Optimum Class Size. Testing Lazear's Theorem With Intermediate Mathematics Scores in Polish Secondary Schools
The paper is directed at testing Lazear's proposition which argues that educational outcome depends on the non-uniformity of distribution of knowledge and skills of students and on class size. Lazear asserts that students' performance achieves its maximum when students are segregated by skills and behaviour. Using the 2010 data (mathematics scores in gimnazjum and maturity exams), we corroborate this theorem. We also demonstrate that improved teaching conditions in Polish primary schools and gimnazjums, i.e. lower class sizes, better salaries of teachers and higher unit costs did not result in an increased educational outcome as measured by the final examination scores in primary and secondary schools between 2006 and 2011.(original abstract)
- Barro R., Lee J. (2001). International data on educational attainment: Updates and implications. Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, Vol. 53 (3).
- Biernacki M., Ejsmont W. (2011). Efficiency of education at secondary schools in Wrocław. Acta Universitatis Lodziensis, Folia Oeconomica 253.
- Biernacki M., Czesak-Woytala K. (2012). Efficiency of mathematical education in Poland. Didactics of Mathematics 9(13). Pp. 5-14.
- Bowles S. (1969). Educational production function. Office of Education (DHEW). Washington February 1969. Pp. 1-111.
- Card D.A., Krueger A.B. (1996). School resources and student outcomes: an overview of the literature and new evidence from North and South Carolina. Journal of Economic Perspectives 10 (4).
- Coleman J.S. (1966). Equality of educational opportunity. Washington DC. U.S. GPO.
- Ejsmont W. (2009). Optymalna liczebność grupy studentów. Prace Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu. Ekonometria 26. Wrocław.
- Gary-Bobo R.J., Mahjoub M. (2006). Estimation of class-size effects, using Maimonides rule: The case of French junior high schools. CEPR Discussion Paper. 5754.
- Hanushek E. (1986). The economics of schooling: Production and efficiency in public schools. Journal of Economic Literature. Vol. 24. Issue 3.
- Hanushek E. (2003). The failure of input-based schooling policies. Economic Journal. Vol. 113. F64-F98.
- Jeżowski A. (2012). Ekonomia oświaty w zarządzaniu szkołą. Wolters Kluwer. Warszawa.
- Lazear E. (2001). Educational production. Quarterly Journal of Economics. Vol. 116. Issue 3. August.
- Sparkers J. (1999). Schools, education and social exclusion. CASEpaper 29. Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion. London School of Economics. http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/case.