Emotional Intelligence - Sales Performance Relationship: A Mediating Role of Adaptive Selling Behaviour
In this study, we examined the impact of emotional intelligence on sales performance. We posited that the impact of emotional intelligence (EI) on sales performance was mediated by adaptive selling behaviour (ASB). Data were collected from 281 sales people in the financial industries in Malaysia via the WLEIS emotional intelligence scale and ADAPTS adaptive selling behaviour scale, and were quantitatively analysed using structural equation modelling (SEM). Results were in keeping with the model. Three domains of EI were not found to impact sales performance directly but through ASB. Theoretical implications and managerial ramifications were also discussed. (original abstract)
- Anglin, K.A., Stolman, J.J., Gentry, J.W. (1990), The Congruence of Manager Perception of Salesperson Performance and Knowledge-Based Measures of Adaptive Selling, "The Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management", 10 (4), pp. 81-91.
- Ashkansy, N.M., Daus, C.S. (2002), Emotion in the workplace: The new challenge for managers, Academy of Management Executive, 16, pp. 76-86.
- Austin, E.J. (2004), An investigation of the relationship between emotional intelligence and emotional task performance, Personality and Individual Differences, 36, pp. 1855-1864.
- Bardzil, P., Slaski, M. (200), Emotional intelligence: Fundamental competencies for enhanced service provision, Managing Service Quality, 13(2), p. 97.
- Boorom, M.L., Goolsby, J., Ramsey, R.P. (1998), Relational communication traits and their effect on adaptiveness and sales performance, Academy of Marketing Science Journal, 26(1), pp. 16-30.
- Borg, S.W., Johnston, W.J. (2013), The IPS-EQ Model: Interpersonal Skills and Emotional Intelligence in a Sales Process, Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 33(1), pp. 39-51.
- Brown, S.P., Cron, W., Slocum Jr, J.W. (1997), Effects of goal directed emotions on salesperson volitions, behaviour and performance: A longitudinal study, Journal of Marketing, 61(1), pp. 39-50.
- Brown, W.F., Moshavi, D. (2005), Transformational Leadership and Emotional Intelligence: A Potential Pathway for an Increased Understanding of Interpersonal Influence, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 27(7), pp. 867-871.
- Byrne, B. (2013), Structural equation modeling with AMOS: Basic concepts, applications, and programming, Routledge.
- Carmeli, A., Josman, Z.E. (2006), The relationship among emotional intelligence, task performance, and organizational citizen behaviors, Human Performance, 19(4), pp. 403-419.
- Chrusciel, D. (2006), Considerations of emotional intelligence [EI] in dealing with change decision management, Management Decision, 44(5), pp. 644-657.
- Churchill, G.A., Ford, N.M., Hartley, S.W., Walker, O.C. (1985), The determinants of salesperson performance: A meta-analysis, Journal of Marketing Research, 22(2).
- Cote, S., Miners, C.T.H. (2006), Emotional intelligence, cognitive intelligence and job performance, Administrative Science Quarterly, 51, pp. 1-28.
- Davies, M., Stankov, L., Roberts, R. (1998), Emotional intelligence: In search of an elusive construct, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75(4), pp. 989-1015.
- Del Vecchio, S., Zemanek, J., McIntyre, R., Claxton, R. (2004), Updating the adaptive selling behaviour: Tactics to keep and tactics to discard, Journal of Marketing Management, 20(4), pp. 859-875.
- Dulewicz, C., Young, M., Dulewicz, V. (2005), The relevance of emotional intelligence for leadership performance, Journal of General Management, 30(3), pp. 71-86.
- Dwyer, J.H., Schurr, P.H., Oh, S. (1987), Developing buyer-seller relationships, Journal of Marketing, 51(April), pp. 11-27.
- Feyerherm, A.E., Rice, CL. (2002), Emotional intelligence and team performance: The good, the bad and the ugly, International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 10(4), pp. 343-363.
- Goldenberg, I., Matheson, K., Mantler, J. (2006), The assessment of emotional intelligence: A comparison of performance-based and self-report methodologies, Journal of Personality Assessment, 86(1), p. 33.
- Giacobbe, R.W., Jackson Jr., D.W.J., Crosby, L.A., Bridges, C.M. (2006), A contingency approach to adaptive selling behaviour and sales performance: Selling situations and salesperson characteristics, The Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 26(2), pp.115-142.
- Gibbs, N. (1995, October, 2), The EQ factor, Time, pp. 60-68.
- Goleman, D. (1998), Working with emotional intelligence, New York, Bantam.
- Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R., McKee, A. (2002), The new leaders, New York, Little Brown.
- Gummesson, E. (2008), Customer centricity: reality or a wild goose chase? European Business Review, 20(4), pp. 315-33.
- Humprey, R.H., Pollack, J.M., Hawver, T.H. (2008), Leading with emotional labor, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 23, pp. 151-168.
- Jennings, S., Palmer, B.R. (2007), Enhancing sales performance through emotional intelligence development, Organization & People, 14(2), pp. 55-61.
- Johlke, M.C. (2006), Sales presentation skills and salesperson job performance, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 21(5), pp. 311-319.
- Joseph, D.L., Newman, D.A. (2010), Emotional intelligence: An integrative meta-analysis and cascading model, "Journal of Applied Psychology", 95, pp. 54-78.
- Kidwell, B.R., McFarland, R., Avila, A. (2007), Perceiving Emotion in the Buyer-Seller Interchange: The Moderated Impact on Performance, "Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management", 27, 2 (Spring), pp. 119-132.
- Kline, R.B. (2010), Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling, Third Edition (Methodology in the Social Sciences), New York, Guilford.
- Law, K.S., Wong, C.S., Song, L.J. (2004), The construct and criterion validity of emotional intelligence and its potential utility for management studies, Journal of Applied Psychology, 89, pp. 483-496.
- Law, K.S., Wong, C.S., Huang, G.H., Li, X. (2008), The effects of emotional intelligence on job performance and life satisfaction for the research and development scientist in China, Asia Pacific Journal Management, 25, pp. 51-69.
- Leech, N.L., Barret, K.C., Morgan, G.A. (2014), SPSS for introductory and intermediate statistics: Use and interpretation, New York, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Longhorn, S. (2004), How emotional intelligence can improve management performance, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 16(4), pp. 220-230.
- Matthews, G., Roberts, R.D., Zeidner, M. (2004), Seven myths about emotional intelligence, Psychological Inquiry, 15(3), pp. 179-196.
- Mayer, J.D., Caruso, D. (2002), The effective leader: Understanding and applying emotional intelligence, Ivy Business Journal Online, pp. 1-5.
- Mayer, J.D., Salovey, P. (1997), What is emotional intelligence? in P. Salovey, D. Sluyte (eds.), Emotional Development and Emotional Intelligence: Educational Implications (pp. 3-31), New York, Basic Books.
- Mayer, J.D., Salovey, P., Caruso, D.R. (2004), Emotional intelligence: Theory, findings, and implications, Psychology Inquiry, 15(3), pp. 197-215.
- Newsome, S., Day, A.L., Catano, V.M. (2000), Assessing the predictive validity of emotional intelligence, Personality and Individual Differences, 29(2), pp. 1005-1016.
- O'Boyle Jr,E., Humprey, R., Pollack, J.F., Hawver, T.H., Story, P.A. (2011), The relation between emotional intelligence and job performance: A meta-analysis, Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 32, pp. 788-818.
- Paparoidamis, N. G., Guenzi, P. (2009), An empirical investigation into the impact of relationship selling and LMX on salespeople's behaviour and sales effectiveness, European Journal of Marketing, 43(7/8), pp. 1053-1075.
- Park, J.E., Holloway, B.B. (2003), Adaptive selling behaviour revisited: An empirical examination of learning situation, sales performance, and job satisfaction, The Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, 23(3), pp. 239-253.
- Pelham, A.M. (2009), An exploratory study of the influence of firm market orientation on salesperson adaptive selling, customer orientation, interpersonal listening in personal selling and salesperson consulting behaviors, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 17(1), pp. 21-29.
- Pellitteri, J. (2002), The relationship between emotional intelligence and ego defence mechanisms, The Journal of Psychology, 136(2), pp. 182-194.
- Pransky, G., Finklestein, S., Berndt, E., Kyle, M., Mackell, J., Tortorice, D. (2006), Objective and self-report work performance measures: A comparative analysis, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 55(5), p. 390.
- Rahim, M.A., Psenicka, C., Zhao, J.H., Yu, C.S., Chan, K.A., Kwok Wai, Y.S. et al. (2002), A model of emotional intelligence and conflict management strategies: A study in seven countries, International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 10(4), p. 201.
- Roche, M. (2004), Towards EI at a medium sized plastic manufacturing company, New Zealand Journal of Applied Business Research, 3 (November), 41-50.
- Semadar, A., Robins, G., Ferris, G.R. (2006), Comparing the validity of multiple social effectiveness constructs in the prediction of managerial performance, Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 27, 443-461.
- Sjoberb, L., Littorin, P. (2003), Emotional intelligence, personality and sales performance, Working Paper Series of Business Administration, Stockholm School of Economies, (May).
- Slaski, M., Cartwright, S. (2003), Emotional intelligence training and its implications for stress, health and performance, Stress and Health, 1(4), pp. 233-239.
- Spiro, R.L., Weitz, B.A. (1990), Adaptive selling: Conceptualisation, measurement and nomological validity, Journal of Marketing Research, 27(1), pp. 61-69.
- Sujan, H., Weitz, B., Kumar, N. (1994), Learning orientation, working smart, and effective selling. Journal of Marketing, 58(3), pp. 39-52.
- Tae, W.M., Won-Moo, H. (2011), Emotional intelligence, emotional exhaustion and job performance, Social Behavior and Personality, 39(8), pp. 1087-1096.
- Van Rooy, D., Viswesvaran, C. (2004), Emotional intelligence: A meta-analytic investigation of predictive validity and nomological net, Journal of Vocational Behaviour, 65, pp. 71-95.
- Viswesravan, C., Schmidt, F.L., Ones, D.S. (1996), Comparative analysis of the reliability of job performance ratings, Journal of Applied Psychology, 81(5), p. 557.
- Weitz, B.A., Bradford, K.D. (1999), Personal selling and sales management: A relationship marketing perspectives, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, 27(Spring), pp. 241-254.
- Weitz, B.A., Sujan, H., Sujan, M. (1986), Knowledge, motivation, and adaptive behaviour: A framework for improving selling effectiveness, Journal of Marketing, 50, pp. 174-191.
- Wong, C.S., Law, KS. (2002), The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence of performance and attitude: An exploratory study, The Leadership Quarterly, 13, pp. 243-274.