Analyzing Sustainable Competitive Advantage : Strategically Managing Resource Allocations to Achieve Operational Competitiveness
In today's dynamic business environment, a key challenge for all companies is to make adaptive adjustments to their manufacturing strategy. This study demonstrates the competitive priorities of manufacturing strategy in hydro-power case company to evaluate the level of sustainable competitive advantage and also to further analyze how business strategies are aligned with manufacturing strategies. This research is based on new holistic analytical evaluation of manufacturing strategy index, sense and respond, and sustainable competitive advantage models. These models help to describe, evaluate, and optimize resource allocation to meet the performance requirements in dynamic decision making. Furthermore, these models evaluate operational competitiveness for manufacturing strategies according to the multi-criteria priority. The results show that the adjustments of competitive priorities in manufacturing strategies by implementing the proposed holistic analytical models are helpful in strategically managing business operations. The discussion derives the most critical attributes in business operations while alignment of resource allocation with competitive priorities help to strategically focus those attributes. In conclusion, we argue that resource allocation and manufacturing strategies have become the most important capabilities in a business environment where companies focus to get a sustainable competitive advantage. (original abstract)
- Tun Hussein Onn University of Malaysia, Malaysia; University of Vaasa, Finland
- University of Vaasa, Finlandia
- University of Vaasa, Finlandia
- University of Primorska, Slovenia
- University of Primorska, Slovenia
- University of Vaasa, Finlandia
-  Kim J.S., Arnold P., Operationalizing manufacturing strategy: An exploratory study of constructs and linkage, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 16 (12), 45-73, 1996.
-  Karger C.R., Hennings W., Sustainability evaluation of decentralized electricity generation, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 13 (3), 583593, 2009.
-  Fraser P., Distributed generation in liberalised electricity markets, International Symposium on Distributed Generation: Power System and Market Aspects, pp. 1G-12, 2002.
-  Si S., Liu Y., Takala J., Sun S., Benchmarking and developing the operational competitiveness of Chinese state- owned manufacturing enterprises in a global context, International Journal of Innovation and Learning, 7 (2), 202- 222, 2010.
-  Boyer K.K., Pagell M., Measurement issues in empirical research?: improving measures of operations strategy and advanced manufacturing technology, Journal of Operations Management, 18 (3), 361374, 2000.
-  Christiansen T., Berry W.L., Bruun P., Ward P., A mapping of competitive priorities, manufacturing practices, and operational performance in groups of Danish manufacturing companies, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 23 (10), 1163-1183, 2003.
-  Dangayach G.S., Deshmukh S.G., Practice of manufacturing strategy: Evidence from select Indian automobile companies, International Journal of Production Research, 39 (11), 2353-2393, 2001.
-  Williams F.P., D'Souza D.E., Rosenfeldt M.E., Kassaee M., Manufacturing strategy, business strategy and firm performance in a mature industry, Journal of Operations Management, 13 (1), 19-33, 1995.
-  Jabbour C.J.C., Maria da Silva E., Paiva E.L., Almada Santos F.C., Environmental management in Brazil: is it a completely competitive priority?, Journal of Cleaner Production, 21 (1), 11-22, 2012.
-  Takala J., Kamdee T., Hirvela J., Kyllonen S., Analytic calculation of global operative competitiveness, IAMOT International Conference on Management of Technology, Management of Technology for Service Economy, IAMOT 2007.
-  Wernerfelt B., A resource-based view of the firm, Strategic Management Journal, 5 (2), 171-180, 1984.
-  Miles R.E., Snow C.C., Organizational strategy, structure, and process, McGraw-Hill, 1978.
-  Filippini M., Hrovatin N., Zoric J., Efficiency and regulation of the Slovenian electricity distribution companies, Energy Policy, 32 (3), 335-344, 2004.
-  Papler D., Bojnec S., Electricity supply management for enterprises in Slovenia, International Journal of Management and Enterprise Development, 4 (4), 403-414, 2007.
-  Bojnec S., Papler D., Renewable sources of energy: hydro-electricity in Slovenia, Tehnicki Vjesnik, 19 (4), 2012.
-  Takala J., Liu Y., Feng B., Yang W., Analytical Evaluation of Sustainable Competitive Advantage, Manufacturing Modelling, Management, and Control, 7 (1), 1240-1243, 2013.
-  Takala J., Shylina D., Forss T., Malmi J., Study on resource allocations for sustainable competitive advantage, Management and Production Engineering Review, 4 (3), 65-75, 2013.
-  Takala J., Shylina D., Tilabi S., How to Apply Sustainable Competitive Advantage for Regional Developments (Case: Ostrobothnia Region of Finland), Management and Production Engineering Review, 5 (2), 66-77, 2014.
-  Liu Y., Sustainable competitive advantage in turbulent business environments, International Journal of Production Research, 51 (10), 2821-2841, 2013.
-  Si S., Takala J., Liu Y., Competitiveness of Chinese high-tech manufacturing companies in global context, Industrial Management & Data Systems, 109 (3), 404- 424, 2009.
-  Barney J., Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage, Journal of Management, 17 (1), 99-120, 1991.
-  Barney J.B., Resource-based theories of competitive advantage: A ten-year retrospective on the resource-based view, Journal of Management, 27 (6), 643-650, 2001.
-  Santoyo-Castelazo E., Azapagic A., Sustainabili-ty assessment of energy systems: Integrating environmental, economic and social aspects, Journal of Cleaner Production, 80, 119-138, 2014.
-  Ansoff H.I., Corporate strategy: an analytic approach to business policy for growth and expansion, New York: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 1965.
-  Porter M.E., The Competitive Advantage of Nations, New York: The Free Press, 1990.
-  Porter M.E., What Is Strategy?, Harvard Business Review, 74 (6), 61-78, 1996.
-  Boyer K.K., Lewis M.W., Competitive Priorities: Investigating the Need for Trade-Offs in Operations Strategy, Production and Operations Management, 11 (1), 9-20, 2002.
-  Leong G.K., Snyder D.L., Ward P.T., Research in the process and content of manufacturing strategy, Omega, 18 (2), 109-122, 1990.
-  Ward P., Configurations of manufacturing strategy, business strategy, environment and structure, Journal of Management, 22 (4), 597-626, 1996.
-  Zhang X., Shen L., Wu Y., Green strategy for gaining competitive advantage in housing development: a China study, Journal of Cleaner Production, 19 (2), 157-167, 2011.
-  Grant R.M., Contemporary Strategy Analysis, Maiden: Blackwell Publishing, 2005.
-  Takala J., Hirvelä J., Liu Y., Malindzak D., Global manufacturing strategies require "dynamic engineers"?: Case study in Finnish Industries, Industrial Management & Data Systems, 107 (3), 326-344, 2007.
-  Mintzberg H., Ahlstrand B., Lampel J., Strategy safari: a guided tour through the wilds of strategic management, Free Press, New York, NY, 10020, 1998.
-  Van Bommel H., A conceptual framework for analyzing sustainability strategies in industrial supply networks from an innovation perspective, Journal of Cleaner Production, 19 (8), 895-904, 2011.
-  Seuring S., Muäller M., From a literature review to a conceptual framework for sustainable supply chain management, Journal of cleaner production, 16 (15), 1699-1710, 2008.
-  Kleindorfer P.R., Singhal K., Wassenhove L.N., Sustainable operations management, Production and Operations Management, 14 (4), 482-492, 2005.
-  Liu Y., Takala J., Modelling and evaluation of operational competitiveness of manufacturing enterprises, Quality Innovation Prosperity, 13 (2), 1-19, 2009.
-  Liu Y., Liang L., Evaluating and developing resource-based operations strategy for competitive advantage: an exploratory study of Finnish high-tech manufacturing industries, International Journal of Production Research, 53 (4), 1019- 1037, 2015.
-  Haeckel S.H., From "make and sell" to "sense and respond", Management Review, 81 (10), 3-9, 1992.
-  Bradley S.P., Nolan R.L., Sense and Respond: Capturing Value in the Network Era, Harvard Business School Press, 1998.
-  Markides C., All the right moves: a guide to crafting breakthrough strategy, Harvard Business Press, 2000.
-  Liu Y., Takala J., Operations strategy optimization based on developed sense and respond methodology, Journal on Innovation and Sustainability, RISUS ISSN 2179-3565, 3 (1), 2012.
-  Ranta J.M., Takala J., A holistic method for finding out critical features of industry maintenance services, International Journal of Services and Standards, 3 (3), 312-325, 2007.
-  Nadler D., Takala J., The development of the CFI method to measure the performance of business processes based on real life expectations and experiences, International Conference on Innovation and Management, ICIM2010, December, pp. 4-5, 2010.
-  Porter M.E., Competitive strategy: Techniques for analyzing industries and competitors, New York, Free Press, 1980.
-  Porter M.E., Competitive advantage: creating and sustaining superior performance, The Free Press, NY, 1985.
-  Peters T.J., Waterman R.H., In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies, New York: Harper & Row, 1982.
-  Peters T.J., The Little Big Things: 163 Ways too Pursue Excellence, New York: HarperCollins, 2010.
-  Hayes R.H., Wheelwright S.C., Restoring Our Competitive Edge: Competing Through Manufacturing, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1984.
-  Hayes R.H., Wheelwright S.C., Clark K.B., Dynamic Manufacturing: Creating the Learning Organization, New York: Free Press, 1988.
-  Avella L., Fernandez E., Vazquez C.J., Analysis of manufacturing strategy as an explanatory factor of competitiveness in the large Spanish industrial firm, International Journal of Production Economics, 72 (2), 139-157, 2001.
-  Barney J., Wright M., Ketchen D.J., The resource-based view of the firm: Ten years after 1991, Journal of Management, 27 (6), 625- 641, 2001.
-  Liu Y., Implementing Sustainable Competitive Advantage for Proactive Operations in Global Turbulent Business Environments, University of Vaasa, Department of Production, 2010.
-  Day G.S., Wensley R., Assessing advantage: a framework for diagnosing competitive superiority, The Journal of Marketing, 52 (2), 1- 20, 1988.
-  Grant R.M., Analyzing resources and capabilities, In R.M. Grant [Ed.], Contemporary Strategy Analysis: Concepts, Techniques, Applications, Malden: Blackwell, pp. 93-122, 1991.
-  Hall R., A framework linking intangible resources and capabilities to sustainable competitive advantage, Strategic Management Journal, 14 (8), 607618, 1993.
-  Fiol C.M., Revisiting an identity-based view of sustainable competitive advantage, Journal of Management, 27 (6), 691-699, 2001.
-  Fahy J., A resource-based analysis of sustainable competitive advantage in a global environment, International Business Review, 11 (1), 57-77, 2002.
-  Lubit R., The keys to sustainable competitive advantage: Tacit knowledge and knowledge management, Organizational Dynamics, 29 (3), 164-178, 2002.
-  Johannessen J.A., Olsen B., Knowledge management and sustainable competitive advantages: The impact of dynamic contextual training, International Journal of Information Management, 23 (4), 277289, 2003.
-  Ren L., Xie G., Krabbendam K., Sustainable competitive advantage and marketing innovation within firms: A pragmatic approach for Chinese firms, Management Research Review, 33 (1), 79-89, 2009.
-  Toor S.U.R., Ofori G., Positive psychological capital as a source of sustainable competitive advantage for^organizations, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 136 (3), 341-352, 2009.
-  Hosnar J., Kovac-Kralj A., Mathematical modelling and MINLP programming of a hydro system for power generation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 65, 194-201, 2014.
-  Kasanen E., Lukka K., The constructive approach in management accounting research, Journal of Management Accounting Research, (5), 243-264, 1993.
-  Piirainen K.A., Gonzalez R.A., Constructive Synergy in Design Science Research: A Comparative Analysis of Design Science Research and the Constructive Research Approach, Liiketaloudellinen Aikakauskirja, (3-4), 206-234, 2014.
-  Vuoti V.P., Takala J., Mantyla A., Liu Y., Yang W., Malek N.A.B.A., Zafar A., Validating performance based critical actions in a high tech start-up, Proceedings of 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management (pp. 109-124), Phuket, Thailand: Technology Innovation and Industrial Management 2014.
-  Maylor H., Turner N., Murray-Webster R., It worked for manufacturing. . . !: Operations strategy in project-based operations, International Journal of Project Management, In Press, 2014.