Imperfect competition, productivity differences and proximity-concentration trade-offs
In this paper we study how productivity differences between foreign and home country firms affect the proximity-concentration trade-off in two imperfectly competitive frameworks: the Cournot duopoly and the monopoly that occurs when one of the competing firms is driven out of the market. We identify the conditions necessary for exporting and foreign direct investment (FDI), depending on the competing firms' marginal cost differences as well as the trade cost and the fixed sunk cost of FDI. We demonstrate that five possible equilibria: an incumbent monopoly equilibrium, a FDI duopoly equilibrium, a FDI monopoly equilibrium, an exporting duopoly equilibrium and an exporting monopoly equilibrium, may emerge depending on various combinations of the key parameters of the model. (original abstract)
- Aw B., Chung S., Roberts M. (1998), Productivity and the decision to export: microevidence from Taiwan and South Korea. NBER Working Paper No. 6658. Available at: http://www.nber.org/papers/w6558.pdf.
- Barba Navaretti G., Venables A. (2004), Multinational Firms in the World Economy. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Bernard A., Jensen J.B. (1999), "Exceptional export performance: cause effect or both?", Journal of International Economics vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 1-25.
- Bernard A., Eaton J., Jensen J.B., Kortum S. (2003), "Plants and productivity in international trade", American Economic Review vol. 93, No. 4, pp. 1268-1290.
- Bernard A., Jensen J.B., Redding S.J., Schott P.K. (2007), "Firms in international trade", Journal of Economic Perspectives vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 105-130.
- Brander J.A. (1981). "Intra-industry trade in identical commodities", Journal of International Economics vol.11, No. 1, pp 1-14.
- Brander J.A., Krugman P. (1983), "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade", Journal of International Economics vol.15, pp.313-321.
- Caves R. (2007), Multinational Enterprise and Economic Analysis, 3rd ed., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Clerides S.K., Lach S., Tybout J.R. (1998), "Is learning by exporting important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco", Quarterly Journal of Economics vol. 113, No. 3, pp. 903-948.
- Cieślik A. (2015), Export versus FDI in Cournot duopoly framework, Institute of Economic Research Working Paper 11/2015.
- Cieślik A., Ryan M. (2009), "Firm heterogeneity, foreign market entry mode and ownership choice", Japan and the World Economy vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 213-218.
- Cieślik A., Ryan M. (2012), "Productivity differences and foreign market entry in an oligopolistic Industry", Open Economies Review vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 531-557.
- Copithorne L. (1971), "International corporate transfer prices and government policy", Canadian Journal of Economics vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 324-341.
- De Backer K., Sleuwagen L. (2003), "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?", Review of Industrial Organization vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 67-84.
- Doms M.E., Jensen J.B. (1998), Comparing wages skills and productivity between domestically and foreign owned manufacturing establishments in the United States. In: Baldwin R., Lipsey R., Richardson J.D. (eds.), Geography and Ownership as Basis for Economic Accounting, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Eaton J., Kortum S. (2002), "Technology, geography and trade", Econometrica, vol. 70, No. 5, pp. 1741-1779.
- Grossman G., Helpman E. (2004), "Managerial incentives and the international organization of production", Journal of International Economics vol. 63, No. 2, pp. 237-262.
- Helpman E., Melitz M., Yeaple S. (2004), "Export versus FDI with heterogeneous firms", American Economic Review vol. 94, No. 1, pp. 300-316.
- Helpman E. (2006), "Trade, FDI and the organization of firms", Journal of Economic Literature vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 589-630.
- Hirsch S. (1976), "An international trade and investment theory of the firm", Oxford Economic Papers vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 258-269.
- Horst T. (1971), "The theory of the multinational firm: optimal behavior under different tariff and tax rules", Journal of Political Economy vol. 79, No. 5, pp. 1059-1072.
- Krugman P. (1980), "Scale Economies, product differentiation and the pattern of trade", American Economic Review vol. 70, No. 5, pp. 950-959.
- Markusen J. (2002), Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Melitz M. (2003), "The impact of trade on intra-industry reallocations and aggregate industry productivity", Econometrica, vol. 71, No. 6, pp. 1695-1725.
- Neary P.J. (2008), Trade Costs and Foreign Direct Investment. In: Brakman S., Garretsen H. (eds.), Foreign Direct Investment and the Multinational Enterprise, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Pffaffermayer M., Bellak C. (2002), Why Foreign-Owned are Different: A Conceptual Framework and Empirical Evidence for Austria. In: Jungnickel R. (ed.), Foreign-Owned Firms: Are They Different?, Houndsmill: Palgrave-MacMillan.