Remembering Mancur Olson : and Auld Lang Syne
It was in late September 1955 that Mancur Olson introduced himself. In the Porter's entry lodge of our Oxford College (University College, Oxford, or to Oxonians affectionately, and hereafter, "Univ." http://www.univ.ox.ac.uk) he asked whether I had rooms in College or was living in "digs." "College," I mumbled because I had no idea what "digs" meant, having been in Oxford not more than a day. His speech and manner seemed so British I was astonished to learn that he had arrived in Oxford only a year before, and from North Dakota, a State neighboring my own. It would be twenty years before I would learn that he claimed his ever so slowly mellowing English accent to be not foreign to him at all but something regional or local from home. Twenty years also before I would think to ask the meaning of "Mancur" - thinking it might be Norwegian and after hearing so many say "Mankur," which never seemed to bother him. "From the Arabic" he told me, "meaning 'Victorious'." (fragment of text)
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1959. With Curtis C. Harris Jr. Free Trade in Corn: A Statistical Study of the Prices and Production of Wheat in Great Britain from 1873 to 1914. "Quarterly Journal of Economics". February, 145-69.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1962. The Economics of Target Selection for the Combined Bomber Offensive. "Journal of the Royal United Service Institution". Vol. CVII, November, 306-14.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1963. The Economics of Wartime Shortage: A History of British Food Shortages in the Napoleonic War and World Wars I and II. Durham NC: Duke University Press.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1965. The Logic of Collective Action: Public Goods and The Theory of Groups. Harvard Economic Studies. Vol. 124, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1966. With Richard Zeckhauser. An Economic Theory of Alliances. "Review of Economics and Statistics" Vol. XLVII, 266-79.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1969. The Principle of Fiscal Equivalence. "American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings." May, 479-87.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1969. Toward A Social Report. U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office (written with others).
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1980. With Martin J. Bailey and Paul Wonnacott. The Marginal Utility of Income Does Not Increase: Borrowing, Lending, and Friedman-Savage Gambles. "American Economic Review" June, 372-79.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1981. With Martin J. Bailey. Positive Time Preference. "Journal of Political Economy" February, 1-25.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1982. The Rise and Decline of Nations: Economic Growth, Stagflalion, and Social Rigidities. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1991. Autocracy, Democracy, and Prosperity. In "Strategy and Choice" ed. by Richard Zeckhauser, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1996. Big Bills Left on the Sidewalk: Why Some Nations are Rich, and Others Poor. Distinguished Lecture on Economics in Government. "Journal of Economic Perspectives" Spring, 3-24.
- Mancur L. Olson Jr, 1996. With Martin C. McGuire. The Economics of Autocracy and Majority Rule: The Invisible Hand and the Use of Force. "Journal of Economic Literature" Vol. XXXIV, March, 72-96.
- Andreoni, James. 1986. Privately Provided Public Goods in a Large Economy: The Limits of Altruism. "Journal of Public Economics" 57-73.
- Andreoni, James, and Martin C. McGuire. 1993. Identifying the Free Riders: A Simple Algorithm for Determining Who Will Contribute to a Public Good. "Journal of Public Economics". Vol 51(6)447-54.
- Brodie, Bernard. 1959. Strategy in the Missile Age. Princeton University Press: New York, NY.
- Chamberlin, John. 1974. Provision of Collective Goods as a Function of Group Size. "American Political Science Review". Vol 68(2) 707-16.
- Hardin, Russell. 1982. Collective Action. The Johns Hopkins University Press: Baltimore.
- Banfield, Edward C. 1958. The Moral Basis of Backward Society. Glencoe, IL: The Free Press.
- Baumoi , William J. 1952. Welfare Economics and the Theory of the Slate. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., Blume, L., and Hal R. Varian. 1986. On the Private Provision of Public Goods. "Journal of Public Economics" 25-49.
- Chamberlain, Edward H. 1933. The Theory of Monopolistic Competition. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Cornes, Richard C., and Todd Sandler. 1984. Easy Riders, Joint Production, and Public Goods. "Economic Journal" 560-96. .
- Cornes, Richard C., and Todd Sandler. 1986. The Theory of Externalities, Public Goods, and Club Goods. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- de Soto, Hernando. 1990. The Other Path: The Invisible Revolution in the Third World. New York, NY: Harper and Row.
- Headquarters, Department of the Air Force. 1947. United States Strategic Bombing Survey. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Kahn, Herman. 1960. On Thermonuclear War. Princeton University Press: New York, NY
- Kissinger, Henry A. 1957. Nuclear Weapons and Foreign Policy. Council On Foreign Relations: New York, NY.
- Leontief, Wassily. 1933. The Use of Indifference Curves in the Analysis of Foreign Trade. "Quarterly Journal of Economics". Vol 47(3) 493-503.
- McGuire, Martin C. 1965. Secrecy and the Arms Race. Harvard Economic Studies No 125. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA.
- McGuire, Martin C. 1974. Group Size, Group Homogeneity, and the Aggregate Provision of a Pure Public Good Under Cournot Behavior. "Public Choice". Vol 18(3) 107-126.
- McGuire, Martin C. 1990. Mixed Public-Private Benefi t and Public-Good Supply with Application to the NATO Alliance. "Defence Economics". Vol 1(1) 17-35.
- McGuire, Martin C., and Ratna K. Shrestha. 2003. A New Approach to Group Structure, Burden Sharing And the Equilibrium Provision of Public Goods. "International Tax and Public Finance". Vol 10(4) 341-56 .
- Robinson, Joan. 1933. The Economics of Imperfect Competition. London: MacMillan.
- Sandler, Todd. 1992. Collective Action: Theory and Applications. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Schelling, Thomas, C. 1960. The Strategy of Confl ict. Harvard University Press: Cambridge MA.
- Warr, Peter. 1983. The Private Provision of a Public Good is Independent of the Distribution of Income. "Economics Letters" 207-11.
- Wohlstetter, Albert. 1959. The Delicate Balance of Terror. Foreign Affairs 37 (January) 211-34.