Remuneration of Bank Managers - Problems and Potential Solutions
The issue of the remuneration of bank managers is indicated as one of the fundamental problems of corporate governance and is pointed out as one of irregularities that led to the financial crisis. Based on the literature review, the paper summarizes the identified inadequacies of management compensation systems in banks: overcompensation, short-termism and the related incentive for excessive risk-taking, manipulation by managers, poor disclosure and the lack of proper oversight from the supervisory boards. Another problem is that - although as a rule the management compensation system should be used as a tool to motivate managers (agents) to act in a way to achieve the objectives of the owners (and other legitimate stakeholders) - the literature shows the unequivocal results of the pay-performance research. As the described problems in the banking industry have grown enormously, the recommendations and regulations concerning the management remuneration policies and practices are being enacted. The paper shows however that their implementation raises many problems and challenges. Therefore there is a need to further analyze the issue of designing a proper bank managers' compensation model. The postulates concerning performance evaluation process, linkage with risk, instruments and disclosure are presented.(original abstract)
- Abowd, J. M., Kaplan, D. S., Executive Compensation: Six Questions That Need Answering, NBER Working Paper Series, WP 7124, 1999.
- Acrey, J. C., McCumber, W. R., Nguyen, T. H. T., CEO Incentives and Bank Risk, "Journal of Economics and Business", Vol. 63, Issue 5, p. 456-471, 2011.
- Ayadi, R., Arbak, E., De Groen, P. W., Executive Compensation and Risk Taking in European Banking [in:] Barth, R. J., Lin, C., Wihlborg, C. (eds.), Research Handbook on International Banking and Governance, p. 179-199. Edward Elgar,.2012.
- Balachandran, S., Kogut, B., Harnal, H., The Probability of Default, Excessive Risk, and Executive Compensation: A Study of Financial Services Firms from 1995 to 2008, Columbia Business School Research Paper. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1914542, 2010.
- Banghřj, J., Gabrielsen, G., Petersen, C., Plenborg, T., Determinants of Executive Compensation in Privately Held Firms, "Accounting and Finance", Vol. 50, p. 481-510, 2010.
- BCBS, Enhancing Corporate Governance for Banking Organizations, BIS, Basel, February 2006.
- BCBS, Enhancements to the Basel II Framework, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, BIS, Basel, July 2009.
- BCBS, Compensation Principles and Standards Assessment Methodology, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, BIS, Basel, January 2010a.
- BCBS, Principles for Enhancing Corporate Governance, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, BIS, Basel, March 2010b.
- BCBS, Range of Methodologies for Risk and Performance Alignment of Remuneration, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, BIS, Basel, May 2011a.
- BCBS, Pillar 3 Disclosure Requirements for Remuneration, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, BIS, Basel, July 2011b.
- Bebchuk, L. A., Cohen, A., Spamann, H., The Wages of Failure: Executive Compensation at Bear Stearns and Lehman 2000-2008, ECGI Finance Working Paper No. 287/2010, 2010.
- Bebchuk, L. A., Fried, J. M., Pay Without Performance: The Unfulfilled Promise of Executive Compensation, "Harvard University Press", 2006.
- Bebchuk, L. A., Fried, J. M., Paying for Long-Term Performance, "University of Pennsylvania Law Review", Vol. 158, p. 1915-1959, 2010.
- Bebchuk, L. A., Fried, J. M., Walker, D. I., Managerial Power and Rent Extraction in the Design of Executive Compensation, "University of Chicago Law Review", Vol. 69, pp. 751-846, 2002.
- Bebchuk, L. A., Spamann H., Regulating Bankers' Pay, "Georgetown Law Journal", Vol. 98, p.247-287, 2010.
- Bechmann, K., Raaballe, J., Bad Corporate Governance and Powerful CEOs in Banks: Poor Performance, Excessive Risk-taking, and Misuse of Incentive-Based Compensation, Aarhus University, Retrieved from www.econ.au.dk, 2009.
- Bhagat, S., Bolton, B. J., Bank Executive Compensation and Capital Requirements Reform, available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1781318, 2013.
- Bhattad, M., Kanchan, A., Regulatory Reforms: Governance and Supervision of Remuneration, Capgemini Financial Services, http://www.capgemini.com/insights-and-resources/by-publication/regulatory-reforms-governance-and-supervision-of-remuneration/, 2011.
- Bolton, P., Mehran, H., Shapiro, J. D., Executive Compensation and Risk Taking, FRB of New York Staff Report No. 456, 2011.
- CEBS, High-level Principles for Remuneration Policies, April 2009.
- CEBS, Guidelines on Remuneration Policies and Practices, December 2010.
- Chalevas, C. G., The Effect of the Mandatory Adoption of Corporate Governance Mechanisms on Executive Compensation, "The International Journal of Accounting", Vol. 46, issue 2, p. 138-174, 2011.
- Chen, C. R., Steiner, T. L., Whyte, A. M., Does Stock Option-based Executive Compensation Induce Risk-taking? An Analysis of the Banking Industry, "Journal of Banking & Finance", Vol. 30, Issue 3, p. 915-945, 2006.
- Cheng, I.-H., Hong, H., Scheinkman, J. A., Yesterday's Heroes: Compensation and Creative Risk-Taking, NBER Working Paper No. 16176, 2010.
- Chizema, A., Institutions and Voluntary Compliance: The Disclosure of Individual Executive Pay in Germany, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 16, Number 4, p.359-374, 2008.
- Clementi, G. L., Cooley, T. F., Executive Compensation: Facts, NBER Working Paper Series, WP 15426, 2009.
- Clementi, G. L., Cooley, T. F., Richardson, M., Walter, I., Rethinking Compensation in Financial Firms, [in:] Acharya, V.V., Richardson, M. (eds.), Restoring Financial Stability. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken 2009.
- DeYoung, R., Peng, E., Yan, M., Executive Compensation and the Business Policy Choices at U.S. Commercial Banks, The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Economic Research Working Papers, RWP 10-02, 2010.
- EBA, EBA Guidelines on Internal Governance, September 2011a.
- EBA, Survey on the Implementation of the CEBS Guidelines on Remuneration Policies and Practices, April,12, 2012a.
- EBA, EBA Guidelines on the Data Collection Exercise Regarding High Earners, EBA/GL/2012/5, London, July, 27, 2012b.
- EBF, Remuneration Policies after the Crisis, http://www.ebf-fbe.eu/ uploads/ 27%20April%20Remuneration%20Policies.pdf, 2010.
- Erkens, D., Hung, M., Matos, P., Corporate Governance in the 2007-2008 Financial Crisis: Evidence from Financial Institutions Worldwide, "Journal of Corporate Finance", Vol. 18, p.389-411, 2012.
- European Commission, Corporate Governance in Financial Institutions: Lessons to be Drawn from the Current Financial Crisis, Best Practices. Commission staff working paper: Accompanying document to the Green Paper. Corporate Governance in financial institutions and remuneration policies, SEC(2010) 669 final, Brussels, 2010a.
- European Commission, Green Paper. Corporate Governance in Ffinancial Institutions and Remuneration Policies, June, 2, 2010b.
- European Commission Recommendation of 14 December 2004 fostering an appropriate regime for the remuneration of directors of listed companies, 2004/913/EC, OJ L 385/55.
- European Commission Recommendation of 30 April 2009 on remuneration policies in the financial services sector, C(2009) 3159, Brussels.
- European Commission Recommendation of 30 April 2009 complementing Recommendations 2004/913/EC and 2005/162/EC as regards the regime for the remuneration of directors of listed companies, 2009/385/EC, OJ L 120/28.
- Ezzamel, M., Watson, R., Pay Comparability across and within UK Boards: An Empirical Analysis of the Cash Pay Awards to CEOs and Other Board Members, "Journal of Management Studies", Vol. 39, issue 2, pp. 207-232, 2002.
- Fahlenbrach, R., Stulz, R. M., Bank CEO Incentives and the Credit Crisis, "Journal of Financial Economics", Vol. 99, pp. 11-26, 2011.
- Faulkender, M., Kadyrzhanova, D., Prabhala, N., Senbet, L., Executive Compensation: An Overview of Research on Corporate Practices and Proposed Reforms, "Journal of Applied Corporate Finance", Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 107-118, 2010.
- Fortin, R., Goldberg, G. M., Roth, G., Bank Risk Taking at the Onset of the Current Banking Crisis, "Financial Review", Vol. 45, Issue 4, pp. 891-913, 2010.
- Frydman, C., Saks, R. E., Executive Compensation: A New View from a Long-Term Perspective, 1936-2005, NBER Working Paper No. 14145, 2008.
- FSB, FSB Principles for Sound Compensation Practices - Implementation Standards, September 2009.
- FSB, 2010 Thematic Review on Compensation, Peer Review Report, March, 30, 2010.
- FSB, 2011 Thematic Review on Compensation, Peer Review Report, October, 7, 2011.
- FSF, FSF Principles for Sound Compensation Practices, April, 2, 2009.
- G20, G20 Working Group 1, Enhancing Sound Regulation and Strengthening Transparency. Final Report, March, 25, 2009.
- Gabaix, X., Landier, A., Why Has CEO Pay Increased So Much?, "The Quarterly Journal of Economics", pp. 49-100, February 2008.
- Girma, S., Thompson, S., Wright, P. W., Corporate Governance Reforms and Executive Compensation Determination: Evidence from the UK, The Manchester School, Vol. 75 No. 1, pp. 65-81, 2007.
- Gordon, J. N., Executive Compensation: If There's A Problem, What's the Remedy? The Case for "Compensation Discussion and Analysis, "The Journal of Corporation Law", Vol. 30, Issue 4, pp. 675-702, Summer 2005.
- Greenbury report, Directors' Remuneration. Report of a Study Group chaired by Sir Richard Greenbury, July, 17, 1995.
- Gregg, P., Jewell, S., Tonks, I., Executive Pay and Performance: Did Bankers' Bonuses Cause the Crisis?, "International Review of Finance", Vol. 12, Issue 1, pp. 89-122, 2012.
- Gregory-Smith I., Chief Executive Pay and Remuneration Committee Independence, "Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics", Vol. 74, issue 4, pp. 510-531, 2012.
- Hagendorff, J., Vallascas, F., CEO Pay Incentives and Risk-taking: Evidence from Bank Acquisitions, "Journal of Corporate Finance", Vol. 17, Issue 4, pp. 1078-1095, 2011.
- Hallock, K. F., Oyer, P., The Timeliness of Performance Information in Determining Executive Compensation, "Journal of Corporate Finance", Vol. 5, issue 4, pp. 303-321, 1999.
- Harman, F., Slapnicar, S., Characteristics of Internal Management Control Systems in Slovenian Banks, Banka Slovenije, Ljubljana, Retrieved from www.bsi.si, 2007.
- Harris, D., Helfat, C., Specificity of CEO Human Capital and Compensation, "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 18, pp. 895-920, 1997.
- Hirschey M., Managerial Equity Ownership and Bank Performance: Entrenchment or Size Effects?, "Economics Letters", Vol. 64, Issue 2, pp. 209-213, 1999.
- ICGN, Remuneration Guidelines, July 2006.
- ICGN, Non-executive Director Remuneration Guidelines and Policies, March 2010.
- Institute of International Finance, Final Report to the IIF Committee on Market Best Practices: Principles Conduct and Best Practice Recommendations, Washington 2008.
- Institute of International Finance, Compensation in Financial Services. Industry Progress and the Agenda for Change, March 2009.
- Institute of International Finance, Compensation Reform in Wholesale Banking 2010: Progress in Implementing Global Standards, September 2010.
- Institute of International Finance, Compensation Reform in Wholesale Banking 2011: Assessing Three Years of Progress, October 2011.
- Jensen, M. C, Murphy, K. J., CEO Incentives - It's Not How Much You Pay, But How, "Harvard Business Review", pp. 138-153, May-June 1990.
- Jensen, M. C., Murphy, K. J., Wruck, E. G., Remuneration: Where We've Been, How We Got to Here, What Are the Problems, and How to Fix Them, ECGI Finance Working Paper No. 44, 2004.
- Jensen, M. C., Zimmerman, J. L., Management Compensation and the Managerial Labor Market, "Journal of Accounting and Economics", Vol. 7 , No. 1-3, pp. 3-9, 1985.
- John, K., Qian, Y., Incentive Features in CEO Compensation in the Banking Industry, "FRBNY Economic Policy Review", pp. 109-121, April 2003.
- Khalilulina, D., Nestor, S., A Summary Report on the Corporate Governance of Europe's Top 25 Banks, Nestor Advisors, Autumn 2012.
- Kirkpatrick, G., The Corporate Governance Lessons from the Financial Crisis, "Financial Market Trends", Vol. 2009/1, No. 96, pp. 61-87, 2009.
- Kostiander, L., Ikäheimo, S., "Independent" Consultants' Role in the Executive Remuneration Design Process under Restrictive Guidelines, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 20, Issue 1, pp. 64-83, 2012.
- Kubo, K., Executive Compensation Policy and Company Performance in Japan, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 13 No. 3, pp. 429-436, 2005.
- Larker, D., Tayan, B., A Historical Look at Compensation and Disclosure: Cool and Refreshing!, Stanford Closer Look Series, CGRP-4, 2010.
- Larker, D., Tayan, B., Corporate Governance Matters. A Closer Look at Organizational Choices and Their Consequences. Pearson Education, Upper Saddle River, 2011.
- Mallin, Ch., Corporate Governance, 3rd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford 2007.
- Marcinkowska, M., Corporate Governance in Banks: Problems and Remedies, "Financial Assets and Investing", issue 2/2012, pp. 47-67, 2012.
- Mayers, D., Smith, C. W., Compensation and Board Structure: Evidence from the Insurance Industry, "The Journal of Risk and Insurance", Vol. 77, No. 2, pp. 297-327, 2010.
- McCormack, J., Weiker, J., Rethinking 'Strength of Incentives' for Executives of Financial Institutions, "Journal of Applied Corporate Finance", Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 65-72, 2010.
- McKnight, P. J., An Explanation of Top Executive Pay: A UK Study, "British Journal of Industrial Relations", Vol. 34, Issue 4, pp. 557-566, 1996.
- Murphy, K. J., Executive Compensation, [in:] Ashenfelter. O., Card, D., (eds.), Handbook of Labor Economics, ed. 1, Volume 3B, pp. 2485-2563. Elsevier, 1999.
- Nestor Advisors. Bank boards after the flood. The changing governance of the 25 largest European banks, 2010.
- OECD, Corporate Governance and the Financial Crisis. Key Findings and Main Messages, http://www.oecd.org/corporate/corporateaffairs/corporategovernanceprinciples/43056196.pdf, 2009.
- Ozkan, N., CEO Compensation and Firm Performance: an Empirical Investigation of UK Panel Data, European Financial Management, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 260-285, 2011.
- Rampell, C., Bankers' Salaries vs. Everyone Else's, http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/bankers-salaries-vs-everyone-elses/, 2011
- Rappaport, A., New Thinking on How to Link Executive Pay with Performance, "Harvard Business Review", pp. 91-101. March-April, 1999.
- Schiehll, E., Bellavance, F., Boards of Directors, CEO Ownership, and the Use of Non-Financial Performance Measures in the CEO Bonus Plan, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 17, Issue 1, pp. 90-106, 2009.
- Sheu, H.-J., Chung, H., Liu, Ch.-L., Comprehensive Disclosure of Compensation and Firm Value: The Case of Policy Reforms in an Emerging Market, "Journal of Business Finance & Accounting", Vol. 37, Issue 9 &10, pp. 1115-1144, 2010.
- Shiwakoti, R. K., Ashton, J. K, Keasey, K., Conversion, Performance and Executive Compensation in UK Building Societies, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 12 Number 3, pp. 361-370, 2004.
- Stewart III, G. B., The Quest for Value, "Harper Business", New York 1991.
- Sykes, A., Overcoming Poor Value Executive Remuneration: Resolving the Manifest Conflicts of Interest, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 10, pp.256-260, 2002.
- Tarullo, D. K., Incentive Compensation, Risk Management, and Safety and Soundness, Speech At the University of Maryland's Robert H. Smith School of Business Roundtable: Executive Compensation: Practices and Reforms, Washington, D.C., November, 2, 2009.
- The 15 Best-Paying Big Banks, Forbes, 26.02.2013, http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45egded/the-15-best-paying-big-banks/, 2013.
- Turner, A., A Regulatory Response to the Global Banking Crisis, FSA, 2009.
- Urbanek, P., Nadzór korporacyjny a wynagrodzenia menadżerów [Corporate Supervision v. Managers' Wages]. Wyd. UŁ, Łódź 2005.
- Vafeas, N., Waegelein, J. F., Papamichael, M., The Response of Commercial Banks to Compensation Reform, "Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting", Vol. 20, pp. 335-354, 2003.
- Voulgaris, G., Stathopoulos, K., Walker, M., Compensation Consultants and CEO Pay: UK Evidence, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 18, Issue 6, pp. 511-526, 2010.
- Walker, D., A Review of Corporate Governance in UK Banks and Other Financial Industry Entities. Final recommendations, www.icaew.com/en/library/subject-gateways/corporate-governance/codes-and-reports/walker-report, 2009.
- Ward, M., Director Remuneration: A Gap in the Disclosure Rules, "Corporate Governance: An International Review", Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 48-51, 1998.
- Weber, M., Sensitivity of Executive Wealth to Stock Price, Corporate Governance and Earnings Management, "Review of Accounting and Finance", Vol. 5 Issue 4, pp.321-354, 2006.