Green Supplier Selection in Edible Oil Production by a Hybrid Model Using Delphi Method and Green Data Envelopment Analysis (GDEA)
An organization's environmental performance is affected by its suppliers' environmental performance, and selecting green suppliers is a strategic decision in order to be more competitive in today's global market. By developing green movement across the globe, organizations are under pressure to reduce the emissions across their supply chain. Formerly the food production systems was oriented and optimized to satisfy economic demands and the nutritional needs of a rapidly growing world population. The food production industry requires large inputs of resources and causes several negative environmental effects. In recent years, environment factors rapidly emerging as an important issue for decision makers in food industries. This study identifies best supplier in holistic perspective for edible oil production, and proposes a hybrid model using Delphi method and Green Data Envelopment Analysis (GDEA). Delphi method identifies the main criteria influenced in supplier selection process based on opinion of company purchase experts. GDEA evaluates the overall performances of suppliers and choose green supplier. Proposed hybrid model applied to a well-known company who produce edible oil (palm, soybean and olive oil) to evaluate green suppliers (among 13 main potential suppliers). Delphi questionnaire included 17 factors which were from financial, services, qualitative and environmental factors. The factors with the highest Delphi score (raw material price, quality, delivery and carbon footprint) entered in DEA model and high efficiency suppliers selected. Results showed that the most efficient raw oil suppliers of company are: S4 among soybean oil suppliers, P1 among palm oil suppliers and O3 among olive oil suppliers. Also palm oil not only has fewer price and carbon footprint but also the highest mean efficiency. (original abstract)
-  Sean R.F., A new approach for selecting slightly non-homogeneous vendors, Journal of Advances in Management Research, 6, 2, 144-153, 2009.
-  Handfield R. et al., Applying environmental criteria to supplier assessment: a study in the application of the analytical hierarchy process, European Journal of Operational Research, 141, 70-87, 2002.
-  Govindan K. et al., Multi criteria decision making approaches for green supplier evaluation and selection: a literature review, Journal of Cleaner Production, XXX, 1-18, 2013.
-  Kumar A., Jain V., Kumar S., A comprehensive environment friendly approach for supplier selection, Omega, 42, 109-123, 2014.
-  Noci G., Designing "green" vendor rating systems for the assessment of a suppliers environmental performance, European Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 3, 2, 103-114, 1997.
-  Chiou C.Y., Hsu C.W., Hwang W.Y., Comparative investigation on green supplier Selection of the American, Japanese and Taiwanese electronics industry in China, International Conference on IE&EM, IEEE 8-11 Dec., pp. 1909-1914, 2008.
-  Grisi R.M., Guerra L., Naviglio G., Supplier performance evaluation for green supply chain man-agement, Business Performance Measurement and Management, 4, 149-163, 2010.
-  Hsu C.W., Hu A.H., Applying hazardous substance management to supplier selection using analytic network process, Journal of Cleaner Production, 17, 255-264, 2009.
-  Büyüközkan G., Cifci G., Evaluation of the green supply chain management practices: a fuzzy ANP approach, Production Planning & Control, iFirst: 1-14, 2010.
-  Buyukozkan G., Cifci G., A novel fuzzy multicriteria decision framework for sustainable supplier selection with incomplete information, Computers in Industry, 62, 164-174, 2011.
-  Kumar A., Jain V., Supplier selection: a green approach with carbon footprint monitoring, International Conference on SCMIS, IEEE 6-9 Oct., pp. 1-9, 2010.
-  Ho W., Xu X., Dey P.K., Multi-criteria decision making approaches for supplier evaluation and selection: A literature review, European Journal of Operational Research, 202, 1, 16-24, 2010.
-  Prusty S.K. et al., GOS tree (Goal-Objective-Strategy tree) approach to strategic planning using a fuzzy-Delphi process: an application to the Indian Shrimp Industry, Technol. Forecast. Soc., 77, 3, 442-456, 2010.
-  Listone H.A., Turoff M., The Delphi Method: Techniques and Applications, College of Computing Sciences. Newark, NJ: New Jersey Institute of Technology, 2002.
-  Lal R., Carbon emission from farm operations, Environment International, 30, 7, 981-990, 2004.
-  Mohammadi A. et al., Energy use efficiency and greenhouse gas emissions of farming systems in north Iran, Journal of cleanear production, 30, 724-733, 2014.
-  Rinaldi S., Barbanera M., Lascaro E., Assessment of carbon footprint and energy performance of the extra virgin olive oil chain in Umbria, Italy, Science of The Total Environment, 482-483, 71-79, 2014.
-  Charnes A., Cooper W.W., Rhodes E., Measuring the efficiency of decision making units, European Journal of Operational Research, 2, 429-444, 1978.
-  Banker R.D., Charnes A., Cooper W.W., Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis, Management Science, 30, 1078-1092, 1984.
-  Salomone R., Loppolo G., Environmental impacts of olive oil production: a Life Cycle Assessment case study in the province of Messina (Sicily), Journal of Cleanear Production, 28, 88-100, 2012.
-  V2.0, E.D., Ecoinvent Data V3.0. Ecoinvent reports No. 1-25 Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories, available from: http://www.ecoinvent.org/, 2014.
-  FAOSTAT, Databank of Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, available from: http://faostat.fao.org/, 2014.
-  Nucci B. et al., Improving the environmental performance of vegetable oil processing through LCA, Journal of Cleanear Production, 64, 4, 310-322, 2014.
-  Kinnon A.M., Guidelines for Measuring and Managing CO2 Emission from Freight Transport Operations, The European Chemical Industry Council, 2011.
-  Searate, http://www.searates.com/reference/portdistance/, 2014.
-  Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking oil, 2014.