Setup Analysis : Combining SMED with Other Tools
The purpose of this paper is to propose the methodology for the setup analysis, which can be implemented mainly in small and medium enterprises which are not convinced to implement the setups development. The methodology was developed after the research which determined the problem. Companies still have difficulties with a long setup time. Many of them do nothing to decrease this time. A long setup is not a sufficient reason for companies to undertake any actions towards the setup time reduction. To encourage companies to implement SMED it is essential to make some analyses of changeovers in order to discover problems. The methodology proposed can really encourage the management to take a decision about the SMED implementation, and that was verified in a production company. The setup analysis methodology is made up of seven steps. Four of them concern a setups analysis in a chosen area of a company, such as a work stand which is a bottleneck with many setups. The goal is to convince the management to begin actions concerning the setups improvement. The last three steps are related to a certain setup and, there, the goal is to reduce a setup time and the risk of problems which can appear during the setup. In this paper, the tools such as SMED, Pareto analysis, statistical analysis, FMEA and other were used. Implementing the proposed methodology can change the attitude of the management. The risk analysis helps to prevent problems with a setup. This methodology can be used in production companies which make changeovers, particularly, in the companies where SMED hasn't been introduced yet. (original abstract)
-  Majowicz M., Using chosen Lean manufacturing tools for setup time shortening in Zakład Artykułow Ściernych ARMES in Nisko [in Polish], Unpublished work carried out under the direction of Dorota Stadnicka, PhD. 2011.
-  Ohno T., Toyota Production System: Beyond Large-Scale Production, Productivity Press, 1988.
-  Cousens A., Szwejczewski M., Sweeney M., A process for managing manufacturing flexibility, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 29, 4, 357-385, 2009.
-  Laugen B.T., Acur N., Boer H., Frick J., Best manufacturing practices: What do the best-performing companies do?, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 25, 2, 131-150, 2005.
-  Shingo S., A Revolution in Manufacturing: The SMED System, Productivity Press, 1985.
-  Hines P., Holweg M., Rich N., Learning to evolve: A review of contemporary lean thinking, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 24, 10, 994-1011, 2004.
-  Moreira A.C., Single Minute Exchange of Die. A Case Study Implementation", Journal of Technology Management & Innovation, 6, 1, 129-146, 2011.
-  Władysiak R., Reengineering of Permanent Mould Casting with Lean Manufacturing Methods, Archives of Foundry Engineering, 7, 3, 205-212, 2007.
-  Pacana A., Zaborowski M., Production organization with the use of the SMED method in pharmaceuticals company [in Polish, abstract in English], Zarządzanie Przedsiębiorstwem, 1, 61-69, 2009.
-  Grzybowska K., Gajdzik B., Optimization of equipment setup process in enterprises, Metalurgija, 51, 4, 555-558, 2012.
-  Kumar B.S., Abuthakeer S.S., Implementation of Lean Tools and Techniques in an Automotive Industry, Journal of Applied Sciences, 12, 10, 1032-1037, 2012.
-  Allahverdi A., Soroush H.M., The significance of reducing setup times/setup costs, European Journal of Operational Research, 187, 3, 978-984, 2008.
-  McIntosh R.I., Culley S.J., Mileham A.R., Owen G.W., Changeover improvement: A maintenance perspective, International Journal of Production Economics, 73, 153-163, 2001.
-  Van Goubergen D., Van Landeghem H., Rules for integrating fats changeover capabilities into new equipment design, Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 18, 205- 214, 2002.
-  Singh B.J., Khanduja D., Design for set-ups: a step towards quick changeovers in foundries, International Journal of Sustain design, 1, 4, 402-422, 2011.
-  Antosz K., Sęp J., Effective management of technological machines system in a production company, Management and Production Engineering Review, 1, 4, 5-12, 2010.
-  Cakmakci M., Process improvement: performance analysis of the setup time reduction-SMED in the automobile industry, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 41, 1-2, 168-179, 2009.
-  Singh B.J., Khanduja D., Risk management in complex changeovers through CFMEA: an empirical investigation, International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, 10, 4, 470-494, 2012.
-  Jagoda-Sobalak D., Knosala R., Application of de BONO'S creative thinking in the implementation of SMED on the example of the practical [in Polish, abstract in English], Zarządzanie Przedsiębiorstwem, 2, 13-21, 2011.
-  Van Goubergen D., An Integrated Change Framework for Setup Reduction, Proceedings of the 2009 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Miami, FL, USA, pp. 1549-1554, 2009.
-  Cakmakci M., Karasu M.K., Set-up time reduction process and integrated predetermined tome system MTM-UAS: A study of application in a large size company of automobile industry, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 33, 334-344, 2007.
-  Trovinger S.C., Bohn R.E., Setup Time Reduction for Electronics Assembly: Combining Simple (SMED) and IT-Based Methods, Production and Operations Managmenet, 14, 2, 205-217, 2005.
-  Bansal S., Reddy N.V., Automatic set-up planning using a neutral part data exchange format, International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology, 3, 2, 107-125, 2011.
-  Sherali H.D., Goubergen D.V., Landeghem H.V., A quantitative approach for scheduling activities to reduce set-up in multiply machine lines, European Journal of Operational Research, 187, 1224-1237, 2008.
-  Zielecki W., Stadnicka D., Machine setup times shortening with use of SMED method and evolution of its efficiency, in Production Engineering, Innovations & Technologies of the Future, Wroclaw University of Technology, Wrocław, pp. 233-240, 2011.