Islam and Traditional Titles in Contemporary Lagos Society: A Historical Analysis
Lagos, an area basically inhabited by the Yoruba speaking people of South Western Nigeria and by extension some other parts of West Africa where Islam, Christianity and the African Traditional Religion are still being practised side by side till date with the Africans still being converted to the new faiths without dropping their traditional religion or cultural affiliations. This ideology is very common to the average African who still believes in his culture which has always tainted his way of life or as far as his religion is concerned should not interfere with his culture as the religion as not tacitly condemned some of these practices. This paper intends to examine the extent to which the Yoruba Muslims have been involved in syncretism especially as regards the introduction of the conferment of titles into the Muslim community. (original abstract)
-  Isichei Elizabeth, History of West Africa since 1800. Africana publishing company, New York, 1977, p. 12.
-  Doi Abdurrahman, Islam in Nigeria. Ghaskiyah Corporation, Zaria. 1984, p. 236.
-  Doi Abdurrahman, Ibid. p. 237.
-  Eades J. I., The YorubaToday. Cambridge University Press, London. 1980. p. 180.
-  Ibid. p. 95.
-  Thanni Raheem,"Alhaji Azeez Ajagbemokeferi and his da'wah activities". An unpublished B.A project submitted to the Department of Arabic and Islamic studies, University of Ibadan, 1986, p. 72.
-  Doi Abdurrahman. p. 202.
-  Adekunle Alli, Brief on Olori Giwa-Giwa title published in the Lagos News , 18th Feb. 1989, p. 3.
-  Oyeweso 'Siyan, Eminent Yoruba Muslims. Rex Charles publications, Ibadan. 1999, p. 3.
-  Akitoye Hakeem," Islam and chieftaincy titles in Lagos Island since 1775" an unpublished thesis submitted to the department of Religions, Lagos State University, and Ojo, 2002. p. 52.
-  Akitoye Hakeem, Ibid. p. 52.
-  Akitoye Hakeem, Ibid. p. 53.
-  Oyeweso 'Siyan, op Cit. p. 126.
-  Ibid.
-  Fafunwa B. A., Up and On: A Nigerian Teachers Odyssey. West African Book Publishers, Lagos. 1990, p. 186.
-  Oyeweso 'Siyan, op, p. 128.