The Influence of Environmental Factors on Property Buyers' Choice of Residential Location in Poland
The main aim of this study was to identify the factors responsible for Polish property buyers' choice of residential location, including single-family houses and apartments. The following thesis was formulated: analysis of consumers' residential preferences based on their personal experience supports a more reliable evaluation of individual attributes of a residential location. This paper overviews the existing literature on the subject and analyzes primary data. collected by the computer-assisted web-interviewing (CAWI) method. The questionnaire developed by the authors was completed by 269 residents of three Polish regions. The respondents evaluated the quality of their residential environment and identified environmental factors that could influence their health. The data were processed statistically to reveal that price is the most important factor behind the residential location choice. Other factors identified by the respondents included the sense of security and a quiet neighborhood. High scenic value was regarded as a moderately important factor, although its significance was recognized by the majority of the respondents. (original abstract)
- Adriaanse, C.C.M. (2007), Measuring residential satisfaction: a residential environmental satisfaction scale (RESS), J Housing Built Environ, No 22, pp. 287-304.
- Alkay, E. (2009), The relationship between environmental quality level and housing sale prices in the Istanbul Metropolitan Area, A/Z ITU Journal of the Faculty of Architecture, Vol. 6, No 1, pp. 60-76.
- Andersson, H., Jonsson, L., Ögren, M. (2010), Property Prices and Exposure to Multiple Noise Sources: Hedonic Regression with Road and Railway Noise, Environmental Resource Economic Springer Science, No 45, pp. 73-89.
- Cellmer, R., Senetra, A., Szczepańska, A. (2012), The Effect of Environmental Factors on Property Value, (paper presented at the FIG Working Week 2012 TS06H - Valuation - Environmental Factors 5748, Rome, Italy), www.fig.net (access 2014.03.25),
- Cellmer R., Źróbek, S. (2011), Applying GIS tools to studies over the impact of noise pollution on house prices, in: The Future with GIS, Zagreb Croatia, pp. 245-256.
- Chiesura, A. (2004), The role of urban parks for the sustainable city, Landscape and Urban Planning, No 68, pp. 129-138.
- Fadden, D.Mc. (1997), Modeling the Choice of Residential Location, in: The Economics of Housing ,vol. 1, London.
- Hall, F.L., Breston, B., Taylor, S. (1978), Effects of highway noise on residential property, Values Transport Res Rec., No 686, pp. 38-43.
- Huderek-Glapska S., Trojanek, R. (2013), The Impact Of Aircraft Noise On House Prices, International Journal of Academic Research, Vol. 5, No 3, pp. 397-408.
- Kempa, O., Krajewska, M., Palicki, S., Rącka, I., Wójta-Kempa, M. (2015), Students Preferences on Housing Market in Polish Cities, Real Estate Management and Valuation, vol. 22, No 1, pp. 90-102.
- Lake, I.R., Lovett, A.A., Bateman, I.J., Langford, I.H. (1998), Modelling environmental infl uences on property prices in an urban environment, Comput. Environ. and Urban Systems, Vol. 22, No 2, pp. 121-136.
- Maantay, J.A., McLafferty, S. (Eds.) (2011), Geospatial Analysis of Environmental Health, Series: Geotechnologies and the Environment, Vol. 4, No 14, (Springer).
- Mitkus, S., Šostak, O.R. (2009), Preservation of healthy and harmonious residential and work environment during urban development, International Journal of Strategic Property Management, Vol 13, No 4, pp. 339-357.
- Nelson, T., Rabianski, J. (1988). Consumer Preferences in Housing Market Analysis, in: An Application of Multidimensional Scaling Techniques. AREKEA Journal, Vol.16, No 2, pp. 46-64.
- Renigier-Biłozor. M., Wiśniewski, R. (2013), Real estate market rating - need or necessity? Real Estate Management and Valuation, Vol 21, No 4, pp. 54-64.
- Saks, E. (2009), Świadomość proekologiczna mieszkańców - wpływ na środowisko i uatrakcyjnienie regionu.
- (Environment-friendly awareness of inhabitants - the influence on the environment and enhancing the region), Problemy Ekologii Krajobrazu, No XXV, pp. 47-52.
- Smersh, G.T., Smith, M.T., Schwartz, A.L.Jr. (2003), Factors Affecting Residential Property Development Patterns, Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol 25, No 1, pp. 61-76.
- Srour, I.M., Kockelman, K.M., Dunn, T.P. (2002), Accessibility Indices: A Connection to Residential Land Prices and Location Choices, Transportation Research Record, Vol 1805, No 1, pp. 25-34.
- Stachura. E. (2013). Środowisko mieszkaniowe w Polsce. Ocena, oczekiwania, aspiracje. Kraków: Wyd. Politechniki Krakowskiej.
- The Appraisal of Real Estate 13th Edition (2008), Chicago: Appraisal Institute.
- The International Valuation Standards 2011. (2011), London: International Valuation Standards Council.
- Trojanek, M. (2013), Customer Behavior Patterns on the Primary Housing Market in Poznan in the Period 2010-2011, Real Estate Management and Valuation, Vol 21, No 4, pp. 47-53.
- Trojanek, R. (2014), The impact of aircraft noise on the value of dwellings - the case of Warsaw Chopin Airport in Poland, Journal of International Studies, Vol 7, No 3, pp. 155-161.
- Trojanek, R. (2010), Dwelling's Price Fluctuations and the Business Cycle, Economics and Sociology, Vol. 3, No 2, 2010, pp. 67-77
- Wendy, C.Y.J., Chen, Y. (2007), Consumption preferences and environmental externalities: A hedonic analysis of the housing market in Guangzhou, Geoforum, Vol 38, No 2, pp. 414-431.
- Źróbek, S., Bełej, M. (2000), Podejście porównawcze w szacowaniu nieruchomości, Olsztyn: Educaterra.