Big Data - Opportunity or Threat for Business?
In order to understand the trend which is big data arousal and development throughout last years, there shall be a statistic quoted. In the history of mankind, there was never such a big amount of data produced as it is now, 90% of all data created in the whole world today, has been generated during last 2 years (Gobble, 2013, pp. 64-66). Nevertheless, big data term is not newly invented. The first two to use the term big data were Cox and Ellsworth (1997) who referred to using big amount of data (also called large data) for visualization of scientific data, however since that moment the term evolved. Nowadays it includes integration of different types of data and analysis of it (O'Leary, 2013, pp. 53). Companies have an opportunity to capture trillions of bytes of information, which consider the consumers and their behavior, the suppliers and all companies' operations. All stakeholders of the company produce data by different means and now data no matter of the amount or form can end up being analyzed by companies. Data is sensed, created, transformed and communicated due to the millions of networked sensors which are embedded in the physical world both in the devices such as mobile phones, but also more and more often in the physical objects connected to the Internet like fridges, washing machines or automobiles. Individuals with smartphones fueled exponential growth, but big data seems to be much more complex phenomenon. Big data understood as enormous amount of all types and forms of constantly changing and evolving data that can be collected, communicated, aggregated, accumulated and examine - is now part of every sector and function of the global economy. (fragment of text)
- Abu-Elkheir M., Hayajneh M., & Abu Ali N., 2013, Data Management for the Internet of Things: Design Primitives and Solution, "Sensors" (14248220), Vol. 13(11.
- Bajarin T., 2014, The Next Big Thing for Tech: The Internet of Eveiything, http://time.com/539/the-next-big-thing-for-tech-the-intemet-of-everything/.
- Barwick H., 2013, Five Internet of Eveiything Gadgets, "Cio" (13284045), Vol. 10.
- Cox M., Ellsworth D., 1997, Managing Big Data for Scientific Visualization, "ACM Siggraph" August.
- Crawford K., 2014, When Big Data Marketing Becomes Stalking, http ://www. scientificamerican. com/article/when-big-data-marketing-becomcs-sta Iking/ (12.03.2013).
- Crawford K., Schultz J., 2014, Big Data and Due Process: Toward a Framework to Redress Predictive Privacy Harms, "Boston College Law Review", Vol. 55.
- IBM, 2013, Delivering New Insights and Value to Consumer Products Companies through Big Data World . http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias? subtype=WH&mfotype=SA&appname=SWGE_IM_IM_USEN&htmlfid=IMWl 4713USEN&attachment=IMWl4713USEN.PDF (10.03.2013).
- Dlodlo N., Foko T., Mvelase P., & Mathaba S., 2012, The State of Affairs in Internet of Things Research. "Electronic Journal of Information Systems Evaluation", Vol. 15(3).
- Emerald Publishing, 2013, So, Are the Geeks Inheriting the Earth?: Big Data, Big Decisions and Best Practice for Information Management, "Strategic Direction", Vol. 29(9).
- Forbes, 2013, Having It Their Way: The Big Opportunity in Personalized Products, http://www.forbes.com/sites/baimnsights/2013/ll/05/having-it-their-way-the-big- opportunity-in-personalized-products/ (11.03.2013).
- Gobble M., 2013, Big Data: The Next Big Thing in Innovation, "Research Technology Management", Vol. 56(1).
- Google, 2014, Self-Driving Car Test, http://www.google.com/about/careers/lifeatgoogle/ self-driving-car-test-steve-mahan.html (10.03.2014).
- Hasker S., 2013, Using Big Data to Engage with the New Consumer, http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswire/2013/using-big-data-to-engage-with-the- new-consumer.html (11.03.2013).
- IBM Big Data Hub, 2012, The 4 V's of Big Data, http://www.ibmbigdatahub.com/ infographic/four-vs-big-data (24.02.2014).
- Intuit, 2012, The New Data Democracy: How Big Data Will Revolutionize the Lives of Small Businesses and Consumers, http://network.intuit.com/wp-content/uploads/ 2012/12/intuit_corp_vision2020_l 21412-final.pdf. (11.03.2013).
- Jawbone, 2013, The UP system, https://jawbone.com/up (10.03.2014).
- Koslowski T., 2013 Forget the Internet of Things. Here Comes the Internet of Cars, http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/01/forget-the-intemet-of-things-here-comes-the-internet-of-cars/( 10.03.2014).
- Kotarbiński J., 2013, Szkiełko czy duch. "Marketing w praktyce", nr 8(186).
- Liebenson D., 2012, Big Data: Opportunity or Threat for Market Research? http://www.greenbookblog.org/2012/03/21/big-data-opportaity-or-tfo-eat-for-market-research/ (12.03.2013).
- Manyika J., Chui M., Brown B., Bughin J., Dobbs R., Roxburgh C. & Hung Byers A., 2011, Big Data: The Next Frontier for Innovation, Competition andProductivity, "McKinsey Global Institute Report" June.
- Marr B., 2013, The Awesome Ways Big Data Is Used Today To Change Our World, http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20131113065157-64875646-the- awesome-ways-big-data-is-used-today-to-change-our-world (10.03.2013).
- McAfee A. & Brynjolfsson E., 2013, Big data, czyli przełom w zarządzaniu firmą, "Harvard Business Review Polska", nr 4.
- McKinney C., 2013, "Big Data'' Could Create Big Discrimination Problems, http://www.texasemploymentlawblog.com/2013/ll/articles/age-discrimination- 1 /big-data-could-create-big-discrimination/ (12.03.2013).
- Mitchell S., Villa N., Stewart-Weeks M., Lan A., 2013, The Internet of Everything for Cities ' Cisco. http://www.cisco.com/web/aboul/ac79/docs/ps/motm/IoE-Smart-City_ PoV.pdf. (12.03.2014).
- O'Leary D., 2013, 'Big Data', the 'Internet af Things' and the 'Internet of Signs', "Intelligent Systems In Accounting, Finance & Management", Vol. 20( 1).
- Parchment, 2011, New Student-Developed Site Helps College Hopefuls Gauge Their Admissions Chances, Request Transcripts Online, http://www.parchment.com/press- releases/new-student-developed-site-helps-college-hopeiuls-gauge-theh-admissions-chances-request-transcripts-online/ (12.03.2013).
- Parchment, 2014, Discover the Right College for You, http://www.parchment.com/c/my-chances/ (12.03.2013).
- Salter J., 2013, Technology Review: Jawbone UP, Tried and Tested, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ technology/reviews/10477738/Technology-review-Jawbone-UP-tried-and- tested.html (12.03.2013).
- Schrage M., 2014, Big Data's Dangerous New Era of Discrimination, http://blogs.hbr.org/ 2014/01 /big-datas-dangerous-new-era-of-discrimination/