Crowdsourcing in Marketing Communication for Hospitality Industry
The use of social media enables crowds of people living in geographically distant places to gather around an issue, to create communities of cohesive interests or to engage in finding solutions for the same problem. Those hospitality industry companies which not only notice the crowds of people in the social media but also appreciate their power, can use crowdsourcing as one of the instruments applied in the process of establishing and maintaining relationships with their stakeholders. The process of engaging those groups in various aspects of company's operations is contemporarily described not merely in terms of cooperation between the company and its stakeholders but rather as co-creation of product value that is expected by the consumers. The aim of this research is to analyze crowdsourcing as an innovative instrument applied in marketing communication campaigns for hospitality industry. Case analyses of some marketing communication campaigns elements crowdsourced by hospitality industry entities show three levels at which crowdsourcing can be applied. The first level refers to the marketing communication activities aiming at identifying the image attributes of a place/company, or crystallizing and strengthening the image attributes already identified. The second level refers to the situation in which hospitality industry may initiate the process of crowdsourcing in order to acquire content and inspiration for further marketing communication activities. The third level refers to the situation in which hospitality industry may initiate the process of crowdsourcing in order to acquire readyto- use promotional materials.(author's abstract)
- Bless, C. & Higson-Smith, C. (2000). Fundamentals of social research methods: an African perspective (3rd ed.). Lusaka: Juta Education.
- Brabham, D. (2008). Crowdsourcing as a Model for Problem Solving. An Introduction and Cases. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 14 (1): 75-90.
- Brzoskowski, B. (2010). Crowdsourcing - pytania mogą się opłacać. Marketing w Praktyce 8. Available at: http://marketing.org.pl/index. php/go=2/act=2/w=1/aid=m4c5e86e47b93c (accessed on 18.03.2013
- Campaign Brief. (2012). Qantas launches new 'You're The Reason We Fly' campaign via Publicis Mojo Sydney. Available at: www. campaignbrief.com/2012/06/qantas-launches-first-phase-of.html (accessed on 18 March 2013).
- Chesbrough, H. (2006). Open Innovation: A New Paradigm for Understanding Industrial Innovation. In: Open Innovation: Researching a New Paradigm. Eds. H. Chesbrough, W. Vanhaverbeke, J. West. Oxford: Oxford University Press (pp. 1-12).
- Failte Ireland. (2011). Gift of the Gab Wanted for New Home Holiday Campaign. Available at www.failteireland.ie/News-Features/News- Library/Gift-of-the-Gab-Wanted-for-New-Home-Holiday-Campai.aspx (accessed on 21.03.2013).
- Franke, N. Hippel, E. von & Schreier, M. (2006). Finding Commercially Attractive User Innovations: A Test of Lead-User Theory. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 23 (4): 301-315.
- Hippel, E.A. von (1976). The Dominant Role of Users in the Scientific Instrument Innovation Process. Research Policy, 5 (3): 212-239.
- Hippel, E.A. von (1977). Transferring Process Equipment Innovations from User-innovators to Equipment Manufacturing Firms. R&D Management, 8 (1): 13-22
- Hippel, E.A. von (1986). Lead Users: A Source of Novel Product Concepts. Management Science, 32 (7): 791-805.
- Hippel, E. von, Susumu, O. & Jong, J.P.J. de (2011). The Age of the Consumer-innovator. MIT Sloan Management Review, 53 (1): 27-35.
- Howe, J. (2006). Crowdsourcing: A Definition. Crowdsourcing: Why the power of crowd is driving the business. Available at: http:// crowdsourcing.typepad.com/cs/2006/06/crowdsourcing_a.html (accessed on 18.03.2013).
- InnoCentive. (n.d.). What We Do. Available at: www.innocentive.com/about-innocentive (accessed on 21.06.2014).
- iStockphoto. (n.d.). About us. Available at: www.istockphoto.com/help/about-us (accessed on 21.06.2014).
- Massolution Crowd Power Business. (2013). The Crowd In the Cloud: Exploring the future of Outsourcing. White paper. Available at: www.lionbridge.com/files/2012/11/Lionbridge-White-Paper_The-Crowd-in-the-Cloud-final.pdf (accessed on 24.03.2013).
- Miles, M.B. & Huberman, A.M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Modiano, D. (2012). Crowdsourcing for Destination Marketing- Make it Personal! Abouttourism Destination Consultants. Available at: http://aboutourism.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/crowdsourcing-for-destination-marketing-make-it-personal (accessed on 26.06.2014).
- Mourato, D. (2012). The Philippines Crowdsource Tourism Campaign. Daily Crowdsource. Available at: http://dailycrowdsource.com/ crowdsourcing/projects/917-the-philippines-crowdsource-tourism-campaign (accessed on 26.05.2014).
- Neis, P. & Zipf, A. (2012). Analyzing the Contributor Activity of a Volunteered Geographic Information Project - The Case of OpenStreetMap. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 1 (2): 146-165. Availble at: www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/1/2/146 (accessed on 26.05.2014).
- Neuman, W.L. (2006). Social research methods: qualitative and quantitative approaches (6th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- PRWeb. (2011). Tourism Authority of Thailand Launches New International Campaign "The Most Amazing Show On Earth". Available at: www.prweb.com/releases/2011/4/prweb8343598.htm (accessed on 21.03.2013).
- Qantas. (2012). Quantas launches new TV commercial - You're the reason we fly. Available at: www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/mediareleases/ 318 (accessed on 21.06.2014).^6 Schenk, E. & Guitttard, C. (2011). Towards a characterization of crowdsourcing practices. Journal of Innovation Economics, 1 (7): 93-107.
- Stake, R.E. (1995). The Art of Case Study Research: Perspective in Practice. London: Sage.
- Stanoevska-Slabeva, K. (2011). Enabled Innovation: Instruments and Methods of Internet-based Collaborative Innovation. 1st Berlin Symposium on Internet and Society. Available at: http://berlinsymposium.org/sites/berlinsymposium.org/files/ crowdsourcingenabledinnovation.pdf (accessed on 18.03.2013).
- Tang, E. (2011). Tourism Authority of Thailand presents The Most Amazing Show on Earth - "Hearing the Sunshine". Tourismthailand blog. Available at: www.eugenegoesthailand.com/?p=14933 (accessed on 18.03.2013).
- Van Brimmer, A. (2012). Finalists chosen for Visit Savannah tourism video contest. Savannahnow.com. Available at: http://savannahnow. com/exchange/2012-03-06/finalists-chosen-visit-savannah-tourism-video-contest