Study Regarding the Financial Stability of Commercial Banks Listed on Bucharest Stock Exchange of CAMELS Rating Outlook
The study's propose is a theoretical and pragmatic approach of the CAMELS rating as of financial stability analysis tool of commercial banks listed on BSE. The analysis made on the financial statements of the four commercial banks listed on Bucharest Stock Exchange during three financial years showed that the credit risk is their point of vulnerability, having a negative influence on the indicators, that are taken into account in the CAMELS model proposed. The calculation and the analysis of Basel III Agreement indicators are proposed in order to have an attentive monitor of the bank activity revealed that the four credit institutions listed on BSE are not yet fully prepared to implement the requirements of the agreement. (original abstract)
- Avkiran, N. K., Cai, L., (2012), Predicting bank financial distress prior to crises, UQ Business School, The University of Queensland, Australia, Working paper, disponibil: http://www.nzfc.ac.nz/archives/2012/papers/updated/24.pdf
- Balteş, N., (2010) - Analiză şi diagnostic financiar, "Lucian Blaga" University Library , Sibiu, p.209
- Barr, Richard S. et al. (2002). Evaluating the Productive Efficiency and Performance of U.S. Commercial Banks. Engineering Management, 28(8), p. 19.
- Čihák, M., and Schaeck, Klaus., 2007, How Well Do Aggregate Bank Ratios Identify Banking Problems, IMF Working Paper 07/275, (Washington: International Monetary Fund).
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., and E. Detragiache, 1998, The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries, Staff Papers, International Monetary Fund, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 81-109.
- Derviz, A., and J, Podpiera, (2008), Predicting Bank CAMELS and S&P Ratings: The case of the Czech Republic, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, vol. 44, no. 1, p. 117-130.
- Ginevicius R. ans Podviesko A. (2010). A framework of evaluation of commercial banks, Intellectual Economics 2011, No. 1(9), p. 37-53
- Hellman T.F., Murdock K.C., Stiglitz J.E., (2000), Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?, American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90 (1), pp. 147-165
- İnci Ötker-Robe, Jiri Podpiera, (2010), The Fundamental Determinants of Credit Default Risk for European Large Complex Financial Institutions, IMF Working Paper, june 2010, pg 11
- Jagtiani, J., Kolari, J., Lemieux, C., Shin, H., (2003), Early Warning Models for Bank Supervision: Simpler Could Be Better, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Economic Perspectives Q3
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau, "Fundamentals-Based Estimation of EDF: A Survey" IMF,WP/06/149
- Jordan, D.J., D. Rice, J. Sanchez, C. Walker, and D.H. Worth (2010). Predicting bank failures: Evidence from 2007 to 2010. Working Paper, available at http://papers.ssrn.com
- L´opez-Iturriaga, F., O. L´opez-de-Foronda, and I. Pastor-Sanz (2010). Predicting bankruptcy using neural networks In the current financial crisis: A study of U.S. commercial banks. Working Paper, available at http://papers.ssrn.com.
- Mensi, S. and A., Zouari (2010), Efficient Structure versus Market Power: Theories and Empirical Evidence, International Journal of Economics and Finance, 2 (4), p.151-156.
- Moinescu, B., (2007), Early Warning System of CAAMPL Rating Downgrade Events, BNR Studies, available at: http://www.bnro.ro/SearchResult.aspx
- Rime B., (1998), Capital Requirements and Bank Behaviour: Empirical Evidence for Switzerland, Swiss National Bank
- Rojas-Suarez, L., 2001, "Rating Banks in Emerging Markets: What Credit Agencies Should Learn from Financial Indicators," Institute for International Economics Working Paper, 01-6, May.
- Trenca, I., and Bolocan, D. (2011), Performanță și risc în bănci, Casa Cărții de Știință Library, Cluj Napoca, 2011, p 96-97.
- Basel III Agreement, available online at: www.bis.org
- Romanian Commercial Bank (RCB), Annual Report of RCB Bank during 2011-2013, available online at: www.bcr.ro
- BRD, Annual Report of BRD Bank during 2011-2013, available online at: www.brd.ro
- Transilvania Bank, Annual Report of Transilvania Bank during 2011-2013, available online at: www.bancatransilvania.ro
- Carpatica Bank, Annual Report of Carpatica Bank during 2011-2013, available online at: www.carpatica.ro
- BNR, Monthly Bulletin no. 12/2012, available online at: http://bnr.ro/Publicatii-periodice-204.aspx
- BNR, Monthly Bulletin no. 12/2013, available online at: http://bnr.ro/Publicatii-periodice-204.aspx