Service Quality, Perceived Value and Customer Satisfaction as Determinant of Airline Choice in Nigeria
The success of airlines depends majorly on the ability to identify customers' wants and needs, and factor it in the quality service that would meet customers' satisfaction. Thus, there is need for continuous research so as to assist all the players survive in the changing business environment.This paper examines service quality, perceived value and customer satisfaction as the determinant of choice of airline by air travellers in Nigeria. Survey method was employed using primary data obtained through the use of questionnaires. 220 questionnaires were administered by the researcher through purposive sampling to air travellers at MM2 in Lagos which 200 were returned and properly filled. The questionnaires were analysed using descriptive statistics, correlation and regression with the support of SPSS 17. The study revealed that the income/social status, poor states of roads as well as the insecurity accounts for the sudden rise in air transport travellers and that service quality, perceive value influences their satisfaction level on the choice of airline. Therefore, airline companies in Nigeria should increase the quality of service since many users of the air transport requires it and make sure passengers fare paid should commensurate the service delivered so as to enhance travellers patronage.(original abstract)
-  Anderson E. W., Fornell C., Lehmann D. R., Journal of Marketing 58 (1994) 53-66.
-  Cronin J. J., Brady M. K., Hult C. T., Journal of Retailing 76(2) (2000) 193-218.
-  Cronin J. J., Taylor S. A., Journal of Marketing 56(3) (1992) 55- 68.
-  Dodds W. B., Monroe K. B., Grewal D., Journal of Marketing Research 28 (1991) 307-319.
-  Don-Berliner (1996). Aviation: Reaching for the Sky. The Oliver Press, inc.
-  Ott E. (1993). Chaos in dynamical systems. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
-  Federal Ministry Aviation (2012). Federal Ministry of Transport (Air). Retrieved 7 January, 2013.
-  Filani M. O (1983). Air Transportation in Oguntoyinbo, J. S, Areola O. O, Filani M., eds A Geography of Nigerian Development second edition, Heineman Education (Nigeria).
-  Fred Reichheld (1996). The loyalty effect: The Hidden Force behind growth, profits and lasting Value. Boston: Bain & Company, Inc.
-  Hair J., Black W., Babin B., Anderson R., Tatham R. (2007). Multivariate data `analysis, 6th edition. New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
-  Ho S., (1995). TQM: An Integrated Approach. Kogan page, London.
-  IATA (2007). New financial forecast- more cautious outlook for 2008, available at www.iata.com/economies, accessed 30 December 2012.
-  Hotz. J., Robert A. Miller, Review of Economic Studies 60 (1993) 497-539.
-  Karl F. Case, Fair Ray (1999), Principles of Economics, 5th Edition. Prentice Hall.
-  Kent. B. Monroe (1990), Pricing: making profitable decisions. New York: McGraw- Hill.
-  Kloppenborg Timothy J., Kent N. Gourdin (1992). Up in the Air About Quality, Quality Progress, February, 31-35
-  Mohammed Zairi, An international Journal 7(4) (2000) 239-246.
-  Nunnally J. C. (1978). Psychometric theory, 2nd edition. New York: McGraw-Hill.
-  Oliver R. L. (1996). Satisfaction: A behavioural perspective on the consumer, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.
-  Ostrowski P. L., O'Brien T. V., Gordon G. L. Journal of Travel Research 32(2) (1993) 16-24.
-  Pallant J. (2004). SPSS Survival Manual, London. Open University Press, McGraw-Hill.
-  Parasuraman A., Zeithaml V. A., Berry L. L., Journal of Retailing 64 (1988) 12-40.
-  Parasuraman A, Zeithaml V, Berry L., Journal of Marketing 49 (1985) 41-50.
-  Parasuraman A., Berry L. L., Zeithaml, V. A., Journal of Retailing 67(4) (1991) 420-450.
-  Phili. L. Kottler, Kevin. L. Keller (2009), Marketing Management, 13th edition. Pearson Education/Prentice Hall.
-  Shostack G. L., Journal of Marketing 41(2) (1977) 414-434.
-  Spreng R. A., Mackoy R. D., Journal of retailing 722 (1996) 201-14.
-  Tiernan S. Rhoades, D. L, Waguespack B., Managing Service Quality 18(3) (2008) 212-224.
-  Wilfred I. Ukpere1, Mobolaji S. Stephens, Christopher C. Ikeogu, Callistus. C. Ibe, Edem O. P. Akpan, African Journal of Business Management 6(15) (2012) 5442-5455.
-  Woodruff R. B., Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 25 (1997) 139-153.
-  Zeithaml V. A., Journal of Marketing 52 (1988) 2-22.
-  Zeithaml V. A., Bitner M. J. (1996). Services marketing. New York: McGraw- Hill.