Co-operation and Security at the EU-Russian Interface
As an indirect reaction to the events of 9/11, the European Neighbourhood Policy has brought with it the increased securitisation of the external border in both practical and symbolic terms, profoundly changing the nature of crossborder co-operation (CBC). While the pre-9/11 confl ict resolution discourse with a powerful regional development rationale aspired to remove borders as 'scars of history', since then there has been a shift to reinforcing both 'European' values and security policies by means of conditional co-operation across more strictly controlled external borders. This has led to contradictory bordering practices that are refl ected in a competition between co-operation and security-oriented agendas. These bordering practices will be exemplifi ed here by a focus on civil society networks of cross-border co-operation between the EU and Russian civil society organisations which have been crucial for bridging political diff erences and promoting mutual understanding between the two sides. (original abstract)
- Aalto, P. (2004). European Union and the Making of a Wider Northern Europe, London and New York: Routledge.
- Bachmann, V. and Sidaway, J. (2009). Zivilmacht Europa: A Critical Geopolitics of the European Union as a Global Power. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 34(1), 94-109.
- Barbé, E. and Johannson-Nogués, E. (2008) Th e EU as a Modest 'Force for Good': the European Neighbourhood Policy. International Aff airs 84(1), pp. 81-96.
- Berg, E. and P. Ehin (2006). 'What Kind of Border Regime? Towards a Diff erentiated and Uneven Border Strategy', Cooperation and Confl ict, 41 (1), pp. 53 - 71.
- Bialasiewicz, L., Elden, S. and J. Painter (2005). Th e Constitution of EU Territory. Comparative European Politics, 3, pp. 333-363.
- Boswell, C. (2007). Migration Control in Europe aft er 9/11: Explaining the Absence of Securitization. JCMS 45 (3), pp. 589-610.
- Browning, C.S. and P. Joenniemi (2008). Geostrategies of the European Neighbourhood Policy, European Journal of International Relations 14(3), pp. 519-551.
- Commission of the European Communities (1997). Communication from the Commission on promoting the role of voluntary organisations and foundations in Europe, June 6 1997, COM (97) 241 fi nal.
- Commission of the European Communities (2000). Th e Commission and Non-governmental Organisations: Building a Stronger Partnership, Discussion Paper, COM (2000) 11 fi nal, 18 January 2000.
- Commission of the European Communities (2001a). Communication from the Commission of 25 July 2001 "European governance - A white paper". COM (2001) 428 fi nal, 25 July 2001.
- Commission of the European Communities (2001b). Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament on a common policy on illegal immigration. COM(2001) 672 final, 15 November.
- Commission of the European Communities (2003a). Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament: Wider Europe - Neighbourhood: A New Framework for Relations with our Eastern and Southern Neighbours, COM(2003) 104 final.
- Commission of the European Communities (2003b). Communication from the Commission: Paving the way for a New Neighbourhood Instrument, July 1 2003, COM (2003) 393 final.
- Commission of the European Communities (2004a). Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and the Council Laying Down General Provisions Establishing a European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument, COM (2004) 628 final.
- Commission of the European Communities (2004b). Communication from the Commission, European Neighbourhood Policy. Strategy Paper, COM (2004) 373 final.
- Commission of the European Communities (2006a). 'Communication from Commission to the Council and the European Parliament on Strengthening the European Neighbourhood Policy', COM (2006) 726 final.
- Commission of the European Communities (2006b). Non-paper expanding on the proposal contained in the communication to the European Parliament and the Council on "Strengthening the ENP" - COM(2006) 726 final of 4 December 2006.
- Commission of the European Communities (2007). A Stronger European Neighbourhood Policy, Brussels: Commission of the European Communities.
- Commission of the European Communities (2008). Green Paper on Territorial Cohesion: Turning Territorial Diversity into Strength, COM (2008) 616 final.
- Council of the European Union (2001a). 'Conclusions adopted by the Council (Justice and Home Aff airs) SN 3926/6/01'. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/news/terrorism/documents/concl_ council_20sep_en.pdf.
- Council of the European Union (2001b). 'Laeken Presidency Conclusions'. SN 300/ 1/01 Rev 1. Available at: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/ ueDocs/cms_Data/ docs/pressData/en/ec/68827.pdf.
- Filtenborg, M. S., Gänzle, S. and Johansson, E. (2002). An Alternative Th eoretical Approach to EU Foreign Policy: 'Network Governance' and the Case of the Northern Dimension Initiative' Co-operation and Confl ict 37(4), pp. 387-407.
- Fritsch, M. (2009) 'European Territorialization and the Eastern Neighbourhood: Spatial Development Co-operation between the EU and Russia', European Journal of Spatial Development No. 35.
- Houtum, H., van and Pijpers, R. (2007). The European Union as a Gated Community of Fear: Th e Two-faced Border and Immigration Regime of the EU. Antipode 39(2), pp. 291-309.
- Huysmans, J. (2006). The Politics of Insecurity: Fear, Migration and Asylum in the EU. London: Routledge.
- Kendall, J (ed.) (2009). Handbook of Th ird Sector Policy in Europe: Multi- level Processes and Organised Civil Society. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Kostadinova, V. (2009). Th e Commission, ENP and Construction of Borders, Geopolitics, 14(2), pp. 235-255
- Laine, J. and A. Demidov (2012). Civil Society Organizations as Drivers of Cross-Border Interaction: on Whose terms, for Which Purpose?, in: H. Eskelinen, I. Liikanen and J. Scott (eds.), On the Edge of Neighbourhood: Regional Dimensions of the EU-Russia Interface, London and New York: Routledge.
- Lepik, K.-L. (2009). Euroregions as Mechanisms for Strengthening Cross-Border Cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region, TRAMES, 13 (3), pp. 265-282.
- Limné ll, J. (2009). Suomen uhkakuvapolitiikka 2000-luvun alussa. National Defence University, Department of Strategic and Defence Studies Series 1: Strategic Research No 29.
- Manners, I. (2002). Normative Power Europe: A Contradiction in Terms? Journal of Common Market Studies 40(2), pp. 235-258.
- Neal, A.W. (2009). Securitization and Risk at the EU Border: Th e Origins of FRONTEX. JCMS 47 (2), pp. 333-35.
- Petrakos, G. and L. Topaloglou (2008). Economic Geography and European Integration: Th e Eff ects on the EU External Border Regions, Journal for Public Policy, 3 (3/4), pp. 146-162.
- Pickering, S. (2011). Women, Borders, and Violence. Current Issues in Asylum, Forced Migration, and Traffi cking. Berlin: Springer.
- Prodi, R. (2001). Speech by Romano Prodi President of the European Commission "Solidarity the foundation on which Europe stands" Opening session of the European Forum on Economic and Social Cohesion Brussels, 21 May 2001.
- Raik, K. (2006). Promoting Democracy through Civil Society: How to Step Up the EU's Policy Towards the Eastern Neighbourhood, CEPS Working Paper, 237.
- Rumford, C. (2008). Citizens and borderwork in contemporary Europe. London: Routledge.
- Sasse, G. (2008). The European Neighbourhood Policy: Conditionality Revisited for the EU's Eastern Neighbours. Europe-Asia Studies 60(2), pp. 295-316.
- Scott, J.W. (2005). Th e EU and 'Wider Europe': Towards an Alternative Geopolitics of Regional Cooperation? Geopolitics 10 (3), pp. 429-454.
- Scott, J. W. and van Houtum, H. (2009). Refl ections of EU Territoriality and the 'Bordering' of Europe, Political Geography 28 (5), pp. 271-273.
- Scott, J. W. (2011). Reflections on EU Geopolitics: Consolidation, Neighbourhood and Civil Society in the Reordering of European Space, Geopolitics, 16 (1), pp. 146-175.
- Scott, J. W. and I. Liikanen (2010). Civil Society and the Neighbourhood - Reconciling Supranational, National and Local Agendas, Journal of European Integration, 32 (5), pp. 423-438.
- Scott, J.W. (2012). European Politics of Borders, Border Symbolism and Cross-Border Cooperation. In Wilson, T.M. and Hastings, D. (eds.) A Companion to Border Studies, 84-99. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Scott, J.W. (2013). Th e EU's Role n Promoting Cross-Border Co-operation: Perspectives from the Finnish-Russian Border Region. In Ergun A and Isaxanli, H. (eds.) Security and Cross-Border Cooperation in the EU, the Black Sea Region and Souther Caucasus, 22-41.
- Smismans, S. (2003). "Civil Society" in European Institutional Discourses. Les Cahiers européens de Sciences Po, no 04. Paris, Centre d'études européennes at Sciences Po.
- Tocci, N. et al. (2008). Th e EU as a Normative Foreign Policy Actor, CEPS Working Document No. 281, CEPS, Brussels.
- Waver, O. (2000). 'Th e EU as a Security Actor: Reflections from a Pessimistic Constructivist on Post-Sovereign Security Orders'. In Williams, M.C. and Kelstrup, M. (eds.) International Relations Theory and the Politics of European Integration: Power, Security, and Community (London: Routledge)
- Wallace, W. (2003). Looking aft er the Neighbourhood: Responsibilities for the EU-25, Policy Papers of Notre Europe-Groupement des Etudes et de Recherches, 4.
- Walters, W. (2004). 'Th e Frontiers of the European Union: A Geostrategic Perspective', Geopolitics, 9/3, pp. 674-98.
- Will, C and Kendall, J. (2009). A new Treaty for Europe? Towards 'open, transparent and regular dialogue with representative associations and civil society'? in J. Kendall (ed) Handbook of Th ird Sector Policy in Europe: Multi-level Processes and Organised Civil Society. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.