Animal Welfare: the EU Policy and Consumers' Perspectives
The awareness of animal welfare and animal well-being is growing all over Europe and the world. The concerns are related to the applied policy regimes, economic sustainability of the production methods, food quality and safety, consumers' health and behaviour and their willingness to pay for animal products obtained in animal-friendly conditions. The paper aims to analyse the consumers' awareness and its effect on consumers' purchasing behaviour in Bulgaria. The data were collected under the WELANIMAL project, based on a questionnaire. Later a statistical analysis was done. At the end it is concluded that consumers still need to be educated and there are opportunities to enhance their awareness of animal welfare standards through marketing actions. (original abstract)
- Croney C.C., Millman S.T. : Board-Invited Review: The ethical and behavioral bases for farm animal welfare legislation. Journal of Animal Sciences no. 85. pp. 556-565. [Available at:] http://jas.fass.org/content/85/2/556.full. [Accessed: June 2011].
- Cziszter L.T., Plamen M., Peneva M. : Consumers and farm animal welfare. [In:] Basics of Animal Welfare & Product Quality. E. Szucs et al. [eds.]. Godollo.
- Final Report: Evaluation of the EU Policy on Animal Welfare & Possible Options for the Future. . [Available at:] http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/welfare/actionplan/3%20Final%20Report%20-%20EUPAW%20Evaluation.pdf. [Accessed: June 2011].
- Martelli G. : Consumers' perception of farm animal welfare: Italian and European perspective. Italian Journal of Animal Sciences no. 8., suppl. 1. pp. 31-41.
- Mitchell L. : Impact of consumer demand for animal welfare on global trade. [In:] Changing Structure of Global Food Consumption and Trade. WRS-01-1. Economic Research Service, USDA.
- Protocol on the Protection and Welfare of Animals. . [In:] Treaty of Amsterdam. [Available at:] http://eurlex.europa.eu/en/treaties/dat/11997D/htm/11997D.html. [Accessed: June2011].
- Sossidou E.N., Szűcs E. : Personal initiatives to improve animal welfare and food safety. [In:] Basics of Animal Welfare & Product Quality. E. Szucs et al. [eds.]. Godollo.
- Szűcs E., Cziszter L.T. : Sustainability and farm animal welfare. [In:] Basics of Animal Welfare & Product Quality. E. Szucs et al. [eds.]. Godollo.
- Vanhonacker F., Verbeke W., van Poucke E., Tuyttens F.A.M. : Do citizens and farmers interpret the concept of farm animal welfare differently? Livestock Science no. 116, pp. 126-136