Generation Y on the e-commerce Market : Comparison between Polish and South Korean Young Consumers' Behaviour
This article investigates the problem of Polish and South Korean Millennials' consumer behaviour on the e-commerce market. There were arguments about whether Generation Y members as Digital Natives are rather a coherent or diversifi ed cohort of consumers. They were raised in the culturally diversifi ed world, but the trend of globalization and the use of the Internet may infl uence their consumer behaviour in a similar way. The aim of this paper is to reveal particular patterns crucial to understanding their way of making an online purchase. An online survey was conducted among Polish and South Korean respondents from Generation Y in order to investigate this issue. Besides being the representatives of culturally distant cultures, the two groups from the research sample revealed mostly convergent preferences and attitudes towards making an online purchase. Also, Polish and South Korean respondents revealed different attitudes online and offl ine, when compared to the cohort general analysis. In terms of making an online purchase via their mobile phones, Poles and Koreans remained coherent outside their national group and diversifi ed inside their national group in terms of e-commerce but patterns slightly differed. Since this research was limited by too general e-commerce context, the aspect of making m-purchase should be investigated in the future. (original abstract)
- Anderson, T. (2015) "Gen Xers are doing the worst job with money: Survey", CNBC. Retrieved from: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/04/money-the-best.html.
- Barton, Ch., Kostow, L. and Beauchamp, Ch. (2014) "How Millennials Are Changing the Face of Marketing Forever.
- The Reciprocity Principle", BCG, The Boston Consulting Group. Retrieved from: http://marketing-stg.bcg.com/.
- Bolton, R.N. (2013) "Understanding Generation Y and their use of social media: a review and research agenda", Journal of Service Management, 24(3), pp. 245-267.
- Burke, R.R. (2002) "Technology and the Customer Interface: What Consumers Want in the Physical and Virtual Store", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 30(4), pp. 411-432.
- Burstein, D. and LaMontagne, L. (28.07.2015) "E-commerce chart: Online shopping behaviour of Millennials versus Baby Boomers", MarketingSherpa. Retrieved from: https://www.marketingsherpa.com/article/chart/online-shopping-behaviors-based-on-age.
- Cichomski, G., Hutten-Czapski, F., Rał, M. and Sass, W. (2011) "Polska Internetowa. Jak internet dokonuje transformacji polskiej gospodarki", The Boston Consulting Group. Retrieved from: http://www.polskainternetowa.pl/raport/.
- de Reuver, M., Nikon, S. and Bouwman, H. (2015) "The interplay of costs, trust and loyalty in a service industry in transition. The moderating effect of smartphone adoption", Telematics and Informatics, 32(4), pp. 694-700.
- Dziewanowska, K.(2012) Relacje i lojalność klientów w marketingu, Wydawnictwo Wydziału Zarządzania UW.
- Eisner, S.P. (2005) "Managing Generation Y", SAM Advanced Management Journal, 70(4), pp. 4-15.
- EliteDaily (2015) Millennial Consumer Trends. Retrieved from: https://s3.amazonaws.com/elitedaily-public/2015_EliteDaily_MillennialSurvey-2.pdf.
- Fromm, J. and Garton, Ch. (2013) Marketing to Millennials: Reach the largest and most infl uential generation of consumers ever, New York: AMACOM.
- Garcia, D.B., Arino, L.C. and Blasco M.G. (2015) "The effect of culture in forming e-loyalty intentions: A crosscutural analysis between Argentina and Spain", BRQ Business Research Querterly, 18(4), pp. 275-292.
- Hofstede, G. (2011) "Dimensionalizing Cultures: The Hofstede Model in Context", Online Readings in Psychology and Culture, 2(1). Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.9707/2307-0919.1014.
- Kacprzak, A. and Dziewanowska, K. (2015) "|Does a global young consumer exist? A comparative study of South Korea and Poland", Journal of Marketing and Consumer Behaviour in Emerging Markets, 1(1), pp. 47-61.
- Kacprzak-Choińska, A. (2011) "Segmenting of Polish teenager market by sociocultural variables", Journal of Customer Behaviour, 10(2), pp. 161-180.
- Kim, M.O. and Jaffe, S. (2010) The new Korea: an inside look at South Korea's economic rise, New York: AMACOM.
- Laudon, K.C. and Traver, C.G.(2010) E-commerce 2010: Business, Technology, Society, Pearson.
- Leefl ang, P.S.H., Verhoef, P.C., Dahlstrom P. and Freundit T. (2014) "Challenges and solutions for marketing in a digital area", European Management Journal, 32(1), pp. 1-12.
- Mangold, W.G. and Faulds, D.J.(2009) "Social Media: The new hybrid element of the promotion mix", Business Horizons, 52(4), pp. 357-365.
- Mannheim, K. (1952) "The problem of generations", in: Kecskemeti, P. (Ed.), Essays on the Sociology of Knowledge (pp. 276-322), London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- McMullin, J., Comeau, T. and Jovic, E. (2007) "Generational affi nities and discourses of difference: a case study of highly skilled information technology workers", British Journal of Sociology, 58, pp. 297-316.
- Mick, D.G. and Fournier, S. (1998) Paradoxes of technology: Consumer cognizance, emotions, and coping strategies, Journal of Consumer Research, 25, pp. 123-143.
- Parment, A. (2013) "Generation Y vs. Baby Boomers: Shopping behaviour, buyer involvement and implications for retailing", Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 20(2), pp. 189-199.
- Parry, E. and Urwin, P. (2011) "Generational differences in work values: A review of theory and evidence", International Journal of Management Reviews, 13(1), pp. 79-96.
- Rattner, S.(31.07.2015) "We're making life too hard for Millennials", The New York Times. Retrieved from: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/opinion/sunday/were-making-life-too-hard-for-millennials.html.
- Schawbel, D. (20.01.2015) "10 New Findings About The Millennial Consumer", The Forbes. Retrieved from: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2015/01/20/10-new-fi ndings-about-the-millennial-consumer/.
- Schiffman, L., Sherman, E. and Long, M. (2003) "Toward a Better Understanding of the Interplay of Personal Values and the Internet", Psychology and Marketing, 20(2), pp. 169-186.
- Smith, T. (2009) "The social media revolution", International Journal of Market Research, 51(4), pp. 559-561.
- Strizhakova, Y., Coulte,r R. and Princeconfuc, L. (2012) "The young adult cohort in emerging markets: Assessing their glocal cultural identity in a global marketplace", International Journal of Research in Marketing, 29(1), pp. 43-54.
- Tapscott, D. (2008) Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World, New York: Mcgraw-Hill.
- The Hofstede Center (2015) Poland, The Hofstede Center. Retrieved from: http://geert-hofstede.com/poland.html.
- The Hofstede Center (2015) South Korea, The Hofstede Center. Retrieved from: http://geert-hofstede.com/southkorea.html.
- Turban, E., King, D., Lee, J., Liang, T. and Turban D.C. (2012) Electronic Commerce 2012: A Managerial and social Networks Perspective, Pearson.
- Verhoeven, H., Chansarkar, B. and Williams, S. (2009) "Convergence, Divergence or "A Middle Way'? The infl uence of Culture on Internet Recruitment", International Review of Business Research Papers, 5(1), pp. 87-96.