Wither North Korea?
What can possibly account for Kim dynasty's survival through the turbulent and trying times since the 1980s, when most of other communist countries have cither collapse or undergone substantial changes? A good answer to this question is a pre-requisite for any speculation about the future of N. Korea. Broadly, I believe, there are two kinds of factors responsible for the N. Korea's staying power until recently - internal and external. I will first try to explain these factors. Next, I will discuss how these two factors may have changed since the waning years of KJI, since 2007. I will close the paper with some speculations on how the changes may impact the staying power of KJU and the likely scenarios for N. Korea. (fragment of text)
- Choi Y.B., Merril Y., Yang Y.Y., Chang S. (eds.), 2001, Perspectives on Korean Unification and Economic Integration. Cheltenham; Edward Elgar.
- Hanke S., 2013, North Korea: From Hyperinflation to Dollarization, "GlobeAsia" July, pp. 22-24.
- Hunter H.-L., 1999, Kim Il-Sung's Korea, Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Hwang J.-Y., 1999,1 Saw the Truth in History (in Korean), Han-eol.
- Shin D.-H., Harden B., 2012, Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey From North Korea to Freedom in the West, New York: Viking Adult.