Does It Make Sense to Sell Destination to Internal Publics?
This paper talks about a unique concept of educating stakeholders to be more sensitized towards tourists. In academic world this is an internal marketing intervention. The idea is that a tourist's experience at any destination to a large extent depends upon the how the stakeholders including the local community behave with them. While most countries talk about an external marketing campaign, in India, besides the popular external marketing campaign of "Incredible India", there is an internal marketing campaign popularly known as "Atithi devo bhava". Internal marketing calls for educating the stakeholders for an understanding of the destinations' tourism objectives, operational priorities on one hand, and impact of this effort on the values, beliefs, priorities and culture of the stakeholders on the other. The present study tries to investigate the affects of internal promotional campaigns on the perception of general public who are the internal stakeholders at the destination.(original abstract)
- Ahmed, P. K., Rafiq, M., Saad, N. (2003). Internal marketing and the mediating role of organisational competencies. European Journal of Marketing, 37 (9), 1221 - 41.
- Bandura, A. (1992). Exercise of personal agency through the self-efficacy mechanism. In R. Schwarzer, Self-efficacy: Thought control of action (pp. 3 - 38). Washington, D.C.: Hemisphere.
- Berry, L. L., Parasuraman, A. (1991). Marketing services: Competing through quality. New York: Free Press.
- Cahill, D. J. (1996). Internal marketing: Your company's next stage of growth. New York: The Haworth Press Inc.
- Chi, C., Qu, H. (2008). Examining the structural relationships of destination image, tourist satisfaction and destination loyalty: An integrated approach. Tourism Management, 29 (4), 624 - 636.
- Chowdhary, N. (2012). Incredible India: Is it time to rethink? Indian Management, 51 (10), 36 - 43.
- Crick, A. P. (2002). Internal marketing of attitudes in Caribbean tourism. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 15 (3), 161 - 166.
- Ebren, F. (2006). Impact of integrated marketing communications: Program in enhancing manager and employee performance. International Conference on Human and Economic Resources Proceedings. Cortland: Izimir University of Economics.
- Foreman, S., Money, A. (1995). Internal marketing: concepts measurement and application. Journal of Marketing Management, 11, 755 - 768.
- George, W. R. (1990). Internal marketing and organisational behaviour: A partnership in developing conscious employees at every level. Journal of Business Research, 20 (1), 63 - 70.
- Glassman, M., Mcafee, B. (1992). Integrating the personnel and marketing functions: The challenge of the 1990s. Business Horizons, 35 (3), 52 - 59.
- Gowreesunkar, V. G., Cooper, C. P., Durbarry, R. (2009). The role of Internal MArketing (IM) in sustainable destination management: A case study of Grand Bay, Mauritius. The International Journal of Environment, Culture, Economic and Social Sustainability, 5 (5), 141 - 160.
- Gronroos, C. (1981). Internal marketing theory and practice. American Marketing Association's Service Conference Proceedings, (pp. 41 - 47).
- Gummesson, E. (1994). Internal marketing in the light of relationship marketing and network organisations. In Internal Marketing: Directions for Management. New York: Routledge.
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K. (1989). Exploring Corporate Strategy- Text and Cases. London: Prentice Hall.
- Kaurav, R. P., Prakash, M. (2011). Internal marketing- A gizmo to bind employees' power in tourism enterprises. South Asia Journal of Tourism and Hospitality, 4 (2).
- Kemp, E., Williams, K. H., Boredelon, B. M. (2012). The impact of marketing on internal stakeholders in destination branding: The case of a musical city. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 18 (2), 121 - 133.
- Lee-Ross, D. (1999). HRM in tourism and hospitality. In International perspectives in small to medium sized enterprises. UK: Cassel.
- Nahavandi, N., Caruana, A., Farzad, A. (2008). The effect of internal marketing on organisational commitment in Iranian banks. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 5 (11), 1480 - 1486.
- Narver, J. C., Slater, S. F. (1990). The effect of a market orientation on business profitability. Journal of Marketing, 54, 20 - 35.
- Piercy, N. F., Morgan, N. A. (1989). Internal marketing strategy: managing the corporate enviornment for marketing.Proceedings of the Annual Marketing Education Group Conference, (pp. 404 - 24). Glasgow.
- Presenza, A., Sheehan, L., Ritchie, J. R. (2005). Towards a model of the roles and activities of destination management organizations. Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Science, 25 (3), 1 - 16.
- Rafiq, M., Ahmed, P. K. (1998). A customer oriented framework for empowering service employees. Journal of Services Marketing, 12 (5), 379 - 94.
- Schultz, D. E. (2006, January 15). Definition of internal marketing remains elusive. Marketing News.
- Sheehan, L. R., Ritchie, J. R. (2005). Destination stakeholders: Exploring identity and salience. Annals of Tourism Research, 32 (3), 711 - 734.
- Winter, J. P. (1985). Getting your house in order with internal marketing: a marketing prerequisite. Health Marketing Quarterly, 3 (1), 69 - 77.