The Office for National Statistics Experience of Collecting and Measuring Subjective Well-Being
The UK Office for National Statistics (ONS) started measuring subjective well-being in 2011 as part of the ONS Measuring National Well-being programme. The aim of the Measuring National Well-being programme is to measure the quality of life and progress of the UK. This article explores the development of the ONS subjective well-being measures, data collection methods, data presentational considerations, overview of findings, and latest developments. It discusses the way in which user engagement has been key to the development of the ONS subjective well-being statistics. (original abstract)
- AKED, J., MARKS, N., CORDON, C., THOMPSON, S., (2008). Five ways to well-being: The evidence. A report presented to the Foresight Project on communicating the evidence base for improving people's wellbeing. London: The New Economics Foundation (NEF). Available at: http://www.neweconomics.org/publications/five-ways-well-being-evidence. 84 S. Hicks et al.
- ALLIN, P., (2014). Measuring Wellbeing in Modern Societies. In P.Y.Chen and C.L. Cooper (eds.) Work and Wellbeing: Wellbeing: A Complete Reference Guide, Volume III. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 409-465.
- CAMERON, D., Prime Minister of the UK, (2010). 25 November. Prime Minister Speech on Well-being. Available at: http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/pm-speech-on-well- being.
- CLERC, M., GAINI, M., BLANCHET, D., (2010). Recommendations of the Stiglitz-Sen-Fitoussi Report: A few illustrations, L'e'conomie franc,aise-2010 edition, Insee, Available as pdf at http://www.insee.fr/en/publications-et- services/default.asp?page=dossiers_web/stiglitz/performance_eco.htm.
- Commission, European, (2009). GDP and beyond: Measuring progress in a changing world. Luxembourg: European Commission.
- DEATON, A., (2011). The financial crisis and the well-being of Americans, Oxford Economic Papers, May 2011, 1-26 OEP Hicks Lecture (November 2011). Available at: http://www.princeton.edu/*deaton/papers.html.
- DIENER, E., (1994). Assessing subjective well-being: Progress and opportunities. Social Indicators Research, 31, 103-157.
- DIENER, E., (2005). Guidelines for national indicators of subjective well-being and ill-being, December 2005, Available at:http://internal.psychology.illinois.edu/*ediener/Documents/Guidelines_for_N ational_Indicators.pdf.
- DOLAN, P., LEYARD, R. Notes on the measurement of well-being. Available at www.ons.gov.uk/wellbeing/technical-advisory-group/notes-on-the- measurement-of-well-being-11 -april-2011.pdf.
- DOLAN, P., WHITE, M. P., (2007). How can measures of Subjective well-being be used to inform public policy? Perspectives on Psychological Science, 2, 71-85.
- DOLAN, P., METCALF, R., (2011). Comparing measures of subjective well-being and views about the role they should play in policy: Office for National Statistics.
- DOLAN, P., LAYARD, R., METCALF, R., (2011). Measuring subjective wellbeing for public policy; recommendations on measures: Special paper No. 23. Centre for Economic Performance. Available at: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/special/cepsp23.pdf.
- DOLAN, P., PEASGOOD, T., WHITE, M. P., (2006). Review of research on the influences on personal well-being and application to policy making. London: DEFRA Publications.
- DOLAN, P., PEASGOOD, T., WHITE, M., (2008). Do we really know what makes us happy? A review of the economic literature on the factors associated with subjective well-being. Journal of Economic Psychology, 29, 94-122.
- DONOVAN, N., HALPERN, D., (2002). Life satisfaction: The state of knowledge and implications for Government. London: Prime Minister's Strategy Unit.
- FRANCIS, P., TIWANA, H., (2004). Unpaid household production in the United Kingdom, 1995-2000. Available at:http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/elmr/economic-trends-discontinued-/no-602-j anuary-2004/unpaid-household-production-in-the -uk- 1995-2000.pdf.
- FUJIWARA, D., CAMPBELL, R., (2011). Valuation techniques for social cost-benefit analysis: Stated preference, revealed preference and subjective well-being approaches. Available at: http://www.hm-treasury.gov. uk/d/green_book_valuationtechniques_250711.pdf.
- GOV.UK., (2014). New what works centre for well-being: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-what-works-centre-for-wellbeing.
- HALPERN, D., (2010). The Hidden Wealth of Nations. Polity Press.
- HARSANYI, J. C., (1982). Morality and the theory of rational behaviour. In A. Sen & B. Williams (Eds.), Utilitarianism and beyond, pp. 39-63, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- HELLIWELL, J. F., (2003). How's life? Combining individual and national variables to explain Subjective wellbeing. Economic Modelling, 20, 331-360.
- HELLIWELL, J. F., BARRINGTON-LEIGH, C. P., (2008). Measuring and Understanding Subjective well-being. NBER Working Paper Series, 15887.
- HELLIWELL, J. F., (2011). How can subjective well-being be improved? In F. Gorbet, & A. Sharpe (Ed.) New directions for intelligent government in Canada: Papers in Honour of Ian Stewart, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, pp. 283- 304, 2011. Available at: http://ideas.repec.org/h/sls/ndphis/12.html.
- HICKS, S., (2011a). Spotlight on: Subjective well- being: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/social-trends-rd/social- trends/spotlight-on-subjective-well-being/index.html.
- HICKS, S., (2011b). The measurement of subjective well-being; Paper for Measuring National Well-being.
- Technical Advisory Group [pdf]. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide -method/user-guidance/well-being/advisory-groups/well-being-technical-advisory- group/index.html. Adapted from: Dolan, Layard & Matcalfe, 2011 and Smith, 2011. OECD, unpublished.
- HICKS, S., TINKLER, L., (2011). Draft Testing and Development plan for Subjective well-being questions on ONS Surveys. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: www.ons.gov.uk/well-being/technical-advisory-group/draft-testing-anddevelopment-plan-11 -april- 2011.pdf.
- HICKS, S. TINKLER, L. ALLIN, P., (2013). Measuring Subjective Well-being and its potential role in policy: Perspectives from the UK Office for National Statistics. Newport: Office for National Statistics.
- INGLEHART, R., FOA, R., PETERSON, C., WELZEL, C., (2008). Development, freedom, and rising happiness. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 3, 264-285. Available at: http://pps.sagepub.com/content/3/4/264.
- KAHNEMAN, D., KRUEGER, A., (2006). Developments in the measurement of Subjective well-being. Available at www.krueger.princeton.edu/PDF of Kahneman Krueger paper.pdf.
- KAHNEMAN, D., KRUEGER, A. B., SCHKADE, D. A., SCHWARZ, N., STONE, A. A., (2004). A Survey Method for Characterizing Daily Life Experience: The Day Reconstruction Method. Science, 306, 1776-1780.
- LAYARD, R. ,(2005). Happiness: Lessons from a new science. London: Penguin.
- NEF, (2008). Five ways to well-being. Available at:www.neweconomics.org/publications/five-ways-to- wellbeing.
- NEF, (2011). 'Measuring our progress' Available at:www.neweconomics.org/publications/measuring-our-progress.
- NISSEL, M., (1970). Social trends, Vol. No. 1, Central Statistics Office, Her Majesty's Stationary Office.
- OECD, (2011). Better life initiative: Measuring well-being and progress. Paris: OECD.
- ONS, (2011a). Measuring what matters; National statistician's reflections on the national debate on measuring national well-being. London: Office for National Statistics.
- ONS, (2011b). Initial investigation into subjective well-being from the opinions survey. Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-subjective-wellbeing-inthe-uk/investigation-of-subjective-well-being- data-from-the-ons-opinions-survey/index.html.
- ONS, (2011c). Subjective well-being: A qualitative investigation of subjective well-being questions. December 2011.
- A working paper for the measuring national well-being advisory group. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/user-guidance/well-being/advisory-groups/well-being-technical- advisory-group/index.html.
- ONS, (2012a). Analysis of experimental subjective well-being data from the annual population survey, April to September 2011. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at:http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-subjective-wellbeing-in-the-uk/analysis-of-experimental-subjective- well-beingdata-from-the-annual-population-survey-april-september-2011/index.html.
- ONS, (2012b). First ONS annual experimental subjective well-being results. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-subjective-wellbeing-in-the-uk/firstannual-ons-experimental-subjective- well-being-results/index.html.
- ONS, (2012c). Summary of results from testing of experimental Subjective Well-being questions [PDF]. Newport: Office for National Statistics.
- ONS, (2013a). Measuring Subjective Well-being in the UK, Differences in Well-being by Ethnicity. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-subjective-wellbeing-in-the-uk/differences-in-well-being-by- ethnicity/index.html.
- ONS, (2013b). Measuring National Well-being, What matters most to Personal Well-being? Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-national-well-being/what- matters-most-to-personal-well-being-in-the-uk-/index.html.
- ONS, (2013c). Measuring National Well-being, Personal Well- being in the UK, 2012/13. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-national-well-being/personal-well-being-in-the-uk-2012- 13/index.html.
- ONS, (2013d). Measuring National Well-being, Personal Well-being Across the UK, 2012/13. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-national-well-being/personal- well-being-across-the-uk-2012-13/index.html.
- ONS, (2014a). Measuring National Well-being, Commuting and Personal Well- being, 2014. Newport: Office for National Statistics.Available at http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring- national-well-being/commuting-and-personal-well-being-2014/index.html.
- ONS, (2014b). Measuring National Well-being, Income, Expenditure and Personal Well-being, 2011/2012.Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-national-well- being/income-expenditure-and-personal-well- being/index.html.
- ONS, (2014c). Exploring Personal Well-being and Place. Titchfield: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/regional-trends/regional-economic-analysis/exploring-personal-well-being-and- place-in-the-uk/index.html.
- ONS, (2014d). Insights across society, the Economy and the Environment, Reflections on Measuring National Well-being, July 2014. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at:http://www.ons .gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-national-well-being/reflections-on-measuring-national-well-being-may- 2014/index.html.
- ONS, (2014e). Measuring National Well-being, Personal Well-being in the UK, 2013/14. Newport: Office for National Statistics.Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring-national-well-being/personal-well- being-in-the-uk-2013-14/index.html.
- ONS, (2014f). Measuring National Well-being, Exploring the Well-being of Children in the UK, 2014. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at:http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/wellbeing/measuring- national-well-being/exploring-the-well-being-of-children-in-the-uk-2014/index.html.
- PUDNEY, S., (2010). An experimental analysis of the impact of survey design on measures and models of subjective well-being. Institute for Social and Economic Research University of Essex. Available at: www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/working-papers/iser/2010-20.pdf.
- RYFF, C. D., (1989). Happiness is everything, or is it? Explorations on the meaning of psychological wellbeing. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 1069-1081.
- SCHWARZ, N., STRACK, F., KOMMER, D., WAGNER, D., (1987). Soccer, rooms and the quality of your life: Mood effects on judgements of satisfaction with life in general and with specific life - domains. European Journal of Social Psychology, 17, 69-79.
- SEN, A., (1999). Development as freedom. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- SNAPE, D., (2014). UK's Methodological approach to measuring personal well-being. Newport: Office for National Statistics.
- STEVENSON, B., WOLFERS, J., (2008). Economic Growth and Subjective Well-being: Reassessing the Easterlin Paradox NBER Working Papers 14282. National Bureau of Economic Research.
- STIGLITZ, J. E., SEN, A., FITOUSSI, J. P., (2009). Report by the commission on the measurement of economic performance and social progress. Available at: http://www.stiglitz-sen-fitoussi.fr/documents/rapport_anglais.pdf.
- The Government Office for Science, (2008). Foresight mental capital and wellbeing project. Final project report. London. Available at: Mental Capital and Wellbeing: Making the most of ourselves in the 21st century, 2008.
- TINKLER, L., HICKS, S., (2011). Measuring subjective well-being. Newport: Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/index.html.
- WALDRON, S., (2010). Measuring subjective wellbeing in the UK. Office for National Statistics. Available at: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/article.asp?ID=2578.
- UK Statistics Authority. Producer handbook for the assessment process. Newport: UK Statistics Authority. Available at:http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/assessment/assessment/guidance -about-assessment/producer-handbook-for-the- assessment-process.html