Does Internal Marketing Influences Organizational Commitment? Empirical Evidences from Hotels in Gwalior
Hotel industry market is developing rapidly, that is why only industry has been transmuted to one of the biggest fields of professional activities in the world. Managers belongs with the industry should provide the option of utilization of potential opportunities for themselves with intelligence and improve their organisational performance. In this instance the market is not only the final consumer but also an individual (employee) or a group of individuals (employees), within the organisation. Customer delight cannot be achieved without fundamental contribution of the employees who deliver the service. Selling of any service, there is needed to shape relationship with customer. For shaping a relationship there is a need for knowing the behaviour of employees and their satisfaction criteria? Without commenting on this aspect, discussion is just depletion of time. This paper is to understand the employees' satisfaction through internal marketing and resultant commitment to their tasks or assignments. The survey has been done in hotels. Reliability test (Chronbach' Alfa), Correlation, Regression, Cross-tabulation and Chi-Square (test of independence) was applied and discussed throughout the paper. This research article found strong correlation between the practices of internal marketing and organisational commitment. Regression analysis has explained well the criteria of relationship. Cross-tabulation has supported that medium practices of internal marketing elucidate more organisational commitment. This paper reported some directions to next researchers also.(original abstract)
- Ahmed, P., Rafiq, M. (1993). The scope of internal marketing: Defining the boundary between marketing and Human Resource Management. Marketing management, 9 - 3, 279 - 32.
- Ahmed, P., Rafiq, M. (2003). Internal marketing issue and challenge, European Journal of Marketing, 37 (9), 1177 - 86.
- Ahmed, P., Rafiq, M., Saad, N. (2004). Internal Marketing and the mediating role of organizational competencies. European Journal of Marketing, 37 (9), 1221-1241.
- Ajay, K., Sabir, I. (2009). Employee wellbeing, control and organizational commitment. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 30 (3), 256 - 273.
- Allen, N., Meyer, J. (1984). Testing the side bet theory organizational commitment methodological consideration. Applied Psychology, 69, 372.
- Allen, N., Meyer, J. (1990). The Effect of Internal Marketing on Organizational Commitment from Market-Orientation Viewpoint in Hotel Industry. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63(4), 1 - 18.
- Allen, N., Meyer, J. (1990). The measurement and antecedents of affective continuance and normative commitment to the organisation. Occupational Psychology, 63, 1 - 18.
- Anselmo, F. (2008). Broadening even more the internal marketing concept. European Journal of Marketing, 42 (11/12), 1246 - 1264.
- Anselmo, F. (2008). Broadening even more the internal marketing concept. European Journal of Marketing, 42, 1246 - 1264.
- Avkiran, N. K. (1995). A multivariate model of integrated branch performance and potential focusing on personal banking. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis. Melbourne, Victoria: Victoria University of Technology.
- Berry, L., Conant, J., Parasuraman, A. (1991). A frame work for conducting a services marketing audit. Academy of Marketing Science, 19, 255 - 268.
- Farzad, A. (2006). The effect of internal marketing on organizational commitment: An investigation among state owned bank in Isfahan. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis. Iran.
- Fisk, R., Brown, S., Bitner, M. (1993). Tracking the evolution of the services marketing literature. Retailing, 69, 61 - 103.
- Foreman, S., Money, A. (1995). The effect of internal marketing on organizational commitment from market-orientation: Viewpoint in hotel industry. Journal of Marketing Management, 11 (7), 755.
- Foreman, S.K., Money, A.H. (1995). Internal marketing: Concept, measurement and application. Journal of Marketing Management, 11 (7), 755.
- George, G. (2009). Internal marketing impact on business performance in a retail context. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 37 (7), 600 - 628.
- Gronroos, C. (1990). Service, Management and Marketing, Lexington, Massachusetts: Toronto D.C. Health and Company.
- Gruen, W., Frank Acto., S. (2000). The effect of internal marketing on organizational commitment from market orientation view market-orientation viewpoint in hotel industry. Journal of Marketing, 64 (6), 34 - 49.
- Hartline, M., Ferrell, O. (1996). The management of customer-contact service employees: An empirical investigation. Marketing, 60, 52 - 70.
- Hrebiniak, L. G., Alutto, J. A. (1972). Personal and role-related factors in the development of organizational commitment. Administrative science quarterly, 555 - 573.
- Kaurav, R. P. S. (2014). Preferences for internal marketing and organisational commitment: Empirical evidences from hotels. Pranjana: Journal of Management Awareness, 17(1), 25 - 36.
- Kaurav, R. P. S. (2014, February). Assessing Impact of Internal Marketing on Business Performance. Unpublished PhD thesis. Gwalior, India: Jiwaji University.
- Lings, I. N. (2000). Internal marketing and supply chain management. Journal of Services Marketing, 14(1), 27 - 43.
- Lings, I. N. (2004). Internal market orientation: construct and consequences. Journal of Business Research, 57(4), 405 - 413.
- Meyer, J. P. and Allen, N. J. (1984). Testing the 'side bet theory' of organizational commitment: Some methodological considerations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 69, 372 - 8.
- Michon, C. (1988). Le marketing interne, unsystème de marketing à part entière. Revue française du marketing, (120), 11 - 20.
- Porter, L. W., Steers, R. M., Mowday, R. T., Boulian, P. V. (1974). Organizational commitment, job satisfaction, and turnover among psychiatric technicians. Journal of applied psychology, 59(5), 603 - 609.
- Ritzer, G., Trice, H. (1969). An Empirical study of howard Beckar'side Bet Theory. Social Force, 47, 475 - 9.
- Snell, L. (2009). An exploratory study of the application of internal marketing in professional service organizations. Services Marketing Quarterly, 30, 195 - 211.
- Thompson, T. W., Berry, L. L., Davidson, P. H. (1978). Banking tomorrow: Managing markets through planning. Van Nostrand Reinhold Company.
- Varey, R., Lewis, B. (1999). A broadened conception of internal marketing. European Journal of Marketing, 33, 926 - 44.
- Zikmund, W. G. (1994). Business Research Methods (4th Ed.). New York: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.