Empirical Investigation of Risk Tacking Channel of Monetary Policy in Iran
This study deals with investigation of existence of monetary policy risk channel in the economy of Iran. For the same purpose, the seasonal data of macroeconomic variables are used in such a manner that changes in interest rate as an indicator of monetary policy and bank leverage ratio as an indicator of risk are considered. Using VAR approach and Impulse response functions, the experimental test of channel of monetary policy risk in the economy of Iran was examined. The results showed that an expansionary monetary policy which occurs by decrease in interest rates causes that risk of bank system to be increased. In addition, it should be stated that inflation had positive impacts and economic growth had negative impacts on the risk of bank system. (original abstract)
- Abdul Karim, Z and et al (2010), "Bank lending channel of monetary policy: dynamic panel data evidence from Malaysia", MPRA Paper No. 26157. 21-44.
- Adams, R and Amel, D (2005)," The Effects of Local Banking Market Structure on the Bank-Lending Channel of Monetary Policy", Division of Research and Statistics, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
- Adrian, T and H Shin (2009): "Financial intermediaries and monetary economics", Federal Reserve Bank of New York Staff Reports, no 398.
- Adrian, T. and Shin, H.S. (2009a), "Money, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy", American Economic Review, Vol. 99, No. 2, pp. 600-605.
- Adrian, T. and Shin, H.S. (2009b), "Financial Intermediation and Monetary Economics", Federal Reserve Bank of New York Staff Reports, No. 398.
- Alessi, L. and Detken, C. 2011. Quasi Real Time Early Warning Indicators for Costly Asset Price Boom/bust Cycles: A Role for Global Liquidity. European Journal of Political Economy, 27(3), 520-533.
- Allen, Franklin, and Douglas Gale, 2000, Comparing Financial Systems (MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachussetts).
- Allen, Franklin, and Douglas Gale, 2004, Financial intermediaries and markets, Econometrica 72, 1023-1061.
- Altunbas, Y, L Gambacorta and D Marqués Ibañez (2009): "An empirical assessment of the risk-taking channel", paper presented at the BIS/ECB conference on "Monetary policy and financial stability", 10-11 September.
- Angeloni, Ignazio, Faia, Ester and Lo Duca, Marco, Monetary Policy and Risk Taking (January 1, 2013). SAFE Working Paper No. 8. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2230335 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2230335.
- Bekaert, Geert, Marie Hoerova, and Marco Lo Duca (2010). "Risk, Uncertainty and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Paper Number 16397, September.
- BEŅKOVSKIS, K. (2008), Is there a bank lending channel of monetary policy in Latvia? Evidence from bank level data, Latvijas Ban,. 1-45.
- Bernanke, B. S. and A. S. Blinder (1992),"The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission", American Economic Review, 82(4), 901-921.
- Bernanke, B. S. and A. S. Blinder (1992),"The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission", American Economic Review, 82(4), 901-921
- Bernanke, B. S. and M. Gertler (1995)," Inside the Black Box: the Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission", Journal of Economic Perspectives, 9(4), 27-48.
- Bichsel, R and Perrez, J. (2005), In Quest of the Bank Lending Channel: Evidence for Switzerland Using Individual Bank Data, Schweizerische Zeitschrift fur Volkswirtschaft.
- Borio, C and H Zhu (2008): "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?", BIS Working Papers, no 268.
- Boyd, John H. & Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Financial intermediary-coalitions," Journal of Economic Theory, 38(2), 211-232.
- Bruno, Valentina and Hyun Song Shin (2012) "Capital Flows, Cross-Border Banking and Global Liquidity" working paper, Princeton University.
- Calomiris and Khan (1991), 'The Role of Demandable Debt in Structuring Optimal Banking Arrangements', American Economic Review, 81(3).
- Cetorelli, Nicola and Linda S. Goldberg (2012) "Banking Globalization and Monetary Transmission" Journal of Finance, 67(5), 1811-1843
- Chari, V.V., Lawrence J. Christiano, and Martin Eichenbaum, 1995, "Inside Money, Outside Money and Short Term Interest Rates." Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 27, 1354-86.
- Christiano, Lawrence J., Roberto Motto, and Massimo Rostagno, 2003, 'The Great Depression and the Friedman-Schwartz Hypothesis,' Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 35(6.2), 1119-1198.
- Christiano, Lawrence J., Roberto Motto, and Massimo Rostagno. 2007, 'Shocks, Structures or Policies? The Euro Area and the US After 2001,' Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 32(8), 2476-2506. December 1987, pp. 217-235.
- Diamond DW, Dybvig PH (1983). "Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity". Journal of Political Economy.
- Diamond, D and R Rajan (2009): "Illiquidity and interest rate policy", NBER Working Paper Series, no 15197.
- Drucker, S and M Puri (2009): "On loan sales, loan contracting and lending relationships", Review of Financial Studies, 22, 2835-2872.
- Eugene F. Fama, 1985," What's Different About Banks?", Journal of Monetary Economics, 15(1), 29-39.
- Gambacorta, L and Emilio Mistrulli, P. (2004),"Does bank capital affect lending behavior?", Journal of Financial Intermediation, 13, 436-457.
- Gambacorta, L. (2005)," Inside the banklending channel", European Economic Review, 49, 1737-1759.
- Gomez-Gonzalez, J and GROSZ, F. (2007)," Evidence of a bank lending channel for Argentina and Colombia", CUADERNOS DE ECONOMIA, 44, 109-126.
- Goodhart C. and B. Hoffman (2008), "House Prices, Money, Credit and the Macroeconomy", European Central Bank Working Paper No. 888
- Gregory E. Elliehausen & John D. Wolken, 1990. "Banking markets and the use of financial services by small and medium- sized businesses," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 801-817.
- Gunji, H and Yuan, Y. (2010),"Bank profitability and the bank lending channel: Evidence from China", Journal of Asian Economics, 21, 129-141.
- Gunji, H. and Y. Yuan (2009),"Bank profitability and the bank lending channel: Evidence from China", Journal of Asian Economics, 21, 129-141.
- Hernando, I and Pagez, J (2001)," Is there a bank lending channel of monetary policy in spain? ECB ", Working Paper 99, 1-54.
- Iacoviello, M. and Minetti, R. (2008)," The credit channel of monetary policy: Evidence from the housing market.", Journal of Macroeconomics, 30, 69-96.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Ester Faia & Roland Winkler, 2011. "Debt Consolidation and Financial Stability," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, 62(6), 1067-1079.
- Ignazio Angeloni, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Risk Taking," Working Papers 380, Bruegel. James, Christopher, "Some Evidence of the Uniqueness of Bank Loans," Journal of Financial Economics,
- Kakes, Jan, 1998. "Monetary transmission and business cycle asymmetry," Research Report 98C36, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Kashyap A.K. and Stein J.C. (1995), "The Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Balance Sheets", Carnegie Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, 42, 151-195.
- Kashyap, A. K. and J. C. Stein (2000)," What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?", American Economic Review, 90(3), 407- 428.
- Kishan, R. P. and Opiela T. P. (2000)," Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel", Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 32(1), 121-141.
- Leo De Hann (2001), "The Credit Channel in the Netherlands: Evidence from Bank Balance Sheets", Internet.
- Mark Mink, 2011. "Procyclical Bank Risk-Taking and the Lender of Last Resort," DNB Working Papers 301, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Matousek, S and Sarantis, N. (2009),"The bank lending channel and monetary transmission in Central and Eastern European countries", Journal of Comparative Economics, 37, 321-334.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivero, M., Li, Y and Jeon, B. (2010)," Competition in banking and the lending channel: Evidence from bank-level data in Asia and Latin America", Journal of Banking & Finance.
- Rajan, R (2005): "Has financial development made the world riskier?", National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper Series, no 11728.
- Ramı´rez, C. (2004),"Monetary policy and the credit channel in an open economy", International Review of Economics and Finance, 13, 363-369.
- Stein, J. C. (1998)," An Adverse-selection Model of Bank Asset and Liability Management with Implications for the Transmission of Monetary Policy", Rand Journal of Economics, 29(3), 466-486.
- Wickens, Michael R., 2011. "A DSGE model of banks and financial intermediation with default risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 8556, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.