The Relationship between Working Capital Management and Profitability: Evidence from Pakistan
In this paper secondary data is used for analysis of working capital on profitability. In this research paper we take working capital as independent variable and net operating profit as dependent variable. We have found a significant negative relationship between net operating profitability and the average collection period, inventory turnover in days, average payment period and cash conversion cycle for a sample of Pakistani firms listed on Karachi stock exchange. Previous theoretical research predicts negative relationship between cash conversion cycle and corporate profitability. The results of regression indicate that the coefficient of account receivable is negative; that is, the increase or decrease in average collection period wills significantly affect the profitability of the firm. According to interitem correlation matrix the relationship of account receivables, account payables and inventory with profit shows positive relationship but cash conversion cycle, financial debt and financial assets shows negative relationship with profitability. Inventory shows the positive relationship with dependent variable which proves that working capital management has a positive effect on firm's probability. (original abstract)
-  A, E. (2004). Liquidity-profitability tradeoff: an empirical investigation in an emerging market. International Journal of Commerce and Management, , 14, 48-61.
-  Afza, T. a. (2008). Working Capital Approaches and Firm's Returns. Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences 1(1), 25-36.
-  Baltagi, B. H. (2001). Econometric Analysis of Panel Data. (2, Ed.) John Wiley & Sons. Chichester.
-  Besley S, M. R. (1987). An empirical investigation of factors affecting the cash conversion cycle. Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Financial Management Association. Las Vegas, Nevada.
-  Blinder, A. S. (1991). Taking Stock: A critical Assessment of Recent Research on Inventories. Journal of Economic Perspectives 5(1), 73-96.
-  Czyzewski, A. a. (1992). Hold Onto Your Cash. Management Accounting.
-  D, M. (2009). The influence of working capital management components on corporate profitability: a survey on Kenyan listed firm. Research Journal of Business Management 3.
-  Deloof, M. a. (1996). Trade credit, product Quality, and Intra Group Trade: Some European Evidence. Financial Management 25(3), 33-43.
-  Deloof, M. (2003). Does Working Capital Management Affects profitability of Belgian Firms. 30(3&4),. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting 30(3&4), 0306-686X.
-  Deloof, M. (2003). Does Working Capital Management Affects Profitability of Belgian Firms? Journal of Business Finance & Accounting 30(3&4), 573-587.
-  Economic Survey of Pakistan. (2006-07). Finance Division . Government of Pakistan.
-  Eljelly, A. (2004). Liquidity-Profitability Tradeoff: An empirical Investigation in an Emerging Market. International Journal of Commerce & Management 14(2), 48-61.
-  Eljelly, M. (2004). Liquidity - Profitability Tradeoff: An empirical investigation in an emerging market. International Journal of Commerce & Management 14(2).
-  Falope OI, A. O. (2009). Working capital management and corporate profitability: evidence from panel data analysis of selected quoted companies in Nigeria. Research Journal of Business Management 3, 73-84.
-  Filbeck, G. a. (2005). An Analysis of Working Capital Management results across Industries. American Journal of Business 20(2), 11-18.
-  Garcia-Teruel PJ, M.-S. P. (2007). Effects of working capital management on SME profitability. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 164-177.
-  Garcia-Teruel, P. a.-S. (2007). Effects of Working Capital Management on SME Profitability. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 3(2), 164-177.
-  Ghosh S. K, M. S. (2003). Working capital management efficiency: a study on the Indian cement industry. Retrieved from The Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India: http://www.icwai.org/icwai/knowledgebank/fm47.pdf]
-  Ghosh SK, M. S. (n.d.). Working capital management efficiency: a study on the Indian cement industry. Retrieved from http://www.icwai.org/icwai/knowledgebank/fm47.pdf
-  Ghosh, S. K. (2003). Working Capital Management Efficiency: A study on the Indian Cement Industry. The Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India.
-  Gitman, L. (1991). Principles of Managerial Finance.Collins Publishers Inc. Harper, New York.
-  Hausman, J. (1978). Specification Tests in Econometrics. Econometrica, 46, 1251-71.
-  Jose, M. L. (1996). Corporate Returns and Cash Conversion Cycles. Journal of Economics and Finance, 20(1), 33-46.
-  Joshi, P. V. (1995). Working Capital Management under Inflation. (1, Ed.) Anmol Publishers, 20-93.
-  Kargar, J. a. (1994). Leverage Impact of Working Capital in Small Businesses. TMA Journal, 14(6), 46-53.
-  Lazaridis I, T. D. (2006). Relationship between working capital management and profitability of listed companies in the Athens stock exchange. Journal of Financial Management and Analysis, 26-25.
-  Lazaridis, I. a. (2006). Tryfonidis Relationship between Working Capital Management and Profitability of Listed Companies in the Athens Stock Exchange. Journal of Financial Management and Analysis, 19(1), 26-35.
-  Long MS, M. I. (1993). Trade credit, quality guarantees, and product marketability. Financial Managemen, 117-124.
-  Long, M. S. (1993). Trade Credit, Quality Guarantees, and Product Marketability. Financial Management, 117-127.
-  M, D. (2003). Does working capital management affect profitability of Belgian firms. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 30, 573-588.
-  Mukhopadhyay, D. (2004). Working Capital Management in Heavy Engineering Firms. Retrieved from myicwai.com/knowledgebank/fm48.
-  Raheman A, N. M. (2007). Working capital management and profitability - case of Pakistani firms. Research Paper.
-  Rao, R. K. (1989). Fundamentals of Financial Management. (3, Ed.)
-  Ricci, C. a. (2000). International Working Capital Practices in the UK. European Financial Management, 6(1), 69-84.
-  Richard, V. D. (1980). A Cash Conversion Cycle Approach to Liquidity Analysis. Financial Management, 9(1), 32-38.
-  Shin HH, S. L. (1998). Efficiency of working capital management and corporate profitability. Financial Practice and Education, 37-45.
-  Shin, H. a. (1998). Efficiency of Working Capital Management and Corporate Profitability. Financial Practice and Education, 8(2), 37-45.
-  Smith, M. B. (1997). Measuring Association between Working Capital and Return on Investment. South African Journal of Business Management, 28(1).
-  Soenen, L. A. (1993). Cash conversion cycle and corporate profitability. Journal of Cash Management, 13(4), 53-58.
-  Van Horne, J. C. (2000). Fundamentals of Financial Management (11 ed.). Prentice Hall Inc.
-  Nadeem Iqbal, Naveed Ahmad, Zeeshan Haider, Sonia Anwar, International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences 5 (2014) 73-80.
-  Nadeem Iqbal, Naveed Ahmad, Komal Javaid, International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences 6 (2014) 60-73.
-  Nadeem Iqbal, Naveed Ahmad, Maira Abrar, Aisha Hassan, International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences 7 (2014) 31-43.