Ingrida Griesiene, Price Discrimination : a Comparative Study of Business Universities in Lithuania
The paper reflects on the phenomenon of price discrimination, evaluating the theoretical background, which is further adapted to the theory of tertiary education. The main focus is to identify the forms and levels of price discrimination in two selected business universities in Lithuania, as a fundamental comparative analysis discloses that pricing strategies differ from university to university, but the price discrimination fact stays constant as our study shows. The most popular way of price discrimination at the university level, as our study shows, is third-degree price discrimination. (original abstract)
- Almgren, E. (2009), Ranking of universities and higher education institutions for student information purposes? Report No 2009:27R, Swedish National Agency for Higher Education; available online at http://www.hsv.se/download/18.3127d9ec12496ad89237ffe857/0927R.pdf, referred on 02/04/2010.
- Aristovnik, A., Pungartnik, A. (2009), Analysis of reaching the Lisbon strategy targets at the national level: the EU-27 and Slovenia, Transylvanian review of administrative sciences, Vol. 27, No 10, pp.5-21.
- Armstrong, M. (2006), Price Discrimination, pp.1-38, available online at http://else.econ.ucl.ac.uk/papers/uploaded/222.pdf, referred on 02/04/2010.
- Bishop, P.C., Colwell, P.F. (1989), Price discrimination and the financial aid process, Illinois Business Review, June 22; available online at http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-13605902/price-discrimination-and-financial.html, referred on 02/04/2010.
- Boroch, D., Hope, L., Smith, B., Gabriner, R., Mery, P., Johnstone, R., Asera, R. (2010), Student Success in Community Colleges: A Practical Guide to Developmental Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Casse, D., Manno, V.M. (1998), The cost and price of college and the value of higher education, Academic Questions, Vol. 11. No 4, pp. 38-54.
- Chen, M. (2010), Education Nation, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Dibb, S., Simkin, L. (2004), Marketing Briefs: A Revision and Study Guide, 2nd Editon, Oxford: Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Drake, M. (2005), Price Discrimination Notes, available at http://www2.isye.gatech.edu/~jswann/teaching/6230/PriceDiscriminationV2.pdf, referred on 03/04/2010.
- Dubra, E., Kasalis, E., Purmalis, K. (2008), Research Study of Labour Force Supply and Labour Market Demand of National Economy in Latvia, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 7, No 3(15), Supplement C, pp.236-253.
- Ehrenberg, R.G. (2002), Tuition Rising: Why College Costs So Much, Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Ellis-Christensen, Tricia (2010), What is price discrimination? Available at WiseGeek.com info: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-price-discrimination.htm, referred on 14/05/2010.
- Farrell, O.C., Hartline, M.D. (2008), Marketing Strategy, 4th Edition, Mason: Thomson South-Western.
- Field, S., Kuczera, M., Pont, B. (2007), No More Failures: Ten Steps to Equity in Education (in the series Education and Training Policy), Paris: OECD Publishing, 159 p.
- Gadziyev, S., Grundey, D., Bilan, Y., Sergi, B.S. (eds.) (2009), Business Development and Markets in the European Economic Area, Monograph. Kiev, Azerbaijan State Economic University (Azerbaijan), Foundation of International Studies (Ukraine), Centre of Sociological Research (Ukraine).
- Grundey, D. (2008), TQM in University Studies: Quality Assessment and Quality Assurance in a Lithuanian University, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 7, No 2(14), Supplement B, pp.216-235.
- Grundey, D., Sarvutyte, M. (2007a), The Implications of Financing Higher Education in the Context of Labour Force Migration: The Case of Lithuania, Technological and Economic Development of Economy, Vol. 13, No 3, 2007, p. 208-213.
- Grundey, D., Šavriņa, B., Kanapickienė, R. (2007b), Applying the Principles of Sustainability in University Management: A Comparative Analysis, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 6, No 2(12), pp.67-86.
- Konkurrensverket (2005), The Pros and Cons of Price Discrimination, Elanders Gotab AB, 214 p., available online at http://www.konkurrensverket.se/upload/Filer/Trycksaker/Rapporter/Pros&Cons/rap_pros_and_cons_pricediscrimination.pdf, referred on 12/12/2010.
- Kotler, Ph., Keller, K. L. (2006), Marketing management. 12th edition. Upper Saddle River: Pearson Prentice Hall p. 453 - 454.
- Lancaster, G., Withey, F. (2006), Marketing Fundamentals: The Official CIM Course 2006-2007, Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Mankiw, N.G. (2009), Principles of Economics, 5th Edition, Mason: South-Western.
- Mitra, K., Louis, M., Capella, L.M. (1997), Strategic Pricing Differentiation in Services: A Re-examination, Journal of Services Marketing, Vol. 11, No 5, pp. 329 - 343.
- OECD (2003), Glossary of Industrial Organisation Economics and Competition Law, compiled by R. S. Khemani and D. M. Shapiro, commissioned by the Directorate for Financial, Fiscal and Enterprise Affairs, OECD.
- OECD (2010), Trends Shaping Education-2010, Paris: OECD Publishing, 94p.
- Official website of ISM University of Management and Economics: http://www.ism.lt/,referred on 2011-03-03.
- Official website of the International Business School at Vilnius University: http://www.tvm.lt/lt, referred on 2011-03-03.
- Paulsen (2000), Economic Perspectives on Rising College Education: A Theoretical and Empirical Explanation, (in:) Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research, Volume XV, Agathon Press, pp.39-104.
- Philps, L. (1985), The Economics of Price Discrimination, Cambridge University Press.
- Riley, G., College, E. (2006), Price discrimination. Available at: http://tutor2u.net/economics/revision-notes/a2-micro-price-discrimination.html Referred on 29/01/2011.
- Sandler, C. (2006), Cut college costs NOW! Surefire ways to save thousands of dollars: Inside Tips from College Administrators, Financial Planners, and Tax Advisers, Avon: Adams Media.
- Savrina, B., Kalnmeiere, I. (2006), Reflection of Income Inequality on Consumption Expenditure: The Case of Latvia, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 5, No 1(9), pp.101-131.
- Stole, L.A. (2006), Price Discrimination and Competition, 178 p., available online at http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/lars.stole/papers/pdce.pdf, referred at 12/12/2010.
- Vedder, R. (2004), Going Broke by Degree: Why College Costs too Much, Washington: American Enterprise Institute.
- Włodarczyk-Śpiewak, K., Korpysa, J. (2006), Changes of Labour Market as the Main Determinant of Inequalities in the Consumption Structure in Polish Households, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 5, No 2(10), pp.106-136.
- Your Dictionary (2010), Business & money definition: price discrimination, available online at http://www.yourdictionary.com/business/price-discrimination, referred on 02/04/2010.
- Zaharia, R., Cruceru, A.F., Angheluta, A.V. (2009b), Competitive and Anti-Competitive Strategies on the Romanian Market, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 8, No 3(18), Supplement A, pp. 60-76.
- Zaharia, R.M. (2009), Performance of Academic Research in Romania: The View of Academics from Bucharest University of Economics, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 8, No 3(18), Supplement A, pp.145-163.
- Zaharia, R.M., Olteanu, V., Pop, N.A. (2009a), Interdisciplinary in Economics and Business Administration: The Romanian Higher Education Experience, Transformations in Business & Economics, Vol. 8, No 3(18), Supplement A, pp.179-193.