Real Estate Management in Malaysian Public Schools : Determination of Success Factors
Effective real estate management practice is needed to ensure that the property in Malaysia, including public schools, can be fully utilized. The purpose of this study is to identify the success factors of the real estate management of Malaysia's public schools. To achieve this aim, a questionnaire was developed as a research tool. The respondents involved were representatives of public schools and officers from the state education department offices (on the basis of whom the total population was calculated) in Pulau Pinang, Malaysia. The respondents were chosen using a random sampling method. The success factors of managing property in public schools were identified by Exploratory Factor Analysis (EFA), using the principals of component analysis, the t-test, Cronbach's alpha and mean analysis. The findings show that the majority of the respondents agreed that all of the listed 18 success factors within the 4 main factor groups as addressed in the survey are important for the efficient and effective improvement of real estate management, especially in Malaysian public schools. (original abstract)
- ABD. RAHMAN, M.N., 2004, Pengurusan Harta Tanah Komersial dan Awam, Leeds Publication, Petaling Jaya.
- ABDUL HAMID, M. I., 2000, An Introduction to Property Marketing, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. Article source at http://eprints.utm.my/4495/1/propertymarketing.pdf. 2 November 2013, 2.45 a.m.
- AKIMOV, A., STEVENSON, S. AND ZAGONOV, M., 2015, Public Real Estate and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A Cross-Country Study, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, DOI 10.1007/s11146-014-9492-x. [CrossRef]
- ARNOLD L. R. AND JOHN R. T., 1989, The Acquisition and Disposition of Real Estate by Corporate Executives: A Survey, Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, Vol. 4(3), pp. 67-80.
- Australia Government, 2003, Property Management Australian National Audit Office. Audit Report No.19 2003-04. Business Support Process Audit. Australia. Article source at http://www.anao.gov.au/~/media/Uploads/Documents/2003%2004_audit_report_19.pdf. 10 October 2013, 9.00 a.m.
- BALCH, W.F., 1994, The integrated approach to property and facilities management, Facilities, Vol. 12 No. 1, pp. 17-22.
- BECKER, G.S., 1964, Human Capital. New York: National Bureau of Economic Research.
- British Government, 2002, Government Service Delivery Risk Management Accounting Reporting Guidelines. Capital Asset Management Framework. Government of British. Article source at http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/tbs/camf_guidelines.pdf. 6 Jan. 2014, 4.43 pm.
- CHING, C. H., 1994, Property management in English local authorities: a corporate approach to the management of operational property, unpublished PhD thesis, University of Liverpool, Liverpool
- CHUA SJL, ALI AS, ALIAS AB., 2015, Implementation Of Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) Decision Making Framework For Building Maintenance Procurement Selection: Case Study Of Malaysian Public Universities, Eksploatacja i Niezawodnosc - Maintenance and Reliability, 17 (5): 7-18.
- COAKES, S. J. & STEED, L.G., 2003, SPSS Analysis without Anguish Version 11.0 for Windows, John Wiley & Sons Australia, Ltd.
- COX, H., 2008, The importance of property management. Article in Enzine Article. 12 March 2008. Article Source at http://EzineArticles.com/1041836.
- DE SILVA, N. AND RANASINGHE, M., 2010, Maintainability Risks of Condominiums in Sri Lanka, Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 41-60.
- DELANEY, J. T. AND HUSELID, M. A., 1996, The impact of human resource management practices on perceptions of organizational performance. The Academy of Management Journal, 39(4), pp. 949-969.
- EPLEY, D.R. AND RABIANSKI, J., 1981, Principle of Real Estate Decisions, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.
- GIBSON, V., 1994, Strategic Property Management - How Can Local Authorities Develop a Property Strategy. Property Management (UK), Vol. 12 No. 3, pp. 9-14.
- GIBLER, K.M., BLACK, R.T. AND MOON, K.P., 2002, Time, Place, Space, Technology and Corporate Real Estate Strategy, The Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol. 24, No. 3
- Government of United States of America, 2009, Readiness and emergency management for schools. U.S. Department of Education. United States of America. Article retrieved at http://rems.ed.gov/index.php?page=publications_Lessons_Learned. 6 November 2013, 7.30 p.m.
- ISRAEL, G. D., 1992, Sampling the Evidence of Extension Program Impact. Program Evaluation and Organizational Development, IFAS, University of Florida. PEOD-5. October.
- KAGANOVA, O., TIAN, V. AND UNDELAND, C., 2001, Learning How to Be Efficient Property Owners and Accountable Governments: The Case of Kyrgyzstan's Cities, Public Administration and Development, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 333-341.
- KISHK, M., POLLOCK, R., ATTA, J. AND POWER, L., 2005, A structured model for performance assessment in property management. Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction. Great Britain. Dec. 2005, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 159 - 169.
- KRUMM, P. T. M. M., 2001, History of real estate management from a corporate perspective. Facilities; Jul/Aug 2001; No. 19, 276.
- LATEEF, O.A., 2008, Building Maintenance Management in Malaysia. Journal of Building Appraisal. Universiti Islam Antarabangsa. Kuala Lumpur. Vol. 4 No. 3, pp. 207-214.
- LI, L.H., 1997, Property Management in China: Opportunities And Problem. Property Management. Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 6-11.
- LOW, G.T., 1999, Preparation of aspiring principals in Singapore: a partnership model, paper presented at the Conference on Professional Development of School Leaders, Centre for Educational Leadership, Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong.
- LYONS, M., 2004, Towards Better Management of Public Sector Assets: A Report to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Crown. Norwich. Dec. 2004.
- MABEL, C. C. C., 2002, Quality Property Management and Your Daily Life, First Regional Conference on Private Building Management. Hong Kong 2002. Article source at http://www.buildingmgt.gov.hk/file_manager/en/documents/18.pdf. 7 Feb. 2014, 3.35 a.m.
- Malaysian Government, 2009, Dasar pengurusan aset kerajaan. Malaysia. Article source at http://www.jmm.gov.my/files/DPAK%28Versi2023Mac2009%29.pdf. 24 Dec. 2013, 7.30 a.m.
- Malaysian Ministry of Education, 2011, Source at http://www.moe.gov.my/?id=45&act=division&cat=BPPA, 3 Apr. 2014, 10.50 a.m.
- MALE, S., 2007, Improving Property Asset Management in the Central Civil Government Estate. Organised by the Institution of Engineering and Technology Asset Management Network, University of Leeds, Stevenage, Herts SGI 2AY, UK. 9 October 2007. Article source at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=04450009.
- MANAF, A.B. AND MARZUKI, N.A., 2009, The Success of Malaysian Local Authorities: The Roles of Personality and Sharing Tacit Knowledge. International conference on administrative development: Towards excellence in public sector performance. King Faisal Hall, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Nov. 1-4, 2009
- MARKUS CHRISTEN, JULES SCHROEDER AND HOLGER WALLBAUM, 2014, Evaluation of Strategic Building Maintenance and Refurbishment Budgeting Method Schroeder, International Journal of Strategic Property Management, 18:4, 393-406.
- MARTINKO, M.J., HARVEY, P. AND DASBOROUGH, M.T., 2011, Attribution theory in the organizational sciences: A case of unrealized potential, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 32, 144-149.
- MAZIAH, I., 2001, FM practice in Malaysia: Where are We Heading? Facilities Management Seminar. Kuala Lumpur. 7 Apr. 2001.
- MCENROE, K., 2000, Relocation and Expansion: Using Processes and Information to Deliver Success, Journal of Corporate Real Estate, Vol. 3 No. 2, pp. 115-120.
- MUSIL, T.A., 2006, Critical Issues in Corporate Real Estate: Developing a Better Understanding of Public Sector Project Impact Analysis Practices, Journal of Corporate Real Estate, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 151 - 162.
- NUNALLY, J.C., 1978, Psychometric Theory. New York. McGraw Hill.
- PALLANT, J., 2005, A step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS for windows (Version 12), SPSS survival manual. 2nd ed. Australia: Allen & Unwin.
- PHELPS, A., 2011, Municipal property asset management - a comparative study of UK and Russia, International Journal of Strategic Property Management, 15:4, 416-437.
- RENNISON. B. W., 2007, Historical discourses of public management in Denmark: Past emergence and present challenge. Management & Organizational History. Sage Publications.Vol. 2(1): 5-26.
- REZANA, M. AND LIND, H., 2006, Real Estate Management in Swedish Public Sector - Focused Healthcare Real Estate in Stockholm County Council, Master of Science Thesis. Royal Institute of Technology Department of Real Estate and Construction Management Division of Building and Real Estate Economics. Sweden.
- ROCKART, J.F., 1982, The changing role of the information systems executive: a critical success factors perspective', Sloan Management Review, Vol. 23 No. 1, Fall, pp. 3-13.
- SCARRETT, D., 1983, Pengurusan Harta, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur, Translation - Ismail Omar (1993).
- SCHULTZ, T.W., 1971. Investments in Human Capital. New York, NY: Macmillan.
- SEKARAN, U., 1992, Research methods for Business a Skill Building Approach. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- SHAHRIR, A.S., 2007, Critical Issues in Managing Government's Assets & Facilities In Malaysia. National Asset and Facility Management. Malaysia
- SHARDY ABDULLAH AND ARMAN ABDUL RAZAK, 2008, The Development of Property Manager Competency Model: A Brief from Literature Review. Proceedings of the International Real Estate Research Symposium (IRERS) 2008. National Institute of Valuation. Kuala Lumpur. pp. 337-351
- SHARDY, A., ARMAN A.R., MOHD HANIZUN, H. AND MOHD NAJIB, S., 2011, Managing Government Property Assets: The Main Issues From the Malaysian Perspective. Journal of Techno-Social, ISSN 2229-8940 Vol. 3 No. 1 Apr. 2011.
- SIMONS, R.A., 1993, Public Real Estate Management - Adapting Corporate Practice to the Public Sector. The Journal of Real Estate Research, Fall 1993, pp. 639-653.
- SOMBOON, K., 2006, Human capital development in the international organization: rhetoric and reality, Journal of European Industrial Training, 30(9), pp. 721-734.
- SUMMERELL, R., 2005, Implications of real-property asset management, The CPA Journal, Vol. 75 No. 10.
- THABANE, L., MA, J., CHU, R., CHENG, J., ISMAILA, A., RIOS, L. P., et al., 2010, A tutorial on pilot studies: the what, why and how. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 10(1), 1. [PubMed]
- TREWIN, D., 2006, A Project Management Framework that has Worked for the ABS, In Project Management and Organisational Change. John Wanna (ed.). Canberra: ANU Press.
- Utusan Malaysia, (2007). Budaya Selenggara Aset. Utusan Malaysia Online - Rencana.htm, 13 August 2007. Article retrieved at http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2007&dt=0813&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Rencana&pg=re_01.htm. 25 Mar. 2014, 10.00 a.m.
- YIP, J. S. L., 2000, Quality service success - property management development to empowerment: a Hong Kong analysis. Journal of Structural Survey.Vol. 18. No. 4. pp. 148-154
- YOUNG, G.T., 2007, Federal Real Property Asset Management. Corporate Partner Advisory Group Research. AGA CPAG Research Series. America, Mar. 2007. No. 8.
- ZAILAN, M.I., 2001, The management of public property in Malaysia, paper presented at the International Conference FIG Working Week 2001, Seoul, 6-11 May.
- ZAILAN, M.I. AND MAZIAH, I., 2002, A review on performance measurement approaches in property management, paper presented at the International Real Estate Research Symposium (IRERS) 2002, Kuala Lumpur.
- ZAITON, A., STANLEY, M., ALASTAIR, A. AND JAMES R. W., 2008, Corporate Real Estate Strategy: A Conceptual Overview. Journal of Real Estate Literature, 16(1): 3-22.