Visegrad Countries - Agrarian Foreign Trade Development in Relation to Their Total Merchandise Trade Performance
The paper analyzes merchandise and especially agrarian trade of Visegrad (V4) countries. It especially analyzes their mutual trade relations. The main aim is to identify changes in the agricultural sector which have happened during the last decade and to compare differences existing in the area of merchandise and agricultural trade development. Another very important objective is related to mutual trade realized among V4 countries. In this case the paper identifies basic trends in the area of each country's trade development. Mutual agrarian trade competitiveness is also analyzed. On the basis of the findings, it can be said that merchandise and agricultural trade for each V4 country changed significantly during the analysed time period. In relation to agricultural trade it can be mentioned that it represents only a marginal part of the total merchandise trade. Agrarian trade for individual V4 countries' commodity structures as well as the territorial structure are very significantly concentrated. The predominant majority of agricultural trade - export as well as import - is carried out with EU countries. In this case it is necessary to emphasize that V4 countries are also important trade partners for each other. On the basis of Visegrad countries' mutual trade analysis it is possible to say that the main traders active on the V4 market are the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The most competitive actors operating in the V4 market are Poland and Hungary. If we analyze each country's export performance we can see that the V4 market is dominated by Poland and the Czech Republic. (original abstract)
- Balassa B. : Trade liberalization and 'revealed' comparative advantages. The Manchester School of Economic and Social Studies. Vol.32, No.2, pp. 99-123.
- Bašek V., Kraus J. : Czech foreign agricultural trade after joining the European Union. Agric. Econ. - Czech. Vol. 55, No. 3. pp. 583-595.
- Bojnec Š., Ferto I. : Agro-food trade competitiveness of Central European and Balkan countries. Food Policy. Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 417-425.
- Bussière M., Fidrmuc J., Schnatz B. : EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model. Review of Development Economics. Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 562-576.
- Ciaian P., Pokrivcak J. : Agriculture reforms and development in east-central Europe, in. Sergi, B. - Bagatelas W. - Kubicova J. (eds), Industries and markets in central and eastern Europe, Ashgate, England.
- Ciaian P., Swinnen J.F.M. : 'Land market imperfections and agricultural policy impacts in the new EU member states: A Partial equilibrium analysis'. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. Vol. 88, No. 4, pp. 799-815.
- Drabík D., Bártová L. : An Assessment of the Impact of the EU Enlargement on Agri-food Trade of New EU Member States. SPU, Nitra, 2008.
- Hambalkova M., Rovny P. : The impact of financial crisis on entrepreneurships environment in commerce sphere in the conditions of the Slovak republic. In 12th international scientific days : summeries of presentations and posters, Gyöngyös March 25-26, 2010. Gyöngyös. 2010. pp. 102-107.
- Lafay, G. : The Measurement of Revealed Comparative Advantages in M.G. Dagenais and P.A. Muet eds., International Trade Modeling, Chapman & Hill, London.
- Pohlová K., Tuček P., Kraus J. : Český agrární zahraniční obchod dva roky po vstupu do EU. Ročenka AZO za rok 2005, Praha: VÚZE.
- Pokrivcak J., Ciaian P. : Agricultural reforms in Slovakia. The Czech Journal of Economics and Finance, 2004 , 9-10, pp. 420-435.
- Pokrivcak J., Drabik D. : Agricultural Trade in Central and Eastern Europe. SPU, Nitra, 2008.
- Qineti A., Rajcaniova M., Matejkova E. : The competitiveness and comparative advantage of the Slovak and the EU agri-food trade with Russia and Ukraine. Agric. Econ. - Czech. Vol. 55, No. 8, pp. 375-383.
- Smutka L. : Mutual trade in agricultural products among Visegrad countries - basic development trends. Studia Negotia, Vol. 59, No. 1.pp. 1 - 18.
- Smutka L., Svatoš M., Qineti A., Selby R. :Visegrad countries' agricultural foreign trade development (transformation process). Scientia Agriculturae Bohemica, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 38-46.
- Svatoš M., Smutka L., Elshibani B., Mousbah S. : Development of Visegrad Countries' Agricultural Trade in Relation to Agricultural Production Development. AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 61-71.
- Svatoš M., Smutka L. : Development of agricultural trade and competitiveness of the commodity structures of individual countries of the Visegrad Group. Agricultural Economics (Zemědělská ekonomika), Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 222-238.
- Svatoš M., Smutka L. : Development of Agricultural Trade of Visegrad Group Countries in Relation to EU and Third Countries. AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 55-69.
- Svvatoš M. : Selected trends forming European agriculture. Agric. Econ. - Czech. Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 93 - 101.
- UN COMTRADE. Trade database [on-line]. [Available at:] http://c omtrade.un.org/db/dqQuickQuery. [Access: January 2014].
- WORLD BANK. WDI database [on-line]. [cit. 05/02/2014]. [Available at:] http://data.worldbank.org/datacatalog/world-development-indicators. [Access: February 2014].
- Zaghini A. : Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states. Economics of Transition. Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 629-658.
- Zaghini A. : Trade advantages and specialization dynamics in acceding countries. European Central Bank.