Characteristics of Deposit Insurance Research and the Challenges Ahead
The article aims to present the history of research relating to deposit insurance. It identifies the main fields of interest in selected periods of study, presents the policy conclusions and indicates papers written by the most popular authors handling these topics. Deposit insurers seem to be the least scientifically examined financial safety net participants. The post-crisis regulatory reforms in financial markets all over the world require a redefinition of the role of deposit insurance. The authors sum up the research in the field of deposit insurance performed so far and indicate the new research challenges and rationale for undertaking them.(original abstract)
- Altma E.I. (1968): Financial Ratios, Discrimination Analysis and the Prediction of Corporate Bankruptcy, Journal of Finance, Vol. 23, No. 4, September, pp. 589-609.
- Beaver, W.H. (1966): Financial Ratios as Predictors of Failure, Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 4, pp. 71-111.
- Beck, T. (2001): Deposit insurance as private club - Is Germany a model?, World Bank, Policy Research Working Paper Series 2559.
- Blinder, A.S., Wescott, R.F. (2001): Reform of Deposit Insurance a Report to the FDIC, FDIC.
- Bryant, J. (1980): A model of reserves, bank runs, and deposit insurance, Journal of Banking & Finance, Vol. 4, Issue 4.
- Buser, S., Chen, A.H., Kane, E.J. (1981): Federal Deposit Insurance, Regulatory Policy, and Optimal Bank Capital, Journal of Finance, Vol. 36, pp. 51-60.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Detragiache, E. (1999): Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability? An Empirical Investigation, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 2247, November.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Kane, E., Laeven, L. (2014): Deposit Insurance Database, IMF Working Paper, July.
- Diamond, D.W., Dybvig, P.H. (1983): Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity, Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 91, Issue 3, June, pp. 401-419.
- EC (2011): JRC Report under Article 12 of Directive 94/19/EC as amended by Directive 2009/14/EC, JRC, Unit G09, Ispra (Italy).
- FSB (2012: Thematic Review on Deposit Insurance Systems. Peer Review Report, Basel.
- Furlong, F.T. (1984): A view on deposit insurance coverage, Economic Review, pp. 31-38.
- Garcia, G.G. (1999): Deposit Insurance: A Survey of Actual and Best Practices, IMF, WP/99/54, April.
- Garcia, G.G. (1996): Deposit Insurance: Obtaining the Benefits and Avoiding the Pitfalls, IMF Working Papers 96/83.
- Goodhart, C.A.E. (2006): Schoenmaker, Burden sharing in a banking crisis in Europe, PENNING - OCHVALUTA POLITIK 2/2006.
- Goodhart, C.A.E. (2004): Some New Directions for Financial Stability?, Per Jacobsson Lecture, LSE, pp. 34-57.
- Gros, D. (2013): Schoenmaker D., European Deposit Insurance and Resolution in the Banking Union, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol 52, No 3, December, pp. 529-546.
- Horvitz, P.M. (1975): Failures of Large Banks: Implications for Banking Supervision and Deposit Insurance, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 10, Issue 4, pp. 589-601.
- IADI (2012) Annual Survey.
- IADI (2014) Annual Survey.
- IADI, Bibliography of papers related to deposit insurance 1934-2012.
- IADI, Research and Guidance, Papers, www.iadi.org/Research.aspx?id=55, access: 17 June 2015.
- IADI (2014): The Revised Core Principles for Effective Deposit Insurance Systems, November.
- IMF (2013): Deposit Insurance. Technical Note, Washington, March.
- Kane, E.J. (1989): How Incentive-Incompatible Deposit-Insurance Funds Fail, NBER Working Papers 2836, February.
- Kreps, C.H., Wacht, R.F. (1971): A More Constructive Role for Deposit Insurance, Journal of Finance, Vol. 26, Issue 2, pp. 605-613.
- Laeven, L., Valencia, F. (2008): The Use of Blanket Guarantees in Banking Crises, IMF.
- Pennacchi, G. (1984): Partial Deposit, Bank Runs and Private Deposit Insurance, Center for Financial, pp. 17-84.
- Sharpe, W.F. (1977): Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance and Security Values, Part I, NBER Working Papers 0209.
- Shibut, L. (2002): Should Bank Liability Structure Influence Deposit Insurance Pricing?, FDIC Working Paper No. 2002-01, January.
- Taggart, J.H., Jennings, L.D. (1934): The Insurance of Bank Deposits, Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 42, No. 4, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, pp. 508-516.
- Tarr, D. (2010): Why Too Big to Fail is a Myth, New Economic School, Moscow, July.
- Thomson, J.B. (1986): Alternative methods for assessing risk-based deposit insurance premiums, Economic Commentary, September.
- Tomasic R. (2011): The Emerging EU Framework for Bank Recovery and Resolution, Corporate Rescue and Insolvency, April, pp. 40-42.
- Wheelock, D.C., Wilson, P.W. (1993): Explaining bank failures: deposit insurance, regulation, and efficiency, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, Working Paper Series 1993-002.
- World Bank (2003): Banking Regulation Database.
- World Bank (2013): Poland: BCBS-IADI Core Principles for Effective Deposit Insurance Systems, Washington.