Intercultural Challenges Facing the Hospitality Industry : Implications for Education and Hospitality Management
Hospitality organizations which are increasingly operating internationally create real challenges for their employees and managers to interact and effectively work with people from different cultural environments. Many problems may relate to intercultural communication between managers and employees as well as between employees and hotel guests from different cultural backgrounds. Therefore, the issue of intercultural communication has recently had an increasing reach in the hospitality industry. Cultural awareness, sensitivity and understanding of cultural differences should be perceived as a critical issue for business success. Therefore, the following questions still need answers from both academics and the business: What kind of challenges does the hospitality industry face in view of the multicultural diversity of its markets? What kind of managers' skills and abilities, particularly in the case of entry-level managers, are strongly needed today to manage effectively multicultural hospitality workforce? And how may educational programs influence intercultural competence development of tourism and hospitality students to interact effectively in a multicultural environment. The aim of the study is to show that cultural diversity of hotel employees and guests may create unique challenges of cross-cultural service encounters, which may provide an opportunity for service differentiation. The research problem is to find answers to the questions: how may the challenges that emerge from cross-cultural interactions become a source of hotel competitiveness and how may the educational process contribute to the intercultural competence development, to recruit employees who will be able to operate successfully in a multicultural hospitality environment. The study problem is discussed in the context of literature review and the previous research conducted in the hospitality setting. Implications for practitioners and educators are also delivered. (original abstract)
- Busby G.D., Gibson P. (2010), Tourism and hospitality internship experiences overseas: A British perspective, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education", 9(1), pp. 4-12.
- Łasiński G. (2000), Sztuka prezentacji, Poznań: Wyd. eMPI2.
- Solnet D., Robinson R., Cooper Ch. (2007), An Industry Partnerships Approach in Tourism Education, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education", 6(1), pp. 66-70.
- Baron A., Armstrong M. (2008), Zarządzanie kapitałem ludzkim. Uzyskiwanie wartości dodanej dzięki ludziom, Kraków: Oficyna Wolters Kluwer Business.
- Brownell J. (2003), Applied Research in Managerial Communication: The Critical Link between Knowledge and Practice, "Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly", 44 (2), pp. 39-49.
- Casado M. (2001), Theory of the effect of Compensation on turnover in hospitality companies, "Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education", 13 (3/4), pp. 28-33.
- Charakterystyka przyjazdów cudzoziemców do Polski w 2014 roku; Ministerstwo Sportu i Turystyki, http://www.msport.gov.pl/statystyka-turystyka/charakterystyka-przyjazdow-cudzoziemcow-do-polski-w-2014-roku, 03.07.2015.
- Choi K.H., Kim D-Y. (2013), A cross cultural study of antecedents on career preparation behavior: Learning motivation, academic achievement, and career decision self-efficacy, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education", 13, pp. 19-32.
- Choi Y.G., Kwon J., Kim W. (2013), Effects of attitudes vs experience of workplace fun on employee behaviors: Focused on Generation Y in the hospitality industry, "International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management", 25(3), pp. 410-427.
- Do you know that you have a unique communication style?, http://sherwoodfleming.com/do-you-know-that-you-have-a-unique-communication-style/, 05.07.2015.
- Faulkner B., Patiar A. (1997), Workplace induced stress among operational staff in the hotel industry, "International Journal of Hospitality Management", 16 (1), pp. 99-117.
- Gursoy D., Maier T.A., Chi C.G. (2008), Generational differences: An examination of work values and generational gaps in the hospitality workforce, "International Journal of Hospitality Management", 27(3), pp. 448-458.
- Hjalager A-M. (2003), Global Tourism Careers: Opportunities and Dilemmas Facing Higher Education in Tourism, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education", 2(2), pp. 26-38.
- http://careers.ihg.com/about-ihg, 05.07.2015.
- http://jobs.hiltonworldwide.com/en/why-choose-us/workplace-diversity/culture/?cntry=united-states, 05.07.2015.
- http://jobs.hiltonworldwide.com/en/why-choose-us/workplace-diversity/?cntry=united-states, 05.07.2015.
- http://www.accorhotels-group.com/en/recruitment-and-careers.html, 05.07.2015
- http://www.marriott.com/diversity/diversity-and-inclusion.mi, 05.07.2015
- http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Corporate/GoldStandards/Default.htm, 05.07.2015
- http://www2.unwto.org/content/why-tourism, 05.07.2015
- Hu W-T. (T), Martin L., Yeh J-M.R. (2002), Cross-Cultural Impact and Learning Needs for Expatriate Hotel Employees in Taiwan Lodging Industry, "Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism", 1(3), pp. 31-45.
- Jenkins A.K. (2001), Making a career of it? Hospitality students' future perspectives: an Anglo-Dutch study, "International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management", 13 (1), pp. 13- 20.
- Jiang B., Tribe J. (2009), Tourism jobs - short-lived professions': Student attitudes towards tourism careers in China, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education", 8(1), pp. 4-19.
- Johns N., Henwood J., Seaman C. (2007), Culture and service predisposition among hospitality students in Switzerland and Scotland, "International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management", 19(2), pp. 146-158.
- Kavanagh S. (2002), Could you be a team leader?, "Travel Trade Gazette", 17 June, p. 22.
- Kiełbasiewicz-Drozdowska I., Radko S. (2006), The role of intercultural communication in tourism and recreation, "Studies In Physical Culture And Tourism", 13(2), pp. 75-85.
- Kim H.J., Shin K.H., Umbreit W.T. (2007), Hotel job burnout: The role of personality characteristics, "International Journal of Hospitality Management", 26(2), pp. 421-434.
- LeBlanc Ch.L., Mills K.E. (1995), Competitive advantage begins with positive culture, "Nation's Restaurant News", Oct 2, 29 (39).
- Lee Ch., Chon K.-S. (2000), An investigation of multicultural training practices in the restaurant industry: the training cycle approach, "International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management", 12(2), pp. 126-134.
- Lee-Ross D. (2003), The quintessential relationship: service predispositions and quality assurance [in:] S. Kusluvan (Ed.), Managing employee attitudes and behaviors in the tourism and hospitality industry, pp. 263-275, New York: Nova Publishers.
- Lolli J.C. (2013a), Interpersonal communication skills and the young hospitality leader: Are they prepared?, "International Journal of Hospitality Management", 32, pp. 295-298.
- Lolli J. (2013b), Perceptions of the Importance and Preparedness of Interpersonal Communication Skills of the Entry-Level Hospitality Leader: Implications for Hospitality Educators, "Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism", 13, pp. 354-373.
- Losy absolwentów szkół i uczelni kształcących kadry dla turystyki, http://www.msport.gov.pl/ksztalcenie-i-szkolenie-turystyka, 05.07.2015.
- Luka I., Vaidesvarans S., Vinklere D. (2013), Educating Tourism Students for Work in a Multicultural Environment, "Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism", 13(1), pp. 1-29.
- Mancini-Cross C., Backman K.F., Baldwin E.D. (2009), The Effect of the Language Barrier on Intercultural Communication: A Case Study of Educational Travel in Italy, "Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism", 9(1-2), pp. 104-123.
- Martin W.B. (2006), Zarządzanie jakością obsługi w restauracjach i hotelach, Kraków: Oficyna Ekonomiczna.
- Mayo C.R., Thomas-Haysbert C. (2005), Essential competencies needed by hospitality and tourism management graduates as determined by industry professionals and hospitality educators, "Consortium Journal of Hospitality & Tourism", 9(2), pp. 5-17.
- Nicholls R. (2011), Customer-to-customer interaction (CCI): a cross-cultural perspective, "International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management", 23(2), pp. 209-223.
- Perry P.M. (2006), Culture Clash, Restaurant Hospitality, August, pp. 74-78.
- Piasta J. (2007), Marketing w hotelarstwie, Warszawa: Jacek Piasta-Doradztwo.
- Poprawski M. (2009), Leadership. An Intercultural Approach, "Journal of Intercultural Management", 1(1), pp. 28-41.
- Reisinger Y., Turner L. (1998), Cultural Differences between Mandarin-Speaking Tourists and Australian Hosts and Their Impact on Cross-Cultural Tourist-Host Interaction, "Journal of Business Research", 42, pp. 175-187.
- Rodríguez-Antón J.M., Alonso-Almeida M., Andrada L.R., Pedroche M.C. (2013), Are university tourism programmes preparing the professionals the tourist industry needs? A longitudinal study. "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education", vol. 12 (1), pp. 25-35.
- Ruhanen L., Robinson R., Breakey N. (2013), A tourism immersion internship: Student expectations, experiences and satisfaction, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education", 13, pp. 60-69.
- Scott-Halsell S., Blum S.C., Huffmann L. (2011), From school desks to front desks: A comparison of emotional intelligence levels of hospitality undergraduate students to hospitality industry professionals, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education", 10(2), pp. 3-13.
- Seymour D., Constanti P. (2002), University Hospitality Education for International Management: A Case of Wasted Opportunities?, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education", 1(2), pp. 3-13.
- Sizoo S., Iskat W., Plank R., Serrie H. (2003), Cross-Cultural Service Encounters in the Hospitality Industry and the Effect of Intercultural Sensitivity on Employee Performance, "International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Administration", 4(2), pp. 61-77.
- Sizoo S., Serrie H., Shapero M. (2010), Succeeding in the global marketplace: A practical approach to developing the Cross-cultural skills of tourism & hospitality students, "Journal of Tourism", XI (2), pp. 1-18.
- Steiner C.J., Reisinger Y. (2004), Enriching the Tourist and Host Intercultural Experience by Reconceptualising Communication, "Journal of Tourism & Cultural Change", 2(2), pp. 118-137.
- Suh E., West J.J., Shin J. (2012), Important competency requirements for managers in the hospitality industry, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education", 11, pp. 101-112.
- Swanson S.R., Huang Y., Wang B. (2014), Hospitality-based critical incidents: a cross-cultural comparison, "International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management", 26 (1), pp. 50-68.
- Taylor M., McArthur L. (2009), Cross-Cultural Knowledge, Attitudes and Experiences of Hospitality Management Students, "Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education", 21 (4), pp. 6-14.
- Torres E.N., Fub X., Lehto X. (2014), Examining key drivers of customer delight in a hotel experience: A cross-cultural perspective, "International Journal of Hospitality Management", 36, pp. 255-262.
- Turystyka w 2013 r., http://stat.gov.pl/obszary-tematyczne/kultura-turystyka-sport/turystyka/turystyka-w-2013-r-,1,11.html, 05.07.2015.
- Weber K., Ladkin A. (2010), Developing Effective Tourism Leadership, "Journal of China Tourism Research", 6, pp. 410-427.
- Wolvin A.D. (1994), Communication in the hospitality industry, "International Journal of Hospitality Management", 13 (3), pp. 195-199.
- www.accorhotels-group.com/en/franchise-and-management/our-contracts/our-franchise-contract.html, 05.07.2015.
- Yao-Yi F. (2015), Factors that contribute to tourism students' development of intercultural competence, "Tourism", 63 (1), pp. 7-17.
- Zopiatis A., Theocharous A.L. (2013), Revisiting hospitality internship practices: A holistic investigation, "Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education", 13, pp. 33-46.