Quid pro Quo: Dependent Relative Revocation and Quixotic Military Dis-encirclement
International agreements and legitimate expectations must be clear, must be enforced. Unless an international agreement is enforced punctiliously, it is a sham. Agreements that the West and most of the rest of the world believed governed the boundaries of the Ukrainian Republic seem to have been ignored, at least from 2014, particularly by the Russian Federation with impunity. So also does the Sino-British Joint Declaration that governs legitimate expectations of the people of Hong Kong following its "turn over" or "return" to China seem to be in the process of becoming ignored. Changes in life at every turn must be foreseen. Each action provokes reaction. In the relations of nations, a "quid pro quo" is a legitimate expectation in the 21st century. From the Doctrine of Dependent Relative Revocation (DRR) we may justify the substitution or even the withdrawal of terms and conditions pertinent to any given agreement when parties thereto have relied to their detriment in performing their own duties without reciprocation. This argument applies to Hong Kong and Ukraine and to other locations worldwide. If it is necessary or expedient for the Russian Federation to invade and occupy the Crimean Peninsula or other regions of Eastern Ukraine, it is equally necessary and desirable to return Königsberg to Germany and Western Ukraine to Poland. If it is undesirable for China to honor in principle the legitimate expectation of the Hong Kong citizenry to universal suffrage with full and fair election of their chief executive, then Hong Kong Island and Kowloon that were ceded to Great Britain in perpetuity should be returned to the United Kingdom, especially if this is the wish of the people of Hong Kong expressed in an internationally supervised election much as the United Kingdom offered recently to Scotland but failed to provide to Hong Kong.(fragment of text)
- P. Mozur, J.T. Areddy, Y. Jie, Canal Champion turns Eye to Ukraine, "The Wall Street Journal", 06 Dec. 2013, http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/12/06/canalchampion-turns-eye-to-ukraine/.
- M. Weissenstein, L.M. Galeano, Spotty Record for Chinese Exec with Canal Dream, "Associated Press", 31 Aug. 2013, http://bigstory.ap.org/article/spotty-record-chineseexec- canal-dream.
- M. Snytkova, China Breathes Fire on Ukraine's Crimea, "Pravda", 10 Dec. 2013, http://english.pravda.ru/business/companies/10-12-2013/126346-china_ukraine_ crimea-0/.
- K. Osborn, US Navy Issues Warnings on Russia, China's Submarine Fleets, "Military.com News", 20 Sep. 2014, http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/09/20/us-navy-issueswarnings- on-russia-chinas-submarine-fleets.html?comp=7000023317843&rank=1.
- G.A. Arbatov, Cold War. Session 1, Episode 16, "Détente: 1969-1975", Atlanta 1998. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/38048168/CNN-THE-COLD-WAR-EPISODE- 16---Detent .
- G.A. Arbatov, The System: An Insider's Life in Soviet Politics, New York 1993.
- J. Queally, U.S., Canadian Fighter Jets Intercept Russian Aircraft, "Los Angeles Times", 19 Sep. 2014 http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-fighterjets-intercept-russian-aircraft-20140919-story.html.
- M.D. Nazemroaya, Military Encirclement and Global Domination: Russia Counters US Missile Shield from the Seas, "Global Research", 04 Nov. 2012, http://www. globalresearch.ca/russia-counters-the-us-missile-shield-from-the-seas/5310516.
- A.M. Dobie, Dependent Relative Revocation of Wills: The Doctrine and Its Limits, "Virginia Law Review" 1915, vol. 2, no. 5, p. 327-337. Feb.
- J. Dukeminier, R.H. Sitkoff, J.M. Lindgren, S.M. Johanson, Wills, Trusts and Estates, New York 2005, p. 259.
- V.G. Butkevych, Who Has a Right to Crimea? Khrushchev's 'Gift': The Truth Behind the Calculation, "Infoukes.com.", 1992, http://infoukes.com/history/crimea/page-12.html.
- N. Belitser, Indigenous Status" for the Crimean Tatars in Ukraine: A History of a Political Debate, Washington 2002, http://www.iccrimea.org/scholarly/indigenous. html.
- W. Craig, Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad, New York 1973.
- R. Appleman, Escaping the Trap: The US Army X Corps in Northeast Korea, 1950, Texas A&M University Military History Series, vol. 72, College Station, Texas 1990, p. 223.
- A. Palmer, The Decline and Fall of the Ottoman Empire, New York 1992.
- R.D. Sawyer, The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China, New York 2007, p. 147-150, 423.
- Ch. Harress, Russian Deputy Prime Minister: US Defenses Can't Stop Our Nukes Anymore, "Business Insider", 27 Jan. 2015, http://www.businessinsider.com/russiandeputy- pm-us-defenses-cant-stop-nukes-2015-1.
- K. Calamur, Crimea: A Gift To Ukraine Becomes A Political Flash Point, "National Public Radio (NPR) Parallels", 27 Feb. 2014, http://www.npr.org/blogs/
- N. Khrushcheva, For Moscow, Ukraine is always 'Little Russia', "Reuters", 20 Feb. 2014, http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2014/02/20/playing-the-ukrainian-card/.
- N. Khrushcheva interviewed by D. Greene, The Lost Khrushchev: A Journey into the Gulag of the Russian Mind, "National Public Radio (NPR)" 2014.
- K. Bradsher, P. Mozur, China Clamps Down on Web, Pinching Companies Like Google, "The New York Times" 21 Sep. 2014, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/ business/international/china-clamps-down-on-web-pinching-companies-likegoogle. html?partner=yahoofi nance&_r=1.
- S. Hoe, D. Roebuck, The Taking of Hong Kong: Charles and Clara Elliot in China Waters, London 1999, p. 203.
- K. Tso, The Legal Implications of the Sino-British Treaties Regarding Hong Kong, "Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review" 1981, vol. 4, p. 111-136.
- S.M. Meng, The Tsungli Yamen: Its Organization and Functions, Cambridge 1962.
- W.H. Liu, Britain's China Policy, "China Report" 1978, vol. 14, no. 5-6, p. 47-56.
- F. Ching, Will Hong Kong See China Deliver Its Promises?, "The Nation" 12 Sep. 2014, http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Will-Hong-Kong-see-Chinadeliver- its-promises-30243051.html.
- M. Badkar, Here's Why China Isn't Ready to Send its Military into Hong Kong, "Business Insider Australia" 04 Jul. 2014, http://www.businessinsider.com.au/ chinese-military-intervention-in-hong-kong-2014-7.
- C. Baldwin, J.F. Pomfret, Hong Kong Students Boycott Class to Protest China Curbs on Democracy, "Reuters" 20 Sep. 2014, http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/20/ us-hongkong-china-idUSKBN0HF0MR20140920.