Functionality of Product Packaging : Surveying Consumers' Attitude Towards Selected Cosmetic Brands
The paper reviews the functions of product packaging and applies the theoretical findings to the empirical research, focusing on secondary and primary data of packaging of cosmetic products. A survey was performed in Kaunas City, Lithuania, to determine the consumers' opinion on four selected cosmetic brands: two brands from Lithuania and two of foreign origin, namely a) Optima Linija and BIOK; b) The Body Shop and L'Occitane. The chosen cosmetic brands are presented as separate mini case studies with a diagnostic comparison at the end. Further on, these brands were evaluated by respondents in Kaunas City (Lithuania), concerning their packaging and characteristics of its functionality. (original abstract)
- Angela Da Rocha, da A., Silva, da J.F. (2008). International marketing. In: M.J. Baker and S.J. Hart (eds.) The Marketing Book, 6th Edition, Amsterdam: Butterworth-Heinemann is an imprint of Elsevier.
- Blythe, J. (2005), Essentials of Marketing, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall & Financial Times, Pearson Education.
- Boone, L.E., Kurtz, D.L., MacKenzie, H.F., Snow, K. (2010). Contemporary Marketing. 2nd Canadian Edition, Nelson Education Limited.
- Brennan, J.G., Butters, J.R, Cowell, N.D., Lilley, A.E. (1990). Food Engineering Operations, Elsevier App. Sci., London, New York.
- Chernatony, de L. (2008). Brand Building. In: M.J. Baker and S.J. Hart (eds.) The Marketing Book, 6th Edition, Amsterdam: Butterworth-Heinemann is an imprint of Elsevier.
- Copley, P. (2004). Marketing Communications Management: concepts and theories, cases and practices, Amsterdam, Butterworth-Heinemann is an imprint of Elsevier.
- INCPEN (undated), Understanding packaging, The Industry Council for Packaging and the Environment, Reading, England; available at http://www.packagingfedn.co.uk /images/fact%20sheets/Understand.pdf, referred on 18/02/2010.
- Jacobs, L., Keown, C., Worthley, R. (1991). "Cross-cultural comparisons: global marketers beware!", International Marketing Review, Vol. 8, No 3, pp.21-30.
- Kotler, P. (2002). Marketing Management. Millennium Edition. New York, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Kotler, P., Armstrong, G., Wong, V., Saunders, J. (2008), Principles of Marketing, 5th European Editon, Harlow: Pearson Education Ltd.
- Lockhart, H. (1997). "A paradigm for packaging", Packaging Technology and Science, Vol. 10, pp.237-252.
- Louw, A., Kimber, M. (2007), "The Power of Packaging", The Customer Equity Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of TNS (UK), available at www.tnsglobal.com/_assets/files/The_power_of_packaging.pdf, referred on 19/02/2010.
- Peattie, K. (2008), Green Marketing. In: M.J. Baker and S.J. Hart (eds.) The Marketing Book, 6th Edition, Amsterdam: Butterworth-Heinemann is an imprint of Elsevier.
- Pride, W.M., Farrell, O.C. (2010). Marketing. Mason (USA): South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Young, S. (2003), "Winning at Retail: Research insights to improve the packaging of children‟s products", Young Consumers, Vol. 5, No 1.