Hayek's Return to the Roots?
The purpose of the paper is to demonstrate how Friedrich von Hayek's views on the relation between knowledge and socialism were expressed differently over time. As we will see, his statements on prices and knowledge were sometimes contradictory. Our attempt is to first start with the original Mises's argument against socialism and then to capture Hayek's perception or perhaps even his misperception of it. In particular we plan to show that the term "knowledge" can be used to depict noticeable dissimilar meanings. Such an aspect can be seen when one compares Hayek's initial works about "knowledge" with his late answer to Lange's model of market socialism. Our general argument is that Hayek in his essay from 1982 sounds more like an original Mises's argument, rather than an altered one from the 1940s.(original abstract)
- Boettke, P., Economic Calculation. The Austrian Contribution to Political Economy [in:] Boettke, P., Calculation and Coordination. Essays on Socialism and Transitional Political Economy. Routledge, London and New York, 2001.
- Bylund, P., Ronald Coase's 'Nature of the Firm' and the Argument for Economic Planning "Journal of the History of Economic Thought", Vol. 36, No. 3, 2014.
- Coase, R. H., The Nature of the Firm, "Economica", Vol. 4, No. 16, pp. 386-405, 1937.
- Demsetz, H., Towards a Theory of Property Rights, "American Economic Review" Vol. 57 No. 2, 1967.
- Dickinson, H. D., Price Formation in a Socialist Community, "The Economic Journal" 43 (17), 1933.
- Dobb, M., Economic Theory and the Problems of a Socialist Economy, "The Economic Journal" 43 (172), 1933.
- Durbin, E. F. M., Economic Calculus in a Planned Economy, "The Economic Journal" 46 (184), 1936.
- Eucken, W., Hutchinson T. H., On the Theory of the Centrally Administrated Economy: An Analysis of the German Experiment. Part I, "Economica", New Series. Vol. 15, No. 58, 1948.
- Eucken, W., Hutchinson T. H., On the Theory of the Centrally Administrated Economy: An Analysis of the German Experiment. Part II, "Economica", New Series. Vol. 15, No. 59, 1948a.
- Hayek, F. A., Individualism and Economic Order. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1948.
- Hayek, F. A., Economics and Knowledge [in:] Hayek, F. A., 1948, pp. 33-56, 1948a.
- Hayek, F. A., The Use of Knowledge in Society [in:] Hayek, F. A., 1948, pp. 77-91, 1948b.
- Hayek, F. A., Socialist Calculation I: The Nature and History of the Problem [in:] Hayek, F. A., 1948, pp. 119-147, 1948c.
- Hayek, F. A., Facts in Social Sciences [in:] Hayek, F. A., 1948, pp. 57-76, 1948d.
- Hayek, F. A., Socialist Calculation II: The State of the Debate [in:] Hayek, F. A., 1948, pp. 148-180, 1948e.
- Hayek, F. A., Two Pages of Fiction, "Economics Affairs", Vol. 2, No. 3, 1982.
- Hoppe, H.-H., Socialism: A Property or Knowledge Problem?, "Review of Austrian Economics" 9 (1), 1996.
- Hoppe, H.-H., Kritik der kausalwissenschaftlichen Sozialforschung. Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1982.
- Kirzner, I., Reflections on the Misesian Legacy in Economics, "Review of Austrian Economics" 9 (2), 1996.
- Klein, Peter G., Economic Calculation and the Limits of Organization, "Review of Austrian Economics" 9, 1996.
- Knight, F., The Place of Marginal Economics in a Collectivist System, "The American Economic Review" 26 (1), 1936.
- Lange, O.; Taylor F. M., On the Economic Theory of Socialism. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1956.
- Lerner, A. P., Economic Theory and Socialist Economy, "The Review of Economic Studies" 2 (1), 1934.
- Machaj, M., Market Socialism and Economic Calculation, "Argumenta Oeconomica" 1 (32), 2014.
- McCloskey, D., Bourgeois Dignity. Why Economics Cannot Explain the Modern World. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 2010.
- Mises, L., Human Action. A Treatise on Economics. Foundation for Economic Education, Irvington-on-Hudson, NY, 1966.
- Mises, L., Economic Calculation in the Socialist Commonwealth. Ludwig von Mises Institute, Auburn, Al., 1990.
- Mises, L., Socialism. An Economic and Sociological Analysis, Liberty Fund Inc., Indianapolis, 1981.
- Mises, L., Liberalism: In The Classical Tradition, Foundation for Economic Education, Irvington-on-Hudson, NY, 1985.
- Popper, K., Poverty of Historicism, Harper & Row Publishers, New York, 1961.
- Salerno, J., Ludwig von Mises as Social Rationalist, "Review of Austrian Economics" 4, 1990.
- Schumpeter, J., Capitalism, Socialism, Democracy, Harper & Row Publishers, New York: New York, 1950.
- Stalebrink, O. J,. The Mises and Hayek controversy: Bridging Differences, "Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics" Vol. 7. No. 1, 2004.
- Yeager, L. B. 1994. Mises and Hayek on Calculation and Knowledge, "Review of Austrian Economics" 7 (2), 1994.