The Determinants of Leverage : a Comparative Analysis
This paper develops an analysis of the determinants of leverage in European listed companies in the last decade. To test the impact of firm characteristics on the capital structure, we use panel data of companies located in 7 countries (Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Poland, and Slovakia) from 2001 to 2012. Results show that several firm characteristics, such as size, profitability, and the tangibility of assets are able to influence the capital structure and overall confirm the theories developed by the literature. (original abstract)
- Antoniou A., Guney Y., Paudyal K. (2008): The Determinants of Capital Structure: Capital Market-Oriented versus Bank-Oriented Institutions. "Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis", Vol. 43 (1), pp. 59-92.
- Fama E.F., French, K.R. (2002): Testing Trade-off and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt. "Review of Financial Studies", Vol. 15 (1), pp.1-33.
- Flannery M.J., Rangan K. (2006): Partial Adjustment Toward Target Capital Structures. "Journal of Financial Economics", Vol. 79 (3), pp. 469-506.
- Frank M.Z., Goyal V.K. (2003): Testing the Pecking Order Theory of Capital Structure. "Journal of Financial Economics", Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 217-248.
- Graham J.R., Leary M.T. (2011): A Review of Empirical Capital Structure Research and Directions for the Future. "Annual Review of Financial Economics", Vol. 3, pp. 309-345.
- Hovakimian A. (2004): The Role of Target Leverage in Security Issues and Repurchases. "Journal of Business", Vol. 77 (4), pp. 1041-1072.
- Hovakimian A., Opler T., Titman S. (2001): The Debt-Equity Choice. "Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis", Vol. 36 (1), pp. 1-24.
- Jensen M.C. (1986): Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate finance and Takeovers. "American Economic Review", Vol. 76 (2), pp. 323-329.
- Kayo E.K., Kimura H. (2011): Hierarchical Determinants of Capital Structure. "Journal of Banking and Finance", Vol. 35, pp. 358-371.
- Kester C.W. (1986): Capital and Ownership Structure: A Comparison of United States and Japanese Manufacturing Corporations. "Financial Management", Vol. 15 (1).
- Myers S.C, Majluf N. (1984): Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions when Firms Have Information that Investors Do Not Have. "Journal of Financial Economics", Vol. 13, pp. 187-221.
- Ross S.A. (1977): The Determination of Financial Structure: The Incentive Signalling Approach. "Bell Journal of Economics", Vol. 8, pp. 23-40.
- Shyam-Sunder L., Myers S.C. (1999): Testing Static Trade-off Against Pecking Order Models of Capital Structure. "Journal of Financial Economics", Vol. 51, pp. 219-244.
- Titman S., Wessels R. (1988): The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice. "Journal of Finance", Vol. 43 (1), pp. 1-19.