Core Competencies and Business Models of Polish Firms. The Case of Engineering Industry
Although the concept of business model and its applications is recently widely discussed in international literature, there is a very limited number of research studies on that issue in Poland. One of such studies is recently finalized by the research team at SGH (Warsaw School of Economics). This study is focused on identifying normative business models for Polish firms in the context of Poland's accession to the EU, and aims at verifying real business models of Polish firms (based on interviews made in 140 Polish firms). The paper will partly exploit results of this study and will also be based on additional, extended study of business models of Polish firms conducted by the authors in the machine-building industry. The paper aims at analysing the impact of core competencies on business models adopted by Polish firms, with special emphasis on competencies based on intangible resources. It will present the structure of core competencies of firms in study, resulting both from tangible and intangible resources (including market and technological knowledge, patents, certificates, and relational resources - brand image and acceptance, capabilities resulting from cooperation with business partners). The application and importance of these resources/competencies in business models of Polish firms will also be discussed. (fragment of text)(fragment of text)
- Barney J. (1991): Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage. "Journal of Management", No. 1.
- Collis D.J., Montgomery C.A. (1997): Corporate Strategy. Resources and the Scope of the Firm. Irwin/McGraw-Hill, Chicago.
- Dess G.G., Lumpkin G.T., Eisner A.B. (2007): Strategic Management. Creating Competitive Advantages. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill - Irwin, Boston.
- Donaldson B., O'Toole T. (2007): Strategic Market Relationships. From Strategy to Implementation. 2nd ed. John Wiley&Sons, Chichester.
- Gołębiowski T., Dudzik T., Lewandowska M., Witek-Hajduk M. (2008): Modele biznesu polskich przedsiębiorstw. Szkoła Główna Handlowa, Oficyna Wydawnicza, Warszawa.
- Grant R.M. (1991): The Resource-Based Theory of Competitive Advantage: Implications for Strategy Formulation. "California Management Review", Vol. 33.
- GUS (2005-2007): Industry Statistical Yearbook.
- Kay J. (1994): Foundations of Corporate Success. Oxford. University Press, Oxford.
- Lynch R. (2000): Corporate Strategy. Financial Times-Prentice Hall, Harlow.
- Peteraf M. (1993): The Cornerstones of Competitive Advantage: A Resource-Based View. "Strategic Management Journal" Vol. 14.
- Prahalad C.K., Hamel G. (1990): The Core Competence of the Corporation. "Harvard Business Review" May-June.
- Stankiewicz M.J. (2003): Konkurencyjność przedsiębiorstwa. Dom Organizatora, Toruń.
- Wernerfelt B. (1984): A Resource-Based View of the Firm. "Strategic Management Journal", September-October.
- de Wit B., Meyer R. (2007): Synteza strategii. PWE, Warszawa.