Of Protests and Riots: the Media Coverage of June 2009 Events in Iran and Those of August 2011 in Britain
In the wake of America's post - 9/11 "anti-terrorist" policies the old scenario of regime-change in Iran entered a new phase. The media coverage of the 2009 presidential election and especially the election aftermath in Iran, believed by many to be unprecedented in the history of Western media coverage of any presidential election, was clearly in line with color revolution strategies. Predictably, the BBC and VOA played a key role. Soon afterward, the August and September 2011anti-capitalism protests in London and New York provided a good chance once again to test the Western governments' claim of respecting their people's "right-to-protest." Focusing mostly on the BBC's coverage of the two events, as a case study, and drawing upon insights from colonial and postcolonial studies and critical discourse analysis, this study attempts to investigate how the BBC recontextualized and reported the post-election "protests" in Iran and August 2011 anti-capitalism "riots" in Britain through prepackaged information. (original abstract)
-  Achugar Mariana, Discourse & Society 15(2-3) (2004) 291-320.
-  Allen Chris, "From Race to Religion: the New Face of Discrimination." Muslim Britain: Communities under Pressure. London and New York: Zed books, 2005. 49-65. Print.
-  Amanpour Christian. "Amanpour interviewing Javad Larijani about Human Rights in Iran 21 Feb.2010, Part1."youtube.com. Interview. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKBoPJnoO0>.
-  Ameli Saied R, et al. British Muslims' Expectations of the Government. Vol. 6. England: Islamic Human Rights Commission, 2007. Print.
-  Barzegar Kayhan, Ortadogu Etutleri 1(1) (2009) 27-39.
-  BBC News. "England riots: Scottish police to aid disorder efforts." BBC.com. 10 August 2011. Web. 27 Oct. 2011.<http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/Scottish police to aid disorder efforts.htm>.
-  BBC News. "England riots: The feast of fools?" BBC.com. 6 September 2011. Web. 15 Nov. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/England riots.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Ex-president Khatami 'banned from leaving ran'." BBC.com. 16 April 2010. Web. 22 Oct. 2011.<http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/Ex-president Khatami banned from leaving Iran.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Google Chrome and Earth available in Iran."BBC.com. 19 January 2011. Web.12 Nov. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/GoogleChromeandEarthavailableinIran.htm>.
-  BBC News. "How Iran's opposition inverts old slogans." BBC.com. 7 December 2009. Web. 29 Oct. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/How Iran's opposition inverts old slogans.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Iranians gear up for key anniversary clash." BBC.com. 9 February 2010. Web.27 Oct. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk /BBC/Iranians gear up for key anniversary clash.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Iran police fire tear gas at opposition rally in Tehran."BBC.com. 14 February 2011. Web. 5 Nov. 2011.<http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/Iran police fire tear gas at opposition rally in Tehran.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Iran unrest: MPs call for death of Mousavi and Karroubi." BBC.com. 15 February 2011. Web. 12 Nov. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/Iran unrest MPs call for death of Mousavi and Karroubi.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Ken Clarke says riots 'legacy of broken penal system'." BBC.com. 6 September 2011. Web. 5 Nov. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/Ken Clarke says riots legacy of broken penal system.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Nottingham riots: Dozens of arrests made."BBC.com. 10 August 2011. Web. 5 Nov. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/Dozens of arrests made.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Q&A: Iran protests." BBC.com. 28 December 2009. Web. 22 Oct. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk/BBC/Iran protests.htm>.
-  BBC News. "Social media talks about rioting 'constructive'." BBC.com. 25 August 2011. Web. 16 Nov. 2011. <http://www.bbc.co.uk//Socialmediatalksaboutrioting 'constructive'.htm>.
-  Bennett Clinton. Muslims and Modernity: An Introduction to the Issues and Debates. London: Continuum, 2005. Print.
-  Bingell J. An Introduction to Television Studies. London: Routledge, 2004. Print.
-  Caldas-Coulthard Carmen Rosa. "Cross-Cultural Representation of 'Otherness' in Media Discourse". Critical Discourse Analysis: Theory and Interdisciplinarity. Ed. Gilbert Weiss and Ruth Wodak. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003. 272- 297. Print.
-  Chomsky Noam. Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda. Eds. Greg Ruggiero and Stuart Sahulka. New York: Seven Stories Press, 1991. Web. <http://prernalal.com/banned books/Chomsky, Noam-Media Control-The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda.pdf>.
-  "Chomsky on "Occupy Wall Street" and Israel Imminent Collapse." 4 Oct. 2011. Web. 25 July 2012. <http://www.intifada-palestine.com/2011/10/chomsky-on"Occupy-wallstreet"- and-israel-imminent-collapse/Terrorists or apologists: post-9/11 Muslims and the new racism>.
-  Esposito John L. "Introduction". Islamophobia: The Challenge of Pluralism in the 21stCentury. Eds. John L. Esposito and Ibrahim Kalin. New York: Oxford UP, 2011. xxi-xxxiv. Print.
-  Foucault Michel. Power/Knowledge: Selected Interviews and Other Writings 1972- 1977. Ed. Colin Gordon. New York: Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1980. Print.
-  Hall Stuart. "Encoding/Decoding." Media and Cultural Studies: Key Works. Eds. Meenakshi Gigi Durham and Douglas M. Kellner. Oxford: Blackwell, 2006. 163-174. Print.
-  "Introduction to Media Studies at the Centre."Culture, Media, Language: Working Papers in Cultural Studies, 1972-79. Eds. Stuart Hall, Dorothy Hobson, Andrew Lowe, et al. New York: Routledge, 2005. 104-109. Print.
-  Representation: Cultural Representation and Signifying Practices. London: Sage, 1997. Print.
-  Hodge Robert, Gunther Kress. Language as Ideology. 2nd ed. London: Routledge, 1993. Print.
-  Jennings James E. "The Geo-Strategic Position of Iran." logosjournal.com.logos 4.4 (Fall 2005). Web. 3 July. 2012. <http://www.logosjournal.com/issue_4.4/jennings.htm>.
-  Mondal Anshuman A. Nationalism and Post-colonial Identity: Culture and ideology in India and Egypt. London and New York: Routledge Curzon, 2003. Print.
-  Myers Tony. Slavoj Žizek. London: Routledge, 2003. Print.
-  Said Edward W. Orientalism. New York: Vintage Books. 1978. Print.
-  Sardar Ziauddin, Ehsan Masood. How Do You Know? Reading Ziauddin Sardar on Islam, Science and Cultural Relations. London: Pluto Press, 2006. Print.
-  Talbot Mary. Media Discourse: Representation and Interaction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP. 2007. Print.
-  Tarock Adam, British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies 26(1) (1999) 41-61.
-  Tarock Adam, Third World Quarterly 27(4) (2006) 645-664
-  The Parallax."Slavoj Žižek speaks at Occupy Wall Street: Transcript." 10 Oct. 2011. Web.25 July 2012.<http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/slavoj-zizek-speaks-atoccupy- wall-street-qa-transcript>.
-  Wodak R. "The Genesis of Racist Discourse in Austria". Texts and Practices: Readings in Critical Discourse Analysis. Eds. Carmen. R. Caldas-Coulthard and Malcolm Coulthard. London: Routledge, 1996. 107-28. Print.