behaviour, including market orientation of the companies investigated. The aim of the article is to verify the widely-held view that companies which are more effective on the market are characterised by a higher level of market orientation. The subject of the study includes companies representing various types of behaviour in the internationalisation process. The level of company market orientation is measured with the use of, among others, the Narver and Slater scale. (fragment of text)
- Fonfara K. (2007): Zachowania przedsiębiorstw w procesie internacjonalizacji - próba poszukiwania teorii marketingu międzynarodowego. "Marketing i Rynek", No. 1, pp. 2-7.
- Narver J., Slater S. (1990): The Effect of Marketing Orientation on Business Profitability. "Journal of Marketing", Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 20-35.
- Kohli A., Jaworski B. (1990): Market Orientation: The Construct, Research Propositions and Managerial Implications. "Journal of Marketing", Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 1-18.
- Kirca A., Jayachandran S., Bearden W. (2005): Market Orientation: A Meta-Analytical Review and Assessment of Its Antecedents and Impact on Performance. "Journal of Marketing", Vol. 69, No. 2, pp. 24-41.
- Racela O., Chaikittisilpa Ch., Thoumrungroje A. (2007): Market Orientation, International Business Relationships and Perceived Export Orientation. "International Marketing Review", Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 144-163.
- Kohli A., Jaworski B., Kumor A. (1993): MARKOR: A Measure of Market Orientation. "Journal of Marketing Research", Vol. 30, pp. 467-477.
- Jaworski B., Kohli A. (1996): Market Orientation: Review, Refinement and Road Map. "Journal of Market Focused Management", Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 119-135.
- Slater S., Narver J. (1996): Competitive Strategy in the Market-Focused Business. "Journal of market Focused Management", Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 159-174.
- Hooley G., Fahy J., Beracs J., Fonfara K., Greenley G., Snoj B. (2003): Market Orientation in the Service Sector of the Transition Economies of Central Europe. "European Journal of Marketing", Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 86-106.