Data Envelopment Analysis as an Instrument for Measuring the Efficiency of Courts
The paper addresses the problem of measuring the efficiency of civil jurisdiction courts. Non-parametric data envelopment analysis (DEA) has been proposed as a measurement instrument. Hearing (settling) a case within a reasonable time, as seen from the perspective of a citizen, is defined to be a positive output (result) of a court action. The production factors considered include human resources directly related to legal processes. The analysis was carried out for the 26 Cracow district courts. The goal has been assumed to be achieving the best possible outputs, without increasing resources. The results obtained prove that there exist reserves within these organizations that would allow them to shorten the queue of pending cases. The proposed method of measuring efficiency may constitute a starting point for further work on trying to create measurable standards of the functioning of the judiciary in Poland. (original abstract)
-  AUBYN M.S., Law and Order Efficiency Measurement. A Literature Review, Technical University of Lisbon, Lisbon 2008, 19.
-  BANKER R.D., CHARNES A., COOPER W.W., Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis, Management Science, 1984, 30, 1078.
-  BATTESE G.E., COELLI T., Prediction of firm - level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data, Journal of Econometrics, 1988, 38, 387.
-  BEŁDOWSKI J., CIŻKOWIK M., SZEŚCIŁO D., The effectiveness of the Polish judicial system in the light of national and international research, Forum Obywatelskiego Rozwoju, Warsaw 2010, 5 (in Polish).
-  BRAGG S.M., Business Ratios and Formulas. A Comprehensive Guide, Wiley, Chichester 2003.
-  CHARNES A., COOPER W.W., LEWIN A.Y., SEIFORD L.M., Data Envelopment Analysis. Theory, Methodology and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers. Norwell 1994.
-  CHARNES A., COOPER W.W., RHODES E., Measuring the efficiency of decision making units, European Journal of Operational Research, 1978, 2, 429.
-  COELLI T., A guide to DEAP version 2.1. A data envelopment analysis (computer) program, Working Paper 96/08, Centre of Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, University of New England, NSW, Armidale 1996.
-  COELLI T., A multi-stage methodology for the solution of orientated DEA models, Operations Research Letters, 1998, 23, 143.
-  ĆWIĄKAŁA-MAŁYS A., NOWAK W., Classification of data envelopment analysis models, Operations Research and Decisions, 2009, 19 (3), 5.
-  DEBREU G., The coefficient of resource utilization, Econometrica, 1951, 19 (3), 273.
-  FARRELL M.J., The measurement of productive efficiency, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 1957, 120, 253.
-  GUZOWSKA M., STRĄK T., An examination of the efficiency of Polish Public sector entities based on Public Prosecutor Offices, Operations Research and Decisions, 2010, 20 (2) 43.
-  JACOBS R., SMITH P.C., STREET A., Measuring effectiveness in the health services, Wolters Kluwer Polska, Warsaw 2013, 101 (in Polish).
-  KAPLAN R.S., NORTON D.P., The Strategy-Focused Organization. How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment, Harvard Business Press, Cambridge 2001.
-  KLEINE A., A general model framework for DEA, Omega, 2004, 32, 17.
-  KOZŁOWSKA J., Applications of DEA in measuring the efficiency of service firms, Zeszyty Naukowe Politechniki Śląskiej, Seria Organizacja i Zarządzanie 73, 2014, No. 1919 (in Polish).
-  KUCHARSKI A., Assessing Economic Efficiency Using DEA, 2nd Ed., Wydawnictwo KBO, University of Łódź, Łódź 2014, 3, 14 (in Polish).
-  Managing Current and Future Performance. Striving to Create Public Value, Accenture, Institute for Public Service Value, 2007, 7.
-  NAZARKO J., KOMUDA M., KUŹMICZ K., SZUBZDA E., URBAN J., The DEA method in public sector institutions efficiency analysis on the basis of higher education institutions, Operations Research and Decisions, 2008, 18 (4), 89 (in Polish).
-  PARKIN D., HOLLINGSWORTH B., Measuring production efficiency of acute hospitals in Scotland, 1991-1994. Validity issues in data envelopment analysis, Applied Economics, 1997 (29), 1425.
-  ROGOWSKI G., Analysis and assessment of the efficiency of banks using DEA, Bank i Kredyt, NBP, Warsaw 1996, 8 (in Polish).
-  ROGOWSKI G., Methods of analysing and assessing the efficiency of banks aimed at strategic management, Wydawnictwo WSB w Poznaniu, Poznań 1999.
-  SAMUELSON P.A., NORDHAUS W.D., Economics, 19th Ed., McGraw-Hill Higher Education, Columbus, Ohio, 2009.
-  STONER J.A.F., FREEMAN R.E., GILBERT D. R., Management, 6th Ed., Upper Saddle River, New York 1999.
-  Act on Public Finances of 27th August, 2009, Polish Government Records of 2013, par. 885.
-  WĘDZKI D., Analytic Indicators in Financial Reporting, Vol. 2. Financial Indicators, Oficyna a Wolters Kluwer Business, Cracow 2009.
-  YEUNG L.L., AZEVEDO P.F., Measuring efficiency of Brazilian courts with data envelopment analysis (DEA), IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, 2011, 22 (4), 343.