Impact of Intellectual Capital on Financial Performance and Market Valuation of Firms in India
The Objective of this paper is to empirically investigate the impact of intellectual capital(IC) on the financial performance and market valuation of firms in India. Thirty firms from S&P BSE SENSEX index which consists of 30 firms from across various manufacturing and service sectors. The analysis was carried for a period from FY 2008-2009 to 2012-2013. Multiple linear Regression analysis is used to study the impact of IC on financial performance and market value of these select firms. The paper uses the VAICTM methodology to evaluate the data and finds that the financial performance and market value is indeed influenced by the IC of the firms. This result is crucial for firm's management and policy makers to make IC disclosure and reporting mandatory in firms accounting statements as the stakeholder can get the real picture of the true value of the firm. (original abstract)
- Ante, Pulic, (2001), "Value Creation Efficiency Analysis of Croatian Banks 1996- 2000", accessed in March 2013 available on http://www.vaic-on.net/
- Ante, Pulic, (2002), "Do we know if we create or destroy value?" accessed in March 2013, available on http://www.vaic-on.net.
- Bontis, N., (1999), "Managing Organizational Knowledge by Diagnosing Intellectual Capital: Framing and Advancing the State of the Field", Intellectual Journal of Technology Management, Vol. 18, No. 5/6/7/8, pp. 433-462.
- Bozbura, F., (2004), "Measurement and application of intellectual capital in Turkey", The Learning Organization, Vol. 11, No. 4-5, pp.357 - 367.
- Chan, K. H., (2009), "Impact of intellectual capital on organisational performance: An empirical study of companies in the Hang Seng Index (Part 1 & 2)",The Learning Organization, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 4-21 & pp.22 - 39.
- Chang Yuan-Chieh, Huo-Tsiang Chang, (2007), "Firm attributes and intellectual capital disclosure: evidences from IPO prospectuses in Taiwan", accessed in March 2013 available on http://18.104.22.168/1832/9801/9801-13pa.pdf
- Chen, M.C., Cheng, S.J., Hwang, Y., (2005), "An empirical investigation of the relationship between intellectual capital and firms' market value and financial performance", Journal of Intellectual capital, Vol. 6, No.2, pp.159-76.
- Clarke Martin, Seng, D., and Whiting, R. H., (2011), "Intellectual capital and firm performance in Australia", Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp.505-530.
- Edvinsson, L., Malone, M.S., (1997), Intellectual Capital: Realizing Your Company's True Value by Finding Its Hidden Brainpower, Harper Business, New York, NY
- Firer, S., and Williams M.S., (2003) "Intellectual capital and traditional measures of corporate performance", Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp.348-360.
- Gan, K., and Saleh, Z., (2008), "Intellectual capital and corporate performance of technology-intensive companies", Asian Journal of Business and Accounting, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 113-130.
- Jurckzak, (2008), "Intellectual Capital Measurement Methods", Economics and Organization of Enterprise Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 37 - 45.
- Kamath, G. B., (2008), "Intellectual capital and corporate performance in Indian pharmaceutical industry", Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 684 - 704.
- Maditinos, D., Chatzoudes, D., Tsairidis, G., and Theriou, G., (2011), "The impact of intellectual capital on firms' market value and financial performance", Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 132-151.
- Marr, B., Dina G., and Andy N., (2003), "Why do firms measure their intellectual capital?", Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 441-464.
- Morteza Piri,Milad Jasemi,Majid Abdi, (2013) "Intellectual capital and knowledge management in the Iranian space industries",VINE, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp.341 - 356
- Muhammad, N.M.N. and Ismail M.K.A., (2009), "Intellectual capital efficiency and firm's performance: Study on Malaysian financial sectors", International Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 206-212.
- Pal Karam and Sushila Soriya, (2012), "IC performance of Indian pharmaceutical and textile industry", Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 13 No. 1, pp. 120-137
- Pasaribu, H., Dian Indri Purnamasari, and Indri Tri Hapsari, (2012), "The role of corporate intellectual capital", American International Journal of Contemporary Research, Vol. 2, No. 9, accessed in March 2013 available on http://www.aijcrnet.com/journals/Vol_2_No_9_September_2012/19.pdf.
- Puntillo, P. (2009), "Intellectual capital and business performance: Evidence from Italian banking industry", Electronic Journal of Corporate Finance, Vol. 4, No. 12, pp. 96-115.
- Ren, J.-yi and R.J.-yi, (2009), "The empirical study on the relationship between corporate intellectual capital and corporate performance",16th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 537-541.
- Shiu, H., (2006), "The Application of the Value Added Intellectual Coefficient to Measure Corporate Performance: Evidence from Technological Firms", International Journal of Management, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 356-365.
- Stewart, T. (1997) Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth Of Organizations, Nicholas Brealey Publishing, Business Digest, New York
- Sullivan, (2000), Value-driven Intellectual Capital: How to Convert Intangible Corporate Assets into Market Value , John Wiley and Sons, Toronto, Canada
- Tan Hong P., Plowman, D., and Hancock, P., (2007), "Intellectual capital and financial returns of companies", Journal of Intellectual Capital, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 76- 95. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/1469193071071507
- Tseng, C.Y., and Goo, Y.J. (2005), "Intellectual Capital and Corporate Value in an Emerging Economy: Empirical Study of Taiwanese Manufacturers", R & D Management, Vol. 35, No.2, pp.187-201.
- Yi, An, Davey, Howard and Eggleton, Ian R. C., (2011), "The effects of industry type, company size and performance on Chinese companies' IC disclosure: a research note", Australasian Accounting Business and Finance Journal, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 107- 116. Accessed in March 2013 available on http://ro.uow.edu.au/aabfj/vol5/iss3/8/.