Capital Structure in EU Selected Countries - Micro and Macro Determinants
The paper presents own research on the determinants which have an impact on the capital structure of 1063 companies from selected EU member states. The detailed analysis of empirical data refers to the following countries: Finland, France, Greece, Spain, the Netherlands, Germany, the UK, Romania, Italy, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland and Slovakia. The objective of the paper is to compare capital structure and its determinants in new and old EU member states. The author proves that capital structure is affected not only by the traditional determinants related to a business entity (such as industry, profitability, size and growth potential) but also macroeconomic/institutional factors including economic growth, inflation rates, corporate income taxes, the development of the banking sector and capital markets and national legal frameworks. It is the first time literature has recorded different corporate capital structures in new and old EU member states as well as different capital structure determinants. The empirical material is consistent in terms of the accounting valuation - for the first time recorded in literature - which is proved by the statistical analysis. This paper provides an analysis of the impact of International Accounting Standards on companies' capital structure. The paper presents the hierarchy of capital structure determinants in terms of their statistical significance.(original abstract)
- Aggarwal, R., International Differences in Capital Structure Norms: An Empirical Study of Large European Companies, "Management International Review", 34, 2, pp. 5-18, 1994.
- Akhtar, S., The Determinants of Capital Structure for Australian Multinational and Domestic Corporations, "Australian Journal of Management", 30, 2, pp. 321-341, 2005.
- Al-Sakran, S. A., Leverage Determinants in the Absence of Corporate Tax System: The Case of Non-Financial Publicly Traded Corporation in Saudi Arabia, "Managerial Finance", 27, (10/11), pp. 58-86, 2001.
- Awan, T., Rashid, M., Zia-ur-Rehman, M., Analysis of the Determinants of Capital Structure in Sugar and Allied Industry, "International Journal of Business and Social Science", 2, 1, pp. 221-229, 2001.
- Balakrishnan, S., Fox, I., Asset Specificity, Firm Heterogeneity and Capital Structure, "Strategic Management Journal", 14, 1, pp. 3-16, 1993.
- Bancel, F., Mittoo, U. R., Cross-Country Determinants of Capital Structure Choice: A Survey of European Firms, "Financial Management", 33, 4, pp. 103-132, 2004.
- Baskin, J., Empirical Tests of Capital Structure, "Financial Management", 18, 1, pp. 26-35, 1989.
- Bauer, P., Capital Structure Puzzle: Empirical Evidence from Visegrad Countries, Unpublished PhD Dissertation, Charles University in Prague, Prague 2004.
- Bhaduri, S. N., Determinants of Corporate Borrowing, Some Evidence from the Indian Capital Structure, "Journal of Economics and Finance", 26, 2, pp. 200-215, 2007.
- Bontempi, M. E., The Dynamic of the Modified Pecking Order Theory: Its Relevance to Italy, "Empirical Economics", 27, 1, pp. 1-22, 2002.
- Booth, L., Aivazian, V., Demirguc-Kunt, A., Maksimovic, V., Capital Structure in Developing Countries, "The Journal of Finance", 56, 1, pp. 87-130, 2001.
- Bradley, M., Gregg, J., Han, E. K., On the Existence of an Optimal Capital Structure: Theory and Evidence, "Journal of Finance", 39, 3, pp. 857-878, 1984.
- Burgman, A. T., Empirical Examination of Multinational Corporate Capital Structure, "Journal of International Business Studies", 27, 3, pp. 553-570, 1996.
- Cai, F., Ghosh, A., Tests of Capital Structure Theory: A Binomial Approach, "The Journal of Business and Economic Studies", 9, 2, pp. 20-32, 2003.
- Chaplinsky, S., Niehaus, G., The Determinants of Inside Ownership and Leverage, "Quarterly Journal of Business and Economics", 32, 4, pp. 51-65, 1993.
- Chui, A., Lloyd, A., Kwok, C., The Determination of Capital Structure: Is National Culture a Missing Piece to the Puzzle?, "Journal of International Business Studies", 33, pp. 99-127, 2002.
- Colombo, E., Determinants of Corporate Capital Structure: Evidence from Hungarian Firms, "Applied Economics", 33, 13, pp. 1689-1701, 2001.
- DeAngelo, H., Masulis, R. W., Optimal Capital Structure under Corporate and Personal Taxation, "Journal of Financial Economic", 8, 1, pp. 3-29, 1980.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Developing Country Capital Structure and Emerging Markets Stock Markets, "World Bank Working Paper", 933, pp. 1-42, 1992.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Levine, R., Bank-Based and Market-Based Financial Systems. Cross-Country Comparison, World Bank Working Paper, 2143, pp. 1-72, 1999.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Levine, R., Maksimovic, V., Financial Structure and Economic Development. Firm, Industry, and Country Evidence, World Bank Working Paper, 2423, pp. 1-49, 2000.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Maksimovic, V., Capital Structures in Developing Countries, World Bank Working Paper, 1320, pp. 3-38, 1994.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Maksimovic, V., "Stock Market Development and Firm Financing Choices", World Bank Working Paper, 1461, pp. 3-43, 1995.
- Firth, M., The Impact of Institutional Stockholders and Managerial Interests on the Capital Structure of Firms, "Managerial and Decision Economics", 16, 2, pp. 167-175, 1995.
- Frank, M. Z., Goyal, V. K., Capital Structure Decision, Annual Meeting of American Finance Association, pp. 1-55, 2003.
- Frank, M. Z., Goyal, V. K., Trade-off and Pecking Order Theories of Debt", Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Research Grant, pp. 1-85, 2007.
- Frąckowiak, W. (ed), Strategia kształtowania kapitału stałego jako narzędzie wzrostu wartości przedsiębiorstwa [The strategy of shaping fixed capital as a tool of total corporate value growth], Akademia Ekonomiczna w Poznaniu, Research Grant, 2006.
- Friend, I., Lang, L., An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-Interest on Corporate Capital Structure, "Journal of Finance", 43, 2, pp. 271-281, 1988.
- Giannetti, M., Do Better Institutions Mitigate Agency Problem? Evidence from Corporate Finance Choices, "Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis", 38, 1, pp. 185-212, 2003.
- Gonedes, N. J., Lang, L., Chikaonda, M., Empirical Results on Managerial Incentives and Capital Structure, Working Paper, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1988.
- Li, K., Griffin, D., Yue, H., Zhao, L., National Culture and Capital Structure Decisions: Evidence from Foreign Joint Ventures in China, "Journal of International Business Studies" 42, pp. 477-503, 2011.
- Harris, M., Raviv, A., The Theory of Capital Structure, "Journal of Finance", 46, 1, pp. 297-355, 1991.
- Hofstede, G., The Interaction Between National and Organizational Value Systems, "Journal of Management Studies", 22, 4, pp. 347-357, 1985.
- Hovakimian, A., Opler, T., Titman, S., 2001, The Debt-Equity Choice, "Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis", 36, 1, pp. 1-24, 2001.
- Jahera, J. S., Lloyd, W. P., An Empirical Assessment of Factors Affecting Corporate Debt Levels, "Managerial Finance', 22, 2, pp. 29-38, 1996.
- Jensen, M. C., Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance and Takeovers, "American Economic Review", 76, 2, pp. 247-263, 1986.
- Jensen, M. C., Meckling, W. H., Theory of the Firm Managerial Behaviour, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure, "Journal of Financial Economics", 3, 4, pp. 305-360, 1976.
- Jensen, G., Solberg, D., Zorn, T., Simultaneous Determination of Insider Ownership, Debt, and Dividend Policies, "Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis", 27, 2, pp. 247-263, 1992.
- Joeveer, K., 2006, Sources of Capital Structure: Evidence from Transition Countries, Charles University Working Paper Series, 306, pp. 1-24, September 2006.
- Joeveer, K., What Do We Know about Capital Structure of Small Firms?, Charles University Working Paper Series, 283, pp. 1-38, December 2005.
- Johnson, S. A., The Effect of Bank Debt on Optimal Capital Structure, "Financial Management", 26, 4, pp. 47-56, 1997.
- Jun, S. G., Jen, F. C., Trade-offs Model of Debt Maturity Structure, "Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting", 20, 1, pp. 5-34, 2003.
- Kędzior, M., Wpływ akcjonariuszy na strukturę kapitału [Shareholders' impact on capital structure] [in:] Krawczyk, W. (ed), Budżetowanie działalności jednostek gospodarczych. Teoria i praktyka [Budgeting the business activities of enterprises. Theory and practice], pp. 206-217. Polskie Towarzystwo Ekonomiczne, Kraków 2005.
- Kędzior, M., Wpływ czynników kulturowych na poziom zadłużenia przedsiębiorstw [The impact of cultural factors on the level of enterprise debt], "Problemy Rachunkowości" 4, 23, pp. 40-52, 2005.
- Kester, C. W., Capital and Ownership Structure: A Comparison of United States and Japanese Manufacturing Corporation, "Management", 15, 1, pp. 5-16, 1986.
- Kim, W. S., Sorensen, E. H., Evidence on the Impact of the Agency Costs of Debt in Corporate Debt Policy, "Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis", 21, pp. 131-144, 1986.
- Krishnan, V. S., Moyer, R. C., Determinants of Capital Structure: An Empirical Analysis of Firms in Industrialized Countries, "Managerial Finance", 22, 2, pp. 39-55, 1996.
- LaPorta, R., Lopez-de-Silances, F., Shleifer, F., Vishny, R., Law and Finance, "Journal of Political Economy', 106, 6, pp. 1147-1148, 1998.
- LaPorta, R., Lopez-de-Silances, F., Shleifer, F., Vishny, R., Legal Determinants of External Finance, "Journal of Finance", 52, 3, pp. 1131-1152, 1997.
- Levine, R., Zervos, S., Stock Markets, Banks and Economic Growth, World Bank Working Paper, 1690, pp. 3-33, December 1996.
- Low, P. Y., Chen, K. H., Diversification and Capital Structure: Some International Evidence, "Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting", 23, 1, pp. 55-71, 2004.
- Lowe, J., Naugton, T., Taylor P., The Impact of Corporate Strategy on the Capital Structure of Australian Companies, "Managerial and Decision Economics", 15, pp. 245-257, 1994.
- Majumdar, D. K., Chhibber, P., Capital Structure and Performance: Evidence from a Transition Economy on an Aspect of Corporate Governance, "Public Choice", 9, (3,4), pp. 287-305, 1999.
- Marsh, P., The Choice Between Equity and Debt: An Empirical Study, "Journal of Finance" 37, 1, pp. 121-144, 1982.
- Mcclure, K. G., Clayton, R., Hofler, R. A., International Capital Structure Differences Among the G7 Nations: a Current Empirical View, "The European Journal of Finance", 5, 2, pp. 141-164, 1999.
- Moh'd, M. A., Perry, L. G., Rimbey, J. N., The Impact of Ownership Structure on Corporate Debt Policy: A Time-Series Cross-Sectional Analysis, "The Financial Review", 33, 3, pp. 85-98, 1998.
- Myers, S. C., Capital Structure, "Journal of Economic Perspectives", 15, 2, pp. 575-92, 2001.
- Myers, S. C., Determinants of Corporate Borrowings, "Journal of Financial Economics", 5, 2, pp. 147-175, 1977.
- Nivorozhkin, E., The Dynamics of Capital Structure in Transition Economies, Economics of Planning, 37, 1, pp. 25-45, 2004.
- Nunkooa, K., Boateng, A., The Empirical Determinants of Target Capital Structure and Adjustment to Long-run Target: Evidence from Canadian Firms, "Applied Economics Letters", 17, pp. 983-990, 2010.
- Omer T. C., Terando, W. D., The Effect of Risk and Tax Differences on Corporate and Limited Partnership Capital Structure, "National Tax Journal", 52, 4, pp. 699-715, 1999.
- Panno, A., An Empirical Investigation on the Determinants of Capital Structure: the UK and Italian Experience, "Applied Financial Economics", 13, 2, pp. 97-112, 2003.
- Pittman, J. A., The Influence of Firm Maturation on Tax-Induced Financing and Investment Decisions, "The Journal of the American Taxation Association", 24, 2, pp. 35-59, 2002.
- Qiu, M., Bo, L., Firm Characteristics as Determinants of Capital Structures in Australia International, "Journal of the Economics of Business", 17, 3, pp. 277-287, 2010.
- Rajan, R., Zingales L., What Do We Know about Capital Structure: Some Evidence from International Data, "Journal of Finance", 50, 5, pp. 1421-1460, 1995.
- Scherr, F., Hulburt, H., The Debt Maturity Structure of Small Firms, "Financial Management", 30, pp. 85-111, 2001.
- Smith, G., What are the Capital Structure Determinants for Tax-Exempt Organizations?, "The Financial Review", 45, pp. 845-872, 2010.
- Steil, B., The European Equity Markets. The State of the Union and an Agenda for the Millennium, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, European Capital Markets Institute, Great Britain 1996.
- Um, T., Determination of Capital Structure and Prediction of Bankruptcy in Korea, Unpublished PhD Dissertation, Cornell University, New York 2001.