Impact of Insurance Market on Economic Growth in Post-Transition Countries
The purpose of this work is to identify whether the development of an insurance market is linked to economic growth in former transition countries. A multiple regression analysis is employed to estimate the insurance-growth relationship, using a cross-country panel dataset analysis tracking annual total insurance penetration in 10 countries over the 2000-2012 period, and applying a fixed effect model to test the hypothesis that this linkage is demonstrably positive. The results show a negative and statistically non-significant correlation between insurance and GDP growth, suggesting a lack of evidence that insurance promotes economic growth in post-transition economies. (original abstract)
- Adams, M., Andersson, J., Andersson, L. F., Lindmark, M. (2009), Insurance and economic growth in Sweden between 1830 and 1998, Accounting, Business & Financial History 19 (1), pp. 21-38.
- Ahlin, C., Pang, J. (2008), Are financial development and corruption control substitutes in promoting growth?, Journal of Development Economics, 86 (2), pp. 414-433.
- Arena, M. (2008), Does insurance market promote Economic Growth?, A cross-country Study for Industrialized and developing countries, Journal of Risk Insurance, 75 (4), pp. 921-946.
- Arestis, P., Demetriades, P. (1997), Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence, Economic Journal, 107 (442), pp. 783-799.
- Baudino, P., Caviglia, C., Dorucci, E., Pineau, G. (2004), Financial FDI to the EU Accession Countries, ECB Paper submitted to Working Group Members, BISCGFS (Bank for International Settlements Committee on the Global Financial System), http://www.bis.org/publ/cgfs22ecb.pdf
- Beale, L., Ferrando, A., Hordahl, P., Krylova, E., Monnet, C. (2004), Measuring Financial Integration in the Euro Area, ECB Occasional Paper, No. 14, April, http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/scopes/ecbocp14.pdf
- Beck, T., Demirguc-Kunt, A., Levine, R. (2003), Law and Finance: Why does Legal Origin Matter?, Journal of MonetaryEconomics, 46, pp. 31-77.
- Beck, T., Levine, R. (2004), Stock markets, banks, and growth Panel evidence, Journal of Banking & Finance, 28 (3), pp. 423-442.
- Boon, T. K. (2005), Do commercial banks, stock market and insurance market promote economic growth?, Ananalysis of the Singapore Economy, Working Paper, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Beenstock, M., Dickinson, G., Khajuria, S. (1986), The Determination of Life Premiums: An International Cross-Section analysis 1970-1981, Insurance, Mathematics and Economics, 5 (4), pp. 261-270.
- Browne, M. J., Kim, K. (1993), An International Analysis of Life Insurance Demand, The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 60 (4), pp. 616-634.
- Blum, D., Federmair, K., Fink, G., Haiss, P. (2002), The Financial-Real Sector Nexus: Theory and Empirical Evidence, IEF Working Paper, No. 43, Research Institute for European Affairs, University of Economics and Business Administration Vienna, http://fgr.wuwien.ac.at/institut/ef/nexus.html
- Catalan, M., Impavido, G., Musalemu, A. (2000), Contractual savings or stock markets development: Which leads?, World Bank Policy Research Paper, pp. 24-21.
- CEA - Annual Report, (2010), http://www.cea.eu/index.php/facts-figures/statistical-publications/european-insurance-in-figures
- CEA - European insurance in figures (2012), http://www.cea.eu/index.php/facts-figures/statistical-publications/european-insurance-in-figures
- Davis, E. P., Hu, Y. (2004), Is there a link between pension-fund assets and economic growth?, - A cross-country study, Discussion Paper, Pensions Institute, PI-0502, United Kingdom.
- Demetriades, P. O., Hussein, K. A. (1996), Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth?, Time Series Evidence from 16 Countries, Journal of Development Economics, 51 (2), pp. 387-411.
- Dickey, D. A., Fuller, W. A. (1979), Distribution of The Estimation for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root, Journal of the American Association, 74, pp. 427-431.
- Dorfman, M. S. (2008), Introduction to Risk Management and Insurance, Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- European Banking Federation (EBF), statistics- http://www.ebffbe.eu/publications/statistics/
- Favara, G. (2003), An Empirical Reassessment of the Relationship between Finance and Growth, IMF Working Paper, 03/123.
- Fink, G., Haiss, P., Vuksic, G. (2004), Changing Importance of Financial Sectors for Growth from Transition to Cohesion and European Integration, IEF Working Paper, No. 58, Research Institute for European Affairs, University for Economics and Business Administration Vienna, http://fgr.wu-wien.ac.at/institut/ef/nexus.html
- Fink, G., Haiss, P., Mantler, H. (2005), The Finance-Growth Nexus: Market Economies vs. Transition Countries, IEF Working Paper, No. 64, Research Institute for European Affairs, University for Economics and Business Administration Vienna, http://fgr.wu-wien.ac.at/institut/ef/nexus.html
- Fukuyama, F. (1995), Trust: Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity, Free Press, New York.
- Haiss, P., Sumegi, K. (2006), The relationship of insurance and economic growth - A theoretical and empirical analysis, Paper presented at the EcoMod Conference, Hong Kong, pp. 28-30.
- Haiss, P., Sumegi, K. (2008), The relationship between insurance and economic growth in Europe: a theoretical and empirical analysis, Empirica, 35 (4), pp. 405-431.
- Havranek, T., Irsova, Z. (2010), Which Foreigners Are Worth Wooing?, A Meta Analysis of Vertical Spillovers from FDI, Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Hofstede, G. (1995), Insurance as a Product of National Values, The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, 20 (4), pp. 423-429.
- Holsboer, J. H. (1999), Repositioning of the Insurance Industry in the Financial Sector and its Economic Role, The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, 24 (3), pp. 243-290.
- King, R., Levine, R. (1993), Finance and Growth. Schumpeter Might Be Right, Policy Research Working Papers, 1083.
- Kjosevski, J. (2011), Impact of Insurance on Economic Growth: the Case of Republic of Macedonia, European Journal of Business and Economics, Vol. 4, pp. 34-39.
- Kugler, M., Ofoghi, R. (2005), Does Insurance Promote Economic Growth?, Evidence from the UK, Money Macro and Finance Research Group Conference,13 September, University of Crete, Rethymno, Greece.
- Levine, R., Zervos, S. (1996), Stock Markets, Banks and Economic Growth, Policy Research Working Paper, 1690.
- Levine, R. (1997), Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda, Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. XXXV (6), pp. 688-726.
- Levine, R. (1998), The Legal Environment, Banks, and Long-Run Economic Growth, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 30, No. 32, pp. 596-613.
- Levine, R., Zervos, S. (1998), Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth, American Economic Review, 88 (3), pp. 537-558.
- Levine, R. (1999), Law, Finance, and Economic Growth, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 8 (1-2), pp. 8-35.
- Levine, R., Loayza, N., Beck, T. (2000), Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes, Journal of Monetary Economics, 46 (1), pp. 31-77.
- Marin, D. (1992), Is the Export-Led Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?, The Review of Economics and Statistics, 74 (4), pp. 678-688.
- Misun, J., Tomsik, V. (2002), Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd in our Crowd out Domestic Investment?, Eastern European Economics, 40 (2), pp. 38-56.
- Outreville, J. F. (1990), The economic significance of insurance markets in developing countries, The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 57 (3), pp. 487-498.
- Outreville, J. F. (1996), Life Insurance Markets in Developing Countries, The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 63 (2), pp. 263-278.
- Pagano, M. (1993), Financial markets and growth: An overview, European Economic Review, 37 (23), pp. 613-622.
- Park, H. M. (2009), Linear Regression Models for Panel Data Using SAS, Stata, LIMDEP, and SPSS, Working Paper.
- The University Information Technology Services (UITS) Center for Statistical and Mathematical Computing, Indiana University, http://www.indiana.edu/~statmath/stat/all/panel
- Pye, R. B. K. (2003), The Evolution of the Insurance Sector in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) and the Newly Independent States (NIS) of the former Soviet Union, Research Paper presented for IX Dubrovnik Economic Conference on "Banking and the Financial Sector in Transition and Emerging Market Economies", http://www. hnb.hr/dub-konf/9-konferencija-radovi/robert-pye.pdf
- Rousseau, P. L., Wachtel, P. (2005), Economic Growth and Financial Depth: Is the Relationship Extinct Already?, NYU Working Paper, pp. 5-15.
- Skipper, H. D. (1997), Foreign Insurers in Emerging Markets: Issues and Concerns, Occasional Paper, 97 (2), Center for Risk Management and Insurance.
- Skipper, H. D. (2001), Insurance in the general agreement on trade in services, American Enterprise Institute, http://www.aei.org/docLib/20040218_book140.pdf
- Skipper, H. D., Kwon, W. J. (2007), Risk Management and Insurance: Perspectives in a Global Economy, Blackwell Publishing, Ltd., Oxford.
- The World Bank-World Development Indicators dataset- http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.GDI.TOTL.ZS
- USAID (2006), Assessment on How Strengthening the Insurance Industry in Developing Countries Contributes to Economic Growth, United States Agency for International Development.
- Vohra, R. (2011), Export and economic growth: Further time series evidence from less-developed countries, International Advances in Economic Research, 7 (3), pp. 345-350.
- Ward, D., Zurbruegg, R. (2000), Does Insurance Promote Economic Growth?, Evidence from OECD Countries, The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 67 (4), pp. 489-506.
- Webb, I., Grace, M. F., Skipper, H. (2002), The effect of banking and insurance on the growth of capital and output, Georgia State University Working Paper.
- Zhuo, Z. (1998), Die Nachfrage nach Lebensversicherungen: Eine empirische Analyse fur China, Mannheimer Manuskripte zu Risikotheorie, Portfolio Management und Versicherungswirtschaft, Universitat Mannheim, No. 112.