The Impact of Organizational Trust on a Firm's Market Value. The Effects of Firm Size
The paper investigates the relationship between organizational trust and a firm's market value through the perspective of company size. The paper addresses the theoretical and empirical gap regarding the effects of organizational trust on a firm's value by embarking on stewardship and agency theories. This provides a theoretical framework to extend the understanding of an organizational trust's influence on a firm's market value based on company size considering the extent to which a firm's size plays a role in determining the market value effect. Furthermore, the effects of firm size on an organizational trust's impact on market value were tested empirically through a moderation analysis drawing on a sample of 198 firms listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. It has been found that there is no significant association between organizational trust climate and a firm's market value. However, what materialized from this investigation, as predicted, is that the aggregate impact of the internal trust climate on market value depends on company size. Specifically, it is reported that high trust diminishes the value of big firms, but at the same time contributes to a firm's value in the case of small firms. Although these results might seem surprising, they are supported by arguments derived from the stewardship and agency theories distinguishing the possible positive and negative outcomes of organizational trust under different conditions.(original abstract)
- Aiken, L., West, S. G., Multiple Regression: Testing and Interpreting Interactions. Sage, Newbury Park, CA, 1991.
- Aramburu, N., Saenz, J., Structural Capital, Innovation Capability, and Size Effect: An Empirical Study, "Journal of Management & Organization" 17(3), pp. 307-325, 2011.
- Baron, R. M, Kenny, D. A., The Moderator-mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations, "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology" 51(6), pp. 1173-1182, 1986.
- Bierly, P. E. III, Gallagher, S., Explaining Alliance Partner Selection: Fit, Trust and Strategic Expediency, "Long Range Planning" 40(2), pp. 134-153, 2007.
- Bourgeois, L., Strategy and Environment. A Conceptual Integration, "Academy of Management Review" 5(1), pp. 25-39, 1980.
- Brower, H, Schoorman, D., Tan. H., A Model of Relational Leadership: The Integration of Trust and Leader-Member Exchange, "Leadership Quarterly" 11(2), pp. 227-250, 2000.
- Bruce, W. J., Natarajan, A., Rappaport, A., Shareholder Returns and Corporate Excellence, "The Journal of Business Strategy" 6(2), pp. 52-62, 1985.
- Bruhn, J. G. Trust and the Health of Organizations. Kluwer Academic, NewYork, 2001.
- Busacca, B., Castaldo, S., Trust as Market-based Resources: Economic Value, Antecedents and Consequences, [in:] Bijlsma-Frankema, Woolthuis, R. K. (eds.), Trust under Pressure, pp. 149-169, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 2005.
- Castelfranchi, C., Falcone, R., Trust Theory: A Socio-cognitive and Computational Model. Wiley, Chichester, 2010.
- Cho, H.-J., Pucik, V., Relationship between Innovativeness, Quality, Growth, Profitability, and Market Value, "Strategic Management Journal" 26, pp. 555-575, 2005.
- Chow, I. H.-S., How Trust Reduces Transaction Costs and Enhances Performance in China's Business, "SAM Advanced Management Journal" (Spring), pp. 25-34, 2008.
- Chrisman, J. J., Chua, J. H., Kellermanns, F. W., Chang, E. P. C., Are Family Managers Agents or Stewards? An Exploratory Study in Privately Held Firms. "Journal of Business Research" 60, pp. 1030-1038, 2007.
- Costa, A. C., R. A. Roe, et al., Trust within Teams: The Relation with Performance Effectiveness, "European Journal of Work & Organizational Psychology" 10(3), pp. 225-244, 2001.
- Darrough, O., Trust and Commitment in Organizations. VDM Verlag Dr Muller, Saarbrücken, 2008.
- Davis, J. H., Schoorman, F. D., Donaldson, L., Towards a Stewardship Theory of Management, "Academy of Management Review", 22, pp. 20-47, 1997.
- Davis, J. H., Schoorman, F. D., Mayer, R. C., Tan, H. H., The Trusted General Manager and Business Unit Performance: Empirical Evidence of a Competitive Advantage, "Strategic Management Journal" 21(5), pp. 563-576, 2000.
- Davis, J. H, Allen, M. R., Hayes, H. D., Is Blood Thicker Than Water? A Study of Stewardship Perceptions in Family Business, "Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice", 34, pp. 1042-2587, 2010.
- De Man, A.-P., Roijakkers, N., Alliance Governance: Balancing Control and Trust in Dealing with Risk, "Long Range Planning" 42 (1), pp. 75-95, 2009.
- Diamantopoulos, A., Sarstedt, M., Fuchs, C., Kaiser, C., Wilczyński, P., Guidelines for Choosing between Multi-Item and Single-Item Scales for Construct Measurement: A Predictive Validity Perspective, "Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science" 40(3), pp. 434-449, 2012.
- Dineen, B. R., J. Ling, et al., Manager Responses to Internal Transfer Attempts: Managerial Orientation, Social Capital, and Perceived Benefits as Predictors of Assisting, Hindering, or Refraining, "Organization Psychology Review" 1(4), pp. 293-315, 2011.
- Dirks, K. T., The Effects of Interpersonal Trust on Work Group Performance, "Journal of Applied Psychology" 84, pp. 445-455, 1999.
- Dirks, K. T., Ferrin, L. D., The Role of Trust in Organizational Settings, "Organization Science" 12(4), pp. 450-467, 2001.
- Donaldson, L., The Ethereal Hand: Organizational Economics and Management Theory, "Academy of Management Review", 15(3), pp. 369-381, 1990.
- Donaldson, L., Davies, H. J., Stewardship Theory and Agency Theory: CEO Governance and Shareholder Returns, "Australian Journal of Management" 16(1), pp. 49-64, 1991.
- Dwivedi, R. S., Increasing Trust Improves Productivity, "Long Range Planning" 18(3), pp. 82-90, 1985.
- Eisenhardt, K. L., Agency Theory: A Review and Assessment, "Academy of Management Review" 14(1), pp. 57-74, 1989.
- Eddleston, K. A., Commentary: The Prequel to Family Firm Culture and Stewardship: The Leadership Theory Perspective, "Journal of Business Venturing", 22(4), pp. 545-565, 2008.
- Filbeck, G., Preece, D., Fortune's Best 100 Companies to Work for in America: Do They Work for Shareholders?, "Journal of Business & Accounting" 30(5), pp. 771-797, 2003.
- Gulati, R., Sytch, M., The Dynamics of Trust, "Academy of Management Review", 33(1), pp. 276-278, 2008.
- Hacker, S. K., The Trust Imperative: Performance Improvement through Productive Relationships. ASQ Quality Press, Milwaukee 2002.
- Hair Jr. J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., Multivariate Data Analysis. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River 2006.
- Hayes, A. F., Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis. A Regression-Based Approach. The Guilford Press, New York 2013.
- Hofstede, G., Hofstede, G. J., Minkov, M., Cultures and Organizations. Software of the Mind: Intercultural Cooperation and Its Importance for Survival. McGraw Hill, New York 2010.
- Huff, L., Kelley, L., Levels of Organizational Trust in Individualist versus Collectivist Societies: A Seven-nation Study, "Organization Science" 14(1), pp.81-90, 2003.
- Jensen, M., Meckling, W., Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure, "Journal of Financial Economics", 3(4), pp. 305-360, 1976.
- Jiang, X., Li, M., Gao, S., Bao, Y., Jiang, F., Managing Knowledge Leakage in Strategic Alliances: The Effects of Trust and Formal Contracts, "Industrial Marketing Management", 42(6), pp. 983-991, 2013.
- Keats, W., Hitt, M. A., A Casual Model of Linkages among Environmental Dimensions, Macro Organizational Characteristics, and Performance, "The Academy of Management Journal", 31(3), pp. 570-598, 1998.
- Kifin-Peterson, S., Trust: A Neglected Variable in Team Effectiveness Research, "Journal of Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management", 10(1), pp. 38-53, 2004.
- Kroeger, F., How Trust in Institutionalized? Understanding Collective and Long-Term Trust Orientations [in:] Bachman, R., Zaheer, A. (eds.), Handbook of Advances in Trust Research, pp. 261-284. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham 2013.
- Lam, L. W., Lau, D., Work Climate and Customer Satisfaction: The Role of Trust in the Retail Context, "Journal of Management & Organization", 14(2), pp. 141-154, 2008.
- Langfred, C. W., Too Much of a Good Thing? Negative Effects of High Trust and Individual Autonomy in Self-Management Teams, "Academy of Management Journal", 47(3), pp. 385-399, 2004.
- Levin, D. Z., R. Cross et al., Why Should I Trust You? Predictors of Interpersonal Trust in Knowledge Transfer Context, Working paper. Denver 2003.
- Livet, P., Reynaud, B., Organisational Trust, Learning and Implicit Commitment, [in:] Lazaric, N., Lorenz, E. (eds.), Trust and Economic Learning. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar, pp. 266-284, 1998.
- Madhok, A., Opportunism and Trust in Joint Venture Relationship: An Exploratory Study and a Model, "Scandinavian Journal of Management", 11(1), pp. 57-74, 1995.
- March, J. G., Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning, "Organization Science", 2(1), pp. 71-87, 1991.
- Mayer, R. C., Davis, H. J., Schoorman, F. D., An Integrative Model of Organizational Trust, "Academy of Management Journal", 20(3), pp. 709-734, 1995.
- Mishra, J., Morrissey, A. M., Trust in Employee/employer Relationships: A Survey of West Michigan Managers, "Public Personnel Management", 18(4), pp. 443-485, 1990.
- McAllister, D. J., Affect and Cognition-Based Trust as Foundations for Interpersonal Cooperation in Organizations, "Academy of Management Journal", 38(1), pp. 24-59, 1995.
- McEvily, B., Perrone, V., Zaheer, A., Trust as an Organizing Principle, "Organization Science", 14(1), pp. 91-103, 2003.
- McGregor, D., The Professional Manager. McGraw-Hill, New York 1967.
- Molina-Morales, F. X., Martinez-Fernandez, M. T., Torlo, V. J., The Dark Side of Trust: The Benefits, Costs and Optimal Levels of Trust for Innovation Performance, "Long Range Planning", 44(2), pp. 118-133, 2011.
- Nicolau, J. L., Santa-Maria, M. J., The Effect of Innovation on Hotel Market Value, "International Journal of Hospitality Management", 32, pp. 71-79, 2013.
- Pirson, M., Facing the Trust Gap: Measuring and Managing Stakeholder Trust. SVH, Saarbrücken 2008.
- Rappaport, A., Stock Market Signals to Managers, "Harvard Business Review", 65(6), pp. 57-62, 1987.
- Ross, S., The Economic Theory of Agency: The Principal's Problem, "American Economic Review", 63(2), pp. 134-139, 1973.
- Rousseau, D. S., Sitkin, S., Burt, R., Camerer, C., Not So Different after All: A Cross-discipline View of Trust, "Academy of Management Review" 23(2), pp. 387-392, 1998.
- Sankowska, A., Relationship between Organizational Trust, Knowledge Transfer, Knowledge Creation and Firm's Innovativeness, "Learning Organization", 20(1), pp. 85-100, 2013.
- Schoorman, F. D., Mayer, R. C., Davis, J. H., An Integrative Model of Organizational Trust: Present, Past, and Future, "Academy of Management Review" 32(2), pp. 344-354, 2007.
- Segal, L., Lehrer, M., The Institutionalization of Stewardship: Theory, Propositions and Insight from Change in the Edmonton Public Schools, "Organization Studies", 33(2), pp. 169-201, 2012.
- Sherwood, D., Seeing the Forest for the Trees: A Manager's Guide to Applying Systems Thinking, Nicholas Brealey, London 2002.
- Shockley-Zalabak, P., Morreale, P. S., et al., Building the High-trust Organization. Strategies for Supporting Key Dimensions of Trust. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco 2010.
- Sood, A., Tellis, G. J., Do Innovations Really Pay Off? Total Stock Market Returns to Innovation, "Marketing Science", 28(3), pp. 442-56, 2009.
- Sorescu, A. B., Spanjol, J., Innovation's Effect on Firm Value and Risk: Insight from Consumer Packaged Goods, "Journal of Marketing", 72(2), pp. 114-132, 2008.
- Spitzer, D. R., Transforming Performance Measurement: Rethinking the Way We Measure and Drive Organizational Success. AMACOM, New York 2007.
- Srinivasan, S., Hanssens, D. M., Marketing and Firm Value: Metrics, Methods, Findings, and Future Directions, "Journal of Marketing Research", 46(3), pp. 293-312, 2009.
- Stepanova, O., Manager-Subordinate Trust Relationship in Spain, [in:] Cardona, P., Morley, J. M. (eds.), Manager-Subordinate Trust. A Global Perspective, pp. 77-95. Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, New York 2013.
- Cardona, P., Morley, J. M. (eds.), Manager-Subordinate Trust. A Global Perspective. Routledge Taylor & Francis, New York 2013.
- Suseno, Y., Ratten, V., A Theoretical Framework of Alliance Performance: The Role of Trust, Social Capital and Knowledge Development, "Journal of Management and Organization", 13(1), pp. 4-23, 2007.
- Tan, H. H., Tan F. S. C., Toward the Differentiation of Trust in Supervisor and Trust in Organization, "Genetic, Social and General Psychology Monographs", 126(2), pp. 241-260, 2000.
- Tsai, W., Ghoshal, S., Social Capital and Value Creation: The Role of Intrafirm Networks, "Academy of Management Journal", 41(4), pp. 404-476, 1998.
- Van Slyke, D., Agents or Stewards: Using Theory to Understand the Government - Non-profit Social Service Contracting Relationship, "Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory", 17(2), pp. 157-187, 2007.
- Williamson, O. E., Market and Hierarchies: Analysis and Antitrust Implications. Free Press, New York 1975.