Sources of Finance Available for SME Sector in Pakistan
Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) are engines of growth for developed and developing countries. Developing countries like Pakistan must pay special attention towards its development and growth which is very essential for country's economic growth, economic development, employment generation, income equality, poverty alleviation, entrepreneurial culture etc. But unfortunately this sector is under performing due to many barriers including improper infra-structure, regulatory requirements difficulties, shortage of skilled HR, non competitive products, lack of entrepreneurial expertise, small scope of business and risk of default but above all access to finance is the major barrier that is facing by SMEs. This research paper examines the sources of finance (formal and informal) that are available for SMEs and also highlights the issues that create hindrance in effective flow of financial facilities to SMEs especially SEs (Small Enterprises). The research paper concludes that sufficient and easy availability of finance is the key to success for SMEs in Pakistan. (original abstract)
- Sas Aruwa (2013), "Financing Options for Small and Medium Scale Enterprises in Nigeria".
- Cerasela Pirvu and Laura Giurca Vasilescu and Anca (2008), "Banking financing for Romanian SMEs- Challenges and Opportunities".
- Rehana Kousar, Anum Durani, Farheen Zahra Hussain and Masood ul Hasan (2012), "Investigation of Banker's Lending Criteria to SMEs and Assessment Thereoff".
- Syed Kamran Sherazi, Muhammad Zubair Iqbal, Muhammad Asif, Kashif-ur-Rehman and Syed Saad Hussain Shah (2013), "Obstacles to Small and Medium Enterprises in Pakistan, Principal Component Analysis Approach".
- Kashif Hamid and Abaidullah (2006), "Financing the Small and Medium Enterprises in Faisalabad".
- E.C.Gbandi & G. Amissah (2014), "Financing Options for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Nigeria".
- Joseph Kofi Nkuah, John Paul Tanyeh & Kala Gaeten (2013), "Financing Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Ghana: Challenges and Determinants in Accessing Bank Credit".
- Mehboob UL Hassan (2008), "Microfinance in Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Pakistan: Practices and Problems in the Prevailing System and Prospects for Islamic Finance".
- State Bank of Pakistan, Prudential Regulations for SMEs.
- International Finance Corporation quarterly report 2012.
- State Bank of Pakistan quarterly report for SMEs 2008