Using Computer Simulation Method to Improve Throughput of Production Systems by Buffers and Workers Allocation
This paper proposes the application of computer simulation methods to support decision making regarding intermediate buffer allocations in a series-parallel production line. The simulation model of the production system is based on a real example of a manufacturing company working in the automotive industry. Simulation experiments were conducted for different allocations of buffer capacities and different numbers of employees. The production system consists of three technological operations with intermediate buffers between each operation. The technological operations are carried out using machines and every machine can be operated by one worker. Multi-work in the production system is available (one operator operates several machines). On the basis of the simulation experiments, the relationship between system throughput, buffer allocation and the number of employees is analyzed. Increasing the buffer capacity results in an increase in the average product lifespan. Therefore, in the article a new index is proposed that includes the throughput of the manufacturing system and product life span. Simulation experiments were performed for different configurations of technological operations. (original abstract)
-  Battini D., Persona A., Regattieri A., Buffer size design linked to reliability performance: A simulative study, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 56, 1633-1641, 2009.
-  Demir L., Tunali S., Eliiyi D.T., The state of thee art on buffer allocation problem: a comprehensive sur-^vey, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 25, 371- 392, 2014.
-  Nahas N., Ait-Kadi D., Nourelfath M., Selecting machines and buffers in unreliable series-parallel production lines, International Journal of Production Research, 47 (14), 3741-74, 2009.
-  Gurkan G., Simulation optimization of buffer allocations in production lines with unreliable machines, Annals of Operations Research, 93, 177-216, 2000.
-  Wei K.C., Tsao Q.Q., Otto N.C., Determining buffer size requirements using stochastic approximation methods, Technical Report SR-89-73, Ford Motor Company, 1989.
-  Dallery Y., Gershwin S.B., Manufacturing flow line systems: a review of models and analytical results, Queueing Systems: Theory and Applications, 12, 394, 1992.
-  Vidalis M.I., Papadopoulos C.T., Heavey C., On the workload and 'phase load' allocation problems of short reliable production line with finite buffers, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 48, 825-837, 2005.
-  Staley D.R., Kim D.S., Experimental results for the allocation of buffers in closed serial production lines, International Journal of Production Economics, 137, 284-291, 2012.
-  Vergara H.A., Kim D.S., A new method for the placement of buffers in serial production lines, International Journal of Production Research, 47, 4437-4456, 2009.
-  Yamashita H., Altiok T., Buffer capacity allocation for a desired throughput in production lines, IIE Transactions, 30, 883-891, 1998.
-  Shi C., Gershwin S.B., An efficient buffer design algorithm for production line profit maximization, International Journal of Production Economics, 122, 725-40, 2009.
-  Joseph O.A., Sridharan R., Simulation modeling and analysis of routing flexibility of a flexible manufacturing system, International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, 8 (1), 61-82, 2011.