2014 | t. 15, z. 11, cz. 2 Zarządzanie - nowe perspektywy w dobie zmian demograficznych - w świetle badań | 19--26
Foreign Capital and Human Development in Asia
This paper examines the effects of two important types of foreign capital resources -foreign direct investment and foreign aid - on human development, a proxy for societal well-being, in 28 Asian countries for the period 1990-2009. The theoretical underpinning of the study is based on the assumption that foreign aid helps to create infrastructure, which in turn, helps to attract foreign direct investment. Both resources should then contribute to a higher level of human development. However, regression results obtained by estimating a reduced form equation indicate a positive but insignificant effect of foreign direct investment (FDI) but a negative and statistically significant effect of foreign aid (FA) on human development. Explanation for this tenuous link between foreign capital resources and human development are provided in the discussion of the results. (original abstract)
- Alguacil M., Cuadros A., Orts V. (2011), Inward FDI and growth: The role of macroeconomic and institutional environment, "Journal of Policy Modeling", 33, pp. 481-496.
- Alvi E., Senbeta A. (2012), Foreign aid: Good for investment, bad for productivity, "Oxford Development Studies", 40(2), pp. 139-161.
- Azman-Saini W.N.W., Baharumshah A. Zubaidi, Law S.H. (2010), Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and economic growth: international evidence, "Economic Modeling", 27, pp. 1079-1089.
- Bandyopadhyay S., Lahiri S., Younas J. (2012), Do countries with greater credit constraints receive more foreign aid, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, November/December, pp. 481-493.
- Blomstrom M., Kokko A., Zejan M. (1994), Host country competition and technology transfer by multinationals, "Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv", 130, pp. 521-533.
- Colen L., Maertens M., Swinnen J. (2008), Foreign direct investment as an engine for economic growth and human development: A review of the arguments and empirical evidence, Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Crespo N., Fontoura M. (2007), Determinants factors of FDI spillovers - what do we really know?, "World Development", 35, pp. 410-425.
- Davies A., Quinlivan G. (2006), A panel data analysis of the impact of trade on human development, "The Journal of Socio-Economics", 35, pp. 868-876.
- Ericsson J., Irandoust M. (2001), On the causality between foreign direct investment and output: a comparative study, "International Trade Journal", 15, pp. 1-26.
- Gohou G., Soumare I. (2011), Does foreign direct investment reduce poverty in Africa and are there regional differences?, "World Development", 40(1), pp. 75-95.
- Gorg H., Greenaway D. (2004), Much ado about nothing? Do domestic firms really benefit from foreign direct investment?, "World Bank Research Observer", 19, pp. 171-197.
- Grossman G. (2003), Trade and environment: friends or foe? [in:] G. Quinlivan, and H. Herr (Eds.), Economic Directions, 13(3), Boston, Centre for Economic and Policy Education.
- Kaya O., Kaya I., Gunter L. (2012), Development aid to agriculture and economic growth, 'Review of Development Economics", 16(2), pp. 230-242.
- De Mello L.R. (1999), Foreign direct investment in developing countries and growth: a selected survey, "Journal of Development Studies", 34(1), pp. 1-34.
- Moran T.H. (1998), Foreign Direct Investment and Development: The New Policy Agenda for Developing Countries and Economies in Transition, Washington D.C., Institute of International Economics.
- Nowak-Lehmann F., Dreher A. et al. (2012), Does foreign aid raise per capita income? A time series perspective, "Canadian Journal of Economics", 45(1), pp. 288-313.
- Kotrajaras P., Tubtimtong B., Wiboonchutikula P. (2011), Does FDI enhance economic growth? New evidence from East Asia, "Asian Economic Bulletin", 28(2), pp. 183-202.
- Kottaridi C., Stengos T. (2010), Foreign direct investment, human capital and non-linearities in economic growth, "Journal of Macroeconomics", 32, pp. 858-871.
- Krugman P. (2000), Fire-sale FDI [in:] S. Edwards (ed.), Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Reiger S.L., Steensma H.K. (2010), Human development and foreign direct investment in developing countries: the influence of FDI policy and corruption, "World Development", 38(12), pp. 1678-1691.
- Sharma B., Gani A. (2002), The Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Human development, "Global Economy Journal", 4(2), Article 9.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). Various years. World Investment Report. New York and Geneva, United Nations Publications.
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP). Various years. Human Development Report. New York, United Nations Publications.
- World Bank. Various years. World Tables. Washington D.C., World Bank Publications.