The Impact of Aircraft Noise on the Value of Dwellings - the Case of Warsaw Chopin Airport in Poland
The aim of this article is to identify the impact of Warsaw Chopin Airport on dwelling prices in Warsaw. Frederic Chopin Airport in Warsaw is the biggest airport and the main transfer node in Poland, which serviced 10.7 million passengers in 2013. Warsaw Chopin Airport is a city airport, which means that it is located within the borders of the city of Warsaw. The aim of this study is to identify and measure the influence of Warsaw Chopin Airport on the prices of dwellings located within the borders of the limited use area. This research refers only to dwellings located in multi-family buildings. Such choice was determined by two factors. Firstly, the majority of dwellings are located in multi-family residentials (dwelling blocks - up to 90% in big Polish cities). Secondly, houses are characterized by great differentiation regarding both quantitative and qualitative features, which requires the database to include the appropriate information about each property in order to build hedonic models. (original abstract)
- Baranzini A., Ramirez J. V., (2005) Paying for Quietness: the Impact of Noise on Geneva Rents, Urban studies, 42(4): 633-646.
- Cohen J. P. , Coughlin C. C., (2008) Spatial Hedonic Models Of Airport Noise, Proximity, And Housing Prices, Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(5): 859-878.
- Huderek-Glapska S., Trojanek R., (2013) The impact of aircraft noise on house prices, International Journal of Academic Research, N4.
- Levesque T., (1994) Modeling the effects of airport noise on residential housing markets: A case study of Winnipeg International Airport, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 28: 199-210.
- Malpezzi S., (2008) Hedonic Pricing Models: A Selective and Applied Review, in: Housing Economics and Public Policy: Essays in honor of Duncan Maclennan, red. T. O'Sullivan, K. Gibb, Oxford: Blackwell, pp. 67-89.
- McMillen D. P., (2004) Airport expansions and property values: The case of Chicago O'Hare Airport, Journal of Urban Economics, 55: 627-640.
- Myles C. L., (1997) Sound Effects: Measuring the Impact of Aircraft Noise on Residential Property Values Around McCarran International Airport, unpublished M.A. thesis, University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- Salve M., (2003) Spatial Estimation of the Impact of Airport Noise on Residential Housing Prices, Working Paper.
- Trojanek M. (2010) Methodic of Estate Valuation in Poland - Actual Status, Economics and Sociology, Vol. 3, No 1, 2010, pp. 66-75.
- Trojanek R. (2010) Dwelling's Price Fluctuations and the Business Cycle, Economics and Sociology, Vol. 3, No 2, 2010, pp. 67-77.