Do Regulations and Supervision Shape the Capital Crunch Effect of Large Banks in the EU?
This paper extends the literature on the capital crunch effect by examining the role of public policy for the link between lending and capital in a sample of large banks operating in the European Union. Applying Blundell and Bond (1998) two-step robust GMM estimator we show that restrictions on bank activities and more stringent capital standards weaken the capital crunch effect, consistent with reduced risk taking and boosted bank charter values. Official supervision also reduces the impact of capital ratio on lending in downturns. Private oversight seems to be related to thin capital buffers in expansions, and therefore the capital crunch effect is enhanced in countries with increased market discipline. We thus provide evidence that neither regulations nor supervision at the microprudential level is neutral from a financial stability perspective. Weak regulations and supervision seem to increase the pro-cyclical effect of capital on bank lending. (original abstract)
- Barth, J.R., G. Jr. Caprio and R Levine (2006), 'Rethinking Bank Regulation. Till Angels Govern'New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Barth, J.R., G. Jr. Caprio and R Levine (2013), 'Measure it, improve it. Bank Regulation and Supervision in 180 Countries 1999-2011'. Milken Institute.
- Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) (2011), 'Basel III: a global regulatory framework for more resilient banks and banking systems'. Basel: Bank for International Settlements.
- Beatty, A., and S. Liao (2011), 'Do delays in expected loss recognition affect banks' willingness tolend?' Journal of Accounting and Economics 52, 1-20
- Beatty, A., and S. Liao (2014), 'Financial accounting in the banking industry: A review of the empirical literature' Journal of Accounting and Economics 58, 339-383
- Berrospide, J.M., and R.M. Edge (2010), 'The effects of bank capital on lending: What do we know? And What does it mean?' International Journal of Central Banking, December 2010, 5-54.
- Blundell, R., and S. Bond (1998), 'Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model.' Journal of Econometrics 87, 115-143.
- Borio, C., and V. H. Zhu (2012),'Capital Regulation, Risk-Taking, and Monetary Policy: A Missing Link in the Transmission Mechanism?' Journal of Financial Stability 8, 236-251.
- Boyd, J., and E. Prescott (1986), 'Financial Intermediary - coalitions', Journal of Economic Theory 38, 211-232.
- Brewer, E., G.G. Kaufman and L. D. Wall (2008), 'Bank Capital Ratios Across Countries: Why Do They Vary?' Journal of Financial Services Research 34, 177-201.
- Bridges, J., D. Gregory, M. Nielsen, S. Pezzini, A. Radia, and M. Spaltro (2014), 'The impact of capital requirements on bank lending', Working Paper No. 486. Bank of England.
- Carlson, M., H. Shan and M. Warusawitharana (2013), 'Capital ratios and bank lending: A matched bank approach' Journal of Financial Intermediation 22, 663-687
- De Haan, J., Poghosyan T (2012) 'Bank size, market concentration and bank earnings volatility in the US', Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions, and Money 22:35-54.
- Dewatripont, M., and J. Tirole (1994), 'The Prudential Regulation of banks', MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Diamond D.W. (1984), 'Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring', The Review of Economic Studies 51, 393-414.
- Diamond D.W. and P.H. Dybvig (1983), 'Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity' Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 91 (June), 401-419.
- DIRECTIVE 2013/36/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 26 June 2013 on access to the activity of credit institutions and the prudential supervision of credit institutions and investment firms, amending Directive 2002/87/EC and repealing Directives 2006/48/EC and 2006/49/EC ((L 176). (CRDIV)
- Fonseca, A.R., and F. González (2008), 'Cross-country determinants of bank income smoothing by managing loan-loss provisions' Journal of Banking and Finance 32, 217-228.
- Fonseca, A.R., and F. González (2010). 'How bank capital buffers vary across countires: The influence of cost of deposits, market power and bank regulation'. Journal of Banking and Finance 34, 892-902.
- Franses, P.H., and D. Dijk (2005), 'The forecasting performance of various models for seasonality and nonlinearity for quarterly industrial production', International Journal of Forecasting, 21, 87-102.
- Freixas X, G. Loranth and A.D. Morrison (2007), 'Regulating financial conglomerates', Journal of Financial Intermediation 16, 479-514.
- Gambacorta, L., Marqués-Ibáñez D. 2011, 'The bank lending channel. Lessons from the crisis. Working Paper Series No 1335/May 2011, European Central Bank.
- Jackson, P., C., Furfine,H.,Groeneveld, D., Hancock, D., Jones, W., Perraudin, L., Radecki and M., Yoneyama,(1999). 'Capital Requirements and Bank Behaviour: The Impact of The Basle Accord', Basle: Bank for International Settlements.
- Jensen M., and W., Meckling,(1976),'Theory of the firm: managerial behaviour, agency costs and ownership structure', Journal of Financial Economics, 3,305-360.
- Labonne, C., and Lame, G. (2014) 'Credit Growth and Bank Capital Requirements: Binding or Not?' Working Paper
- Lenart, Ł., and M. Pipień (2013), 'Almost Periodically Correlated Time Series in Business Fluctuations Analysis', Acta Physica Polonica A 123(3), 70-86.
- Merton, R. C., (1974), 'On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates', Journal of Finance, 29, 449-70.
- Minsky, H.P., (1986), Stabilizing an unstable economy. Mc Graw Hill 2008
- Mora, N., and A. Logan (2012), 'Shocks to bank capital: Evidence from UK Banks at Home and Away', Applied Economics 44 (9), 1103-1119.
- Myers, S. (1984), 'The capital structure puzzle', Journal of Finance39, 575-592.
- Myers, S., and N. Majluf, (1984), 'Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have', Journal of Financial Economics 13, 187-221
- Parzen, E., and M. Pagano (1979) 'An approach to modeling seasonally stationary time-series', Journal of Econometrics, 9, 137-153.
- Peek, J., and E. Rosengren (1995), 'The capital crunch: Neither a borrower nor a lender be', Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking,27, 625-638.
- REGULATION(EU) No 575/2013OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 26 June 2013 on prudential requirements for credit institutions and investment firms and amending Regulation (EU) No 648/2012 (L 176). (CRR)
- Resti, A., and A. Sironi (2007), 'Risk management and shareholders' value in banking', John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
- Roberts, M.R., and T.M. Whited (2011), 'Endogeneity in Empirical Corporate Finance', Financial Research and Policy Working Paper No. FR 11-29. The Bradley Policy Research Center. University of Rochester.
- Roodman, D. (2009), 'Practitioners Corner: A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments', Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 71, 135-156.
- Schooner HM, Taylor MW (2010) Global Bank Regulation. Principles and Policies. Elsevier, Academic Press.
- Tirole, J., (2001), 'When markets fail', IMF Survey 30(2).
- Tirole, J., (2006), 'The theory of corporate finance', Princeton University Press. Princeton. New Jersey.
- Van den Heuvel, S.J., (2011), 'Banking Conditions and the Effects of Monetary Policy: Evidence from U.S.', Federal Reserve Board, Working Paper.
- Windmeijer, F. (2005), 'A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two step GMM estimators', Journal of Econometrics, 126(1), 25-51.