Family Involvement in the Firm and Exports in the Family SME : Is the Manager's International Orientation Influential?
Does the family involvement affect exports in the family firm? The literature seems to support this view even if the direction and magnitude of this impact remains controversial. Drawing on the perspectives of agency [Chrisman et al. 2004; Schulze et al. 2001] and stewardship as applied to family firms [Davis, Schoorman and Donaldson 1997] and also on socio-emotional wealth perspective [Gómez-Mejía et al. 2007], this study seeks to contribute to this debate by studying the influence of family involvement on the SME exports intensity. To reconcile the divergent views, our research attempts to assess the role of the manager's international orientation as a variable moderating the relationship between family involvement and exports in SMEs. Based on a hypothetical-deductive approach, the study uses a sample data of 125 family SMEs obtained through a questionnaire. The results show that even if the positive influence of the manager's international orientation is corroborated, its moderating role seems to be limited to only one facet of the construct of family involvement i.e. involvement in management. Moreover, owning-family involvement in management seems to negatively influence exports while some results argue for a positive effect of the family involvement in ownership on exports. (original abstract)
- Abdellatif M., Amann B., Jaussaud J. (2010), Family versus nonfamily business: A comparison of international strategies, "Journal of Family Business Strategy", 1(2), 108-116.
- Acedo F., Florin J. (2006), An entrepreneurial cognition perspective on the internationalization of SMEs, "Journal of International Entrepreneurship", 4(1), 49-67.
- Acedo F., Jones M. (2007), Speed of internationalization and entrepreneurial cognition: Insights and a comparison between international new ventures, exporters and domestic firms, 'Journal of World Business", 42(3), 236-252.
- Ali M.Y. (2004), Impact of firm and management related factors on firm export performance, "Journal of Asia Pacific Marketing", 3(2), 5-20.
- Andersen O., Kheam L. (1998), Resource-based Theory and International Growth Strategies: An exploratory Study, 'International Business Review', 7(2), 163-184.
- Arrègle J-L., Mari I. (2010), Avantages ou désavantages des entreprises familiales ? Principaux résultats de recherches et perspectives, 'Revue française de gestion', (1), 87-109.
- Astrachan J., Klein S., Smyrnios K. (2002), The F-PEC Scale of Family Influence: A Proposal for Solving the Family Business Definition Problem, 'Family Business Review', 15(1), 45-58.
- Autio E., Sapienza H., Almeida J. (2000), Effects of Age at Entry, Knowledge Intensity and Imitability on International Growth, "Academy of Management Journal", 43(5), 909-924.
- Barney J. (1991), Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage, "Journal of Management", 17(1), 99-121.
- Belso-Martinez J. (2006), Why are some Spanish manufacturing firms internationalizing rapidly? The role of business and institutional international networks, "Entrepreneurship and Regional Development", 18, 207-226.
- Bloodgood J., Sapienza H., Almeida J.G. (1996), The Internationalization of New High-Potential U.S. Ventures: Antecedents and Outcomes, "Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice", 20, 61-76.
- Boyd B., Goto T., Hollensen S. (2010), Internationalisation of family businesses - evidences from joint venture formations at Danfoss, "International Journal of Management Practice", 4(3), 253-272.
- Brouthers L., Nakos G., Hadjimarcou J., Brouthers K.D. (2009), Key factors for successful export performance for small firms, "Journal of International Marketing", 17, 21-38.
- Calabrò A., Mussolino D. (2013), How do boards of directors contribute to family SME export intensity? The role of formal and informal governance mechanisms, "Journal of Management and Governance", 17(2), 363-403.
- Carr C., Bateman S. (2009), International Strategy Configurations of the World's Top Family Firms. Another Factor Affecting Performance, "Manag.Int.Rev", 49, 733-758.
- Casillas J., Acedo F. (2005), Internationalisation of Spanish family SMEs: an analysis of family involvement, "International Journal of Globalisation and Small Business", 1(2), 134-151.
- Cavusgil ST. (1980), On the Internationalization Process of Firm, "European Research", 8, 273-281.
- Cavusgil ST. (1984), Organizational Characteristics Associated with Export Activity, "Journal of Management Studies", 1, 3-22.
- Cavusgil ST., Naor J. (1987), Firm and Management Characteristics as Discriminants of Export Marketing Activity, "Journal of Business Research", 15, 221-235.
- Cerrato D., Piva M. (2012), The internationalization of small and medium-sized enterprises: the effect of family management, human capital and foreign ownership, "Journal of Management and Governance", 16(4), 617-644.
- Chen H. (2011), Internationalization in Taiwanese family firms, "Global Journal of Business Research", 5(4), 15-24.
- Chrisman J., Chua J., LITZ R. (2004), Comparing the Agency Costs of Family and Non-Family Firms: Conceptual Issues and Exploratory Evidence, "Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice", 28(4), 335-355.
- Claver E., Rienda L., Quer D. (2007), The internationalisation process in family firms: Choice of market entry strategies, "Journal of General Management", 33(1), 1-14.
- Claver E., Rienda L., Quer D. (2009), Family Firms' International Commitment: The Influence of Family-Related Factors, "Family Business Review", 22(2), 125-135.
- Cohen T., Lindberg R. (1974), Survival and Growth: Management Strategies for the Small firm, New York, AMACOM.
- Collinson S., Houlden J. (2005), Decision-Making and Market Orientation in the Internationalization Process of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, "Management International Review", 45(4), 413, 436.
- Corbetta G., Montemerlo D. (1995), Internationalization Strategies in Family Businesses: Implications for Family and Firm, Research paper, SDA Bocconi, Business Policy Department.
- Covin J.G., Slevin D.P. (1989), Strategic management of small firms in hostile and benign environments, "Strategic Management Journal", 10(1), 75-87.
- Crick D., Bradshaw R., Chaudry S. (2006), Successful internationalising UK family and non-family-owned firms: A comparative study, "Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development", 13(4), 498-512.
- Davis J., Schoorman F., Donaldson L. (1997), Toward a Stewardship Theory of Management, "Academy of Management Review", 22, 20-47.
- Dhanaraj C., Beamish P.W. (2003), A resource-based approach to the study of export performance, "Journal of Small Business Management", 41(3), 242-261.
- Dichtl E., Koeglmayr H-G., Mueller S. (1990), International Orientation as a Precondition for Export Success, "Journal of International Business Studies", 21(1), pp. 23-40.
- Donckels R., Fröhlich E. (1991), Are Family Businesses Really Different ? European Experiences from STRATOS, "Family Business Review" 4(2), 149-160.
- El Akremi A., Roussel P. (2003), Analyse des variables modératrices et médiatrices par les méthodes d'équations structurelles: Applications en GRH. Paper presented at the AGRH Conference, May, Grenoble (France).
- Eriksson K., Lindstrand A., Majkgard A., Deo Sharma D. (2000), Path Dependence and Knowledge Development in the Internationalization Process, "Management International Review", 40, 307-328.
- Evrard Y., Pras B., Roux E. (2000), Market: Etudes et recherches en marketing, Paris, Dunod.
- Fama E., Jensen M. (1983), Separation of Ownership and Control, "Journal of Law and Economics", 26, 301-325.
- Fernandez Z., Nieto J. (2006), Impact of Ownership on the International Involvement of SMEs, "Journal of International Business Studies", 37(3), 340-351.
- Gallo M.A., Sveen J. (1991), Internationalizing the Family Business: Facilitating and Restraining Factors, "Family Business Review", 4, 181-190.
- Gallo M., Estapé M. (1992), The Internationalization of the Family Business: Exploration of the Differences Compared with Non-Family Businesses, Research paper, IESE - n°230 Bis, june 1992).
- Gallo M., Luostarinen R. (1992), Internationalization: A Challenging Change for Family Businesses. Paper presented at the Family Business Network Conference, Barcelona.
- Gallo M., Pont C. (1996), Important Factors in Family Business Internationalization, "Family Business Review", 9(1), 45-59.
- George D., Mallery P. (2003), SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference. 11.0 update, Boston, Allyn & Bacon.
- GersickK-E., Davis J-A., McCollom H., Lansberg I. (1997), Generation to Generation: Life Cycles of the Family Business, Boston, Harvard Business School Press.
- Grapentine T. (1995), Dimensions of an Attribute, "Marketing research", 7(3), 19-28.
- Graves C., Thomas J. (2008), Determinants of the internationalization pathways of family firms: An examination of family influence, "Family Business Review", 21(2), 151-167.
- Graves C., Thomas J. (2006), Internationalization of Australian family businesses: A managerial capabilities perspective, "Family Business Review", 19(3), 207-224.
- Gudmundson D., Hartman E., Tower C. (1999), Strategic Orientation: Differences between Family and Nonfamily Firms, "Family Business Review", 12(1), 27-39.
- Habbershon T., Williams M. (1999), A Resource-Based Framework for Assessing the Strategic Advantages of Family Firms, Family Business Review, 12(1), 1-25.
- Hambrick D., Geletkanycz M., Fredrickson J. (1993), Top Executive Commitment to the Status Quo: Some Tests of its Determinants, "Strategic Management Journal", 14, 401-418.
- Harvey J. (1999), Owner as Manager, Extended Horizons and the Family Firm, "International Journal of Economics and Business", 6(1), 41-55.
- Jensen M. (1994), Self-interest, Altruism, Incentives and Agency Theory, "Journal of Applied Corporate Finance", 7(2), 40-45.
- Johanson J., Vahlne J-E. (1977), The Internationalization Process of the Firm - A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments, "Journal of International Business Studies", l8(1), 23-32.
- Katz J., Niehoff B. (1998), How Owners Influence Strategy - A Comparison of Owner-Controlled and Manager-controlled Firms, "Long range Planning", 31(5), 755-761.
- Kelly L., Athanassiou N., CRITTENDEN W. (2000), Founder Centrality and Strategic Behaviour in the Family-owned Firm, "Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice", 25(2), 27-42.
- Kesner I., Sebora T. (1994), Executive Succession: Past, Present & Future, "Journal of Management", 20(2), 327-372.
- Kontinen T., Ojala A. (2010), Internationalization pathways of family SMEs: psychic distance as a focal point, "Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development", 17(3), 437-454.
- Kontinen T., Ojala A. (2010), The internationalization of family businesses: A review of extant research, "Journal of Family Business Strategy", 1(2) 97-107.
- Kontinen T., Ojala A. (2011), Network ties in the international opportunity recognition of family SMEs, "International Business Review", (20(4), 440-453.
- Kontinen T., Ojala A. (2011), International Opportunity Recognition among Small and Medium- Sized Family Firms, "Journal of Small Business Management", 49(3), 490-514.
- Knight G., Kim D. (2009), International business competence and the contemporary firm, "Journal of International Business Studies", 40, 255-273.
- Kim Y.Y., Gao F.Y. (2013), Does family involvement increase business performance? Family-longevity goals' moderating role in Chinese family firms, "Journal of Business Research", 66(2), 265-274.
- Larimo J. (2013), Small and Medium-Size Enterprise Export Performance, "International Studies of Management & Organization", 43(2), 79-100.
- Levy O., Beechler S., Taylor S., Boyacigiller N.A. (2007), What we talk about when we talk about 'global mindset': Managerial cognition in multinational corporations, "Journal of International Business Studies", 38(2), 231-258.
- Lim J., Sharkey T., Kim K. (1991), An Empirical Test of an Export Adoption Model, "Management International Review", 31, 51-62.
- Lloyd-Reason L., Mughan T. (2000), SME Internationalisation and the Key Role of the Owner-Manager, "Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development", 9(2).
- Luostarinen R. (1979), Internationalization of the Firm. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation. Acta Academiae Oeconomicae Helsingiensis A:30. The Helsinki School of Business Administration, Finlande.
- Luostarinen R. (1994), Internationalization of Family Enterprises. Research paper, CIBR Working Papers, Series Z-1.
- Luostarinen R., Hellmann H. (1995), The Internationalization Processes and Strategies of Finnish Family Firms. Research paper, CIBR Research Papers, Series Y-1.
- Manolova T., Brush C., Edelman L., Greene P. (2002), Internationalization of Small Firms: Personal Factors Revisited, "International Small Business Journal", February (20), 9-31.
- McDougall P., Shane S., Oviatt B. (1994), Explaining the Formation of International New Ventures: The Limits of Theories From International Business Research, "Journal of Business Venturing", 9, 469-487.
- Melin L., Nordqvist M. (2000), Corporate Governance in Family Firms: The Role of Influential Actors and the strategic Arena, Paper presented at the ICSB Conference, Brisbane, (June).
- Miller D., Steier L., Le Breton-Miller I. (2003), Lost in Time: Intergenerational Succession, Change, and Failure in Family Business, "Journal of Business Venturing", 18, 513-531.
- Miocevic D., Crnjak-Karanovic B. (2011), Cognitive and Information-Based Capabilities in the Internationalization of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: The Case of Croatian Exporters, "Journal of Small Business Management", 49(4), 537-557.
- Moen Ø., Servais P. (2002), Born global or gradual global? Examining the export behavior of small and medium-sized enterprises, "Journal of International Marketing", 10(3), 49-72.
- Moloktos L. (1991), Change and Transition and Family Businesses. Paper presented at the Family Business Network Conference, Barcelona.
- Muñoz F., Sánchez M.J. (2012), Do family ties shape the performance consequences of diversification? Evidence from the European Union, "Journal of World Business", 47(3), 469-477.
- Mustakallio M., Autio E. (2001), Optimal Governance in Family Firms. Paper presented at the Babson College Entrepreneurship Conference, Jönköping.
- Naldi L., Nordqvist M. (2008), Family Firms Venturing into International Markets: A Resource Dependence Perspective. Paper presented at the Babson College Entrepreneurship Conference. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Nguyen T., Barrett N., Fletcher R. (2006), Information internalisation and internationalization - Evidence from Vietnamese firms, "International Business Review", 15(6), 682-701.
- Nummela N., Saarenketo S., Puumalainen K. (2004), A global mindset-a prerequisite for successful internationalization?, 'Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences/Revue Canadienne des Sciences de l'Administration', 21(1), 51-64.
- Nunnally J. (1978), Psychometric Theory, New York, McGraw-Hill.
- Okoroafo S., Koh A. (2010), Family Businesses' Views on Internationalization: Do They Differ by Generation?, "International Business Research", 3(1), 22-28.
- Perlmutter H. (1969), The Tortuous Evolution of the Multinational Corporation, "Columbia Journal of World Business", 4(1), 9-18.
- Pett T., Francis J., Wolff J. (2004), Examining SME internationalization motives as an extension of competitive strategy, "Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship", 16(1), 46-65.
- Reid R.S. (1981), The Decision-maker and Export Entry and Expansion, "Journal of International Business Studies", 12(2), 101-112.
- Reuber A.R., Fischer E. (1997), The influence of the management team's international experience on the internationalization behaviors of SMEs, "Journal of International Business Studies", 28(4), 807-825.
- Ruzzier M., Antonci B., Hisrich R., Konecnik M. (2007), Human Capital and SME Internationalization: A Structural Equation Modeling Study, "Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences", 24(1), 15-29.
- Salvato C. (2002), Towards a Stewardship Theory of the Family Firm. Paper presented at the 13th FBN Conference. Helsinki, 2002.
- Sanchez-Bueno M.J., Usero B. (2014), How may the nature of family firms explain the decisions concerning international diversification?, "Journal of Business Research", 67(7), 1311-1320. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2013).09.003.
- Schulze W., Lubatkin M., Dino R., Buchholtz A. (2001), Agency Relationships in Family Firms: Theory and Evidence, "Organization Science", 12(2), 99-116.
- Schulze W., Lubatkin M., Dino R. (2003), Exploring the Agency Consequences of Ownership Dispersion Among the Directors of Private Family Firms, "Academy of Management Journal", 46(2), 179-194.
- Sciascia S., Mazzola P. (2008), Family Involvement in Ownership and Management: Exploring Nonlinear Effects on Performance, "Family Business Review", 21(4), 331-345.
- Sciascia S., Mazzola P., Astrachan J., Pieper T. (2010), The role of family ownership in international entrepreneurship: exploring nonlinear effects, "Small Business Economics", 38(1), 15-31.
- Segaro E.L., Larimo J., Jones M.V. (2014), Internationalisation of family small and medium sized enterprises: The role of stewardship orientation, family commitment culture and top management team, "International Business Review", 23(2), 381-395.
- Sharma P., Chrisman J., Chua J. (1997), Strategic Management of the Family Business: Past Research and Future Challenges, "Family Business Review", 10(1), 1-35.
- Simon H. (1996), Hidden Champions, Boston, Harvard Business School Press.
- Sullivan D. (1994), Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm, "Journal of International Business Studies", 25(2), 325-350.
- Sun W., Stacy A., Ma H., Chou C-P. (2007), A SAS Macro to Calculate Standardized Cronbach's alpha using Upper Bound phi Coefficient for Dichotomous Items, "Behav Res Methods", 39(1), 71-81.
- Tagiuri R., Davis J. (1992), On the Goals of Successful Family Companies, "Family Business Review", 5(1), 43-62.
- Tallman S., Fladmoe-Lindquist K. (1994), A Resource-Based Model of the Multinational Firm, Paper presented at the Strategic Management Society Conference, Paris.
- Thomas J., Graves C. (2005), Internationalization of the Family Firm: The contribution of an Entrepreneurial Orientation, "Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship", 17(2), 91-113.
- Tsao C.W., Chen S.J., Lin C.S., Hyde W. (2009), Founding-family ownership and firm performance: The role of high-performance work systems, "Family Business Review", 22(4), 319-332.
- Wang Y. (2010), Correlates of Family Business Internationalisation. Paper presented at the IFERA Conference, Lancaster.
- Welch L., Luostarinen R. (1988), Internationalization : Evolution of a Concept, "Journal of General Management", 14(2), 36-64.
- Xiao J., Alhabeeb M., Hong G-S., Haynes G. (2001), Attitude Toward Risk and Risk-taking Behaviour of Business-owning families, 'The Journal of Consumer Affairs', 35(2), 307-226.
- Yip G.S., Biscarri J.G., Monti J.A. (2000), The role of the internationalization process in the performance of newly internationalizing firms, "Journal of International Marketing", 8(3), 10-35.
- Zahra S.A. (2003), International Expansion of US Manufacturing Family Businesses: The Effect of Ownership and Involvement, "Journal of Business Venturing", 18(4), 495-512.
- Zahra S.A. (2005), Entrepreneurial Risk Taking in Family Firms, "Family Business Review", 18(1), 23-40.