Thoughts about exotic bank products' advertising in emerging economies during the crisis
The background of this study is related to the loss of confidence in the financial sector after the economic crisis which began in 2008. In Central and Eastern European countries a specific aspect of this issue was identified, namely: the loss of confidence in foreign currency loans, considered an exotic bank product. Beside the political aspects of this topic the social responsibility of banks' marketing and advertising should also be considered at two important stakeholders categories: consumers and regulatory bodies. This study is guided by the following research question: how were the Swiss franc foreign currency loans introduced in the Hungarian and the Romanian market? In this paper the exploratory phase of the research is presented. The general economic situation in the recession and the specific marketing and advertising expense in this period led to a better understanding of the situation. In the case of two developing countries, Hungary's and Romania's banking sector are presented with a focus on the exotic product such as the foreign currency loan. The results emphasized the key factors of successful and less successful country cases. (original abstract)
- Ahn H., Song Y.-A., Sung Y., When the Going Gets Tough, Ads Become Straightforward But Multi-appealed: The Influence of the Recession on Financial Services Advertising Appeals, "Journal of Financial Services Marketing" 2011, vol. 16, pp. 230-243.
- Apostoiu C., Ziarul Financiar, 2011, March 1, http://www.zf.ro/business-internatio- nal/guvernul-ungar-vrea-sa-reduca-prin-lege-rata-la-banca-celor-cu-credite-in-franci-elvetieni-ingheata-cursul-8022281 (15.12.2013).
- Arens W.F., Contemporary Advertising - Ninth Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York2004.
- Argo J. J., Main K. J., Meta-Analyses of the Effectiveness of Warning, "Journal of Public Policy & Marketing" 2004, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 193-208.
- Bhandari S., Some Ethical Isues in Computation and Disclosure of Interest Rate and Cost of Credit, "Journal of Business Ethics" 1997, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 531-535.
- Bone P.F., Toward a General Model of Consumer Empowerment and Welfare in Financial Markets with an Aplication to Mortgage Servicers, "The Journal of Consumer Affairs" 2008, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 165-188.
- Chiru L., 2011, June 28, http://www.zf.ro/banci-si-asigurari/creditele-in-franci- fac-gauri-si-in-bilanturile-bancilor-nu-doar-in-buzunarele-clientilor-8397783 (17.12.2013).
- Deleersnyder B., Dekimpe M.G., Steenkamp J.-B.E., Leeflang P.S., Luiss Univerita Guido Carli, 2008, http://www.luiss.edu/dptea/files/leeflang.pdf (17.01.2014).
- Friedman M., The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits, "New York Times Magazine", 1970, September 13.
- Gijsenberg M.J., van Heerde H.J., Dekimpe M.G., Steenkamp J.-B.E., Advertising and Price Effectiveness Over the Business Cycle, 2009, June 11, Social Science Research Network, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1531150 (1.01.2014).
- Graham R.C., Frankenberger K.D., The Earnings Effects of Marketing Communication Expenditures During Recessions, "Journal of Advertising" 2011, pp. 5-24.
- Index, 2004, June 24, http://index.hu/gazdasag/magyar/devlak040624/ (17.12.2013).
- Index, 2006, November 1, Lakashitel: szuperkedvezmenyekkel csabitjak az iigyfelekt a bankok, http://index.hu/gazdasag/magyar/lakhitba0610/ (17.12.2013).
- Ipsos LE., Study on the Functioning of the Consumer Credit Market in Europe, European Commission, 2013.
- Kamber T., The Brand Manager's Dilemma: Understanding How Advertising Expenditures Affect Sales Growth During a Recession, "Brand Management" 2002, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 106-120.
- Lee T.D., Chung W., Taylor R.E., A Strategic Response to the Financial Crisis: An Empirical Analysis of Financial Services Advertising Before and During the Financial Crisis, "Journal of Services Marketing" 2011, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 150-164.
- Lilien G.L., Srinivasan R., Marketing Spending Strategy in Recessions, "Australasian Marketing Journal" 2010, pp. 181-182.
- Macleod C., Global Economy and Adspends Prospects, "International Journal of Advertising" 2008, pp. 403-405.
- Pearce II J.A., Michael S.C., Marketing Strategies that Make Entrepreneurial Firms Recession-Resistant, "Journal of Business Venturing" 1997, pp. 301-314.
- Picard R. R., Effects of Recessions on Advertising Expenditures: An Exploratory Study of Economic Downturns in Nine Developed Nations, "The Journal of Media Economics" 2001, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Polonsky M.J., Hyman M.R., A Multiple Stakeholder Perspective on Responsibility in Advertising, "Journal of Advertising" 2007, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 5-13.
- Porter M., CSR - a Religion with Too Many Priests?, "European Business Forum", autumn 2003, no. 15, pp. 41-42.
- Report T., Crisis and Transition The People's Perspective, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, 2011.
- Sohn Y.S., Han J.K., Lee S.H., Communication Strategies for Enhancing Perceived Fit in the CSR Sponsorship Context, "International Journal of Advertising" 2012, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 133-146.
- Srinivasan R., Lilien G.L., Sridhar S., Should Firms Spend More on Research and Development and Advertising During Recessions?, "Journal of Marketing" 2011, vol. 75, pp. 49-65.
- Srinivasan R., Rangaswamy A., Lilien G.L., Turning Adversity Into Advantage: Does Proactive Marketing During a Recession Pay Off?, "International Journal of Research in Marketing" 2005, pp. 109-125.
- Suranyi G., Folyamatos lemaradas, vagy felzarkozas? - A magyargazdasag teljesitme- nye nemzetkdzi dsszehasonlitasban, "Koz-Gazdasag" 2014, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 13-38.
- Tellis G. J., Tellis K., A Critical Review and Synthesis of Research on Advertising, 2009, April 16, USC Research Computing Facility, http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~tellis/AdRe- view.pdf (3.01.2014).
- Torres I.M., Sierra J.J., Heiser R.S., The Effects of Warning-label Placement in Prind Ads, "Journal of Advertising" 2007, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 49-62.
- Vaile R.S., The Use of Advertising During the Depresion, Harvard Business Review, 1929, pp. 323-330.
- van der Wurff R., Bakker P., Picard R.R., Economic Growth and Advertising Expenditures in Different Media in Different Countries, "Journal of Media Economics" 2008, vol. 21, pp. 28-52.
- Voican R., 2008, October 19, http://www.zf.ro/banci-si-asigurari/bancherii-scot- creditele-in-franci-din-oferta-din-cauza-ca-devin-mai-scumpe-decat-cele-in-euro-3336143 (17.12.2013).
- Wang A., Advertising Disclosures and CSR Practices of Credit Card Issuers, "Management Research News" 2009, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1177-1191.
- Wang A.,Tie Visual Priming Effect of Credit Card Advertising Disclosure, "International Journal of Disclosure and Governance" 2012, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 348-363.