Improvement of the Communication between Teachers and Students in the Coaching Programme and in a Process of Action Research
The paper seeks to explain the process of the coaching programme for teachers in elementary 3 schools in Israel in an action research, for the improvement of the communication between the students and teachers. The objective of the present research is to launch a group coaching programme amongst fellow teachers in the school, including to design and examine this experience in the format of an action research with emphasis on the potential influence of the nature of the communication between the teachers and students and as a result on the academic achievement of the students.The research presented in this paper is based on the qualitative and quantitative research approaches. The validation of the research findings is performed primarily on the basis of triangulation between the interviews held with a group of teachers and the personal questionnaires4 distributed to the teachers and their analysis [Ellis, Adams, and Bochner 2011].(original abstract)
- Allpert, B., 2006, Two Ways of Participation in Qualitative Research in the Schools: The Researcher as Ethnographer and the Researcher in the Action Team, in: Levi, D. (ed.), Action Research: Theory and Practice, Philosophical Connections and Methodologies between Action Research and the Qualitative Research Paradigm, Mofet Institute: 197-213.
- Arnon, R., Frankel, P., Rubin, E., 2012, To Be or Not to Be (a Teacher)? The Image of the Teaching Profession as an Attractive Occupation, Research Paths, no. 18, Mofet Institute: 33-44.
- Beyt-Marom, R., 2014, Research Methods in the Social Sciences: Research Principles and Styles, The Open University, Tel Aviv.
- Bryman, A., 2012, Social Research Methods, Oxford University Press.
- Burley, S., Pomphrey, C., 2011, Mentoring and Coaching in Schools: Professional Learning through Collaborative Inquiry, Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group.
- Burnes, B., 2004, Kurt Lewin and the Planned Approach to Change: A Re-appraisal, Journal of Management Studies, vol. 41, no. 6: 977-1002.
- Burns, L., Gillon, E., 2011, Developing a Teaching Agenda for Coaching Psychology in Undergraduate Programs, The Coaching Psychologist, vol. 7, no. 2: 90-106.
- Carr, W., Kemmis, S., 2003, Becoming Critical: Education Knowledge and Action Research, Routledge.
- Creswell, J.W., Plano Clark, V.L., 2007, Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- De Hann, E., Bertie, C., Day, A., Sills, C., 2010, Critical Moments of Clients and Coaches: A Direct-Comparison Study, International Coaching Psychology Review, vol. 5, no. 2: 109-128.
- DeFord, D.E., 2007, Learning through Coaching: Ongoing Professional Development for Literacy Coaches, The Primer, Massachusetts Reading Association, vol. 36, no. 2: 1-24.
- Du Toit, A., Reissner, S., 2012, Experiences of Coaching in Team Learning, International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching in Education, vol. 1, no. 3: 177-190.
- Ellis, C., Adams, T.E., Bochner, A.P., 2011, Autoethnography: an Overview, Qualitative Social Research, vol. 12, no. 1.
- Fullan, M., 2002, The Role of Leadership in the Promotion of Knowledge Management in Schools, OECD Conference, March: 18-19.
- Gallucci, C., DeVoogt, M., Van Lare, Yoon, I.H., Boatright, B., 2010, Instructional Coaching: Building Theory about the Role and Organizational Support for Professional Learning, American Educational Research Journal, December, vol. 47, no. 4: 919-963.
- Glazer, E.M., Hannafin, M.J., 2006, The Collaborative Apprenticeship Model: Situated Professional Development within School Settings, Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 22: 179-193.
- Glesne, C., 2006, Becoming Qualitative Researchers: an Introduction, 3rd ed., Pearson Education, Boston.
- Grant, A.M., 2012a, An Integrated Model of Goal-Focused Coaching: an Evidence-Based Framework for Teaching and Practice, International Coaching Psychology Review, vol. 7, no. 2: 146-165.
- Grant, A.M., 2012b, Australian Coaches' Views on Coaching Supervision: A Study with Implications for Australian Coach Education, Training and Practice, International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, vol. 10, no. 2: 17-33.
- Grossman, P., McDonald, M., 2008, Back to the Future: Directions in Research in Teaching and Teacher Education, American Educational Research Journal, vol. 45: 184-205.
- Gur-Ze'ev, I., 2001, Normalizing Education, Counter Education, and Reflection, Studies in Education, vol. 5, no. 1: 133-158.
- Hayes, R.S., 2010, The Study of Literacy Coaching Observations and Interviews with Elementary Teachers, Ph.D. Dissertation, Georgia State University, Atlanta.
- Hughes, S.A., 2008, Maggie & Me: A Black Professor and a White Urban School Teacher Connect Autoethnography to Critical Race Pedagogy, Educational Foundations, vol. 22, no. 3-4: 73-95.
- International Coaching Federation - ICF, 2010, http://www.coachfederation.org.
- Israel Coaching Association, 2004, Curriculum in the Profession of Human Resources Management, The Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport, The Administration for Science and Technology, http://www.ilcc.org.il/home/doc.aspx?mCatID=9951.
- Jimenez, E., King, E.M., Tan, J.P., 2012, Making the Grade, Finance and Development, vol. 49, no. 1: 1-4.
- Karnieli, M., 2010, Curiosity and Investigativeness: Foundation Stones in the Empowerment, Ramot, Ra'anana.
- Kfir, D., 2011, A Fateful Search: Society in Israel Is Looking for Good Teachers - A Collection of Articles, Mofet Institute.
- King, N., Horrocks, C., 2010, Interviews in Qualitative Research, Sage, London.
- Levi, D. (ed.) 2006, Action Research: Theory and Practice, Philosophical Connections and Methodologies between Action Research and the Qualitative Research Paradigm, Mofet Institute.
- Lloyd, C.M., Modlin, E.L., 2012, Coaching as a Key Component in Teachers' Professional Development Improving Classroom Practices in Head Start Settings, OPRE Report, New York.
- Lu, H.L., 2010, Research on Peer Coaching in Preservice Teacher Education - A Review of Literature, Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 26: 748-753.
- McNiff, J., 2010, Action Research for Professional Development: Concise Advice for New and Experienced Action Researchers, 3rd ed., September Books, Dorset.
- Murray, J., 2012, Professional Learning Opportunities in U.S. Independent Schools, Lambert, London, England.
- Murray, S., Ma, X., Mazur, J., 2009, Effects of Peer Coaching on Teachers' Collaborative Interactions and Students Mathematics Achievement, Journal of Education Research, vol. 102, no. 3: 203-212.
- National Education Technology Plan, http://www.ed.gov/technology/netp-2010.
- Norton, L.S., 2009, Action Research in Teaching and Learning: A Practical Guide to Conducting Pedagogical Research in Universities, Routledge, New York and London.
- Sabar Ben-Yehoshua, N., 2001, Trends and Currents in Qualitative Research, Dvir, Tel Aviv.
- Sabar Ben-Yehoshua, N., Dushnik, L., 2006, Informed Consent - a Principle that Requires Change and Adjustment to Action Research, in: Levi, D. (ed.), Action Research: Theory and Practice, Philosophical Connections and Methodologies between Action Research and the Qualitative Research Paradigm, Mofet Institute.
- Shidler, L., 2009, The Impact of Time Spent Coaching for Teacher Efficacy on Student Achievement, Early Childhood Education Journal, vol. 36: 453-460.
- Shkedi, A., 2003, Words That Try to Touch: Qualitative Research - Theory and Implementation, Ramot, Tel Aviv.
- Stringer, E., 2004, Action Research in Education, Pearson/Merrill/Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Tsellermeir, M. 2011, Analysis of Data in Action Research: Story of a Journey for Self-Discovery, Research Paths, no. 17: 42-52.
- Tsellermeir, M., Kozulin, A. (eds.), 2004, Learning in the Social Context: Development of the Higher Psychological Processes of Lev Vygotsky, HaKibbutz HaMeuchad Press, Tel Aviv.
- Tsellermeir, M., Tabac, I., 2004, We will Do It between Us! Or How Action Research Builds a Professional Learning Community in the Framework of Collegiality in a Field College, Mofet Institute.
- Van Eekelen, I.M., Boshuizen, H.P.A., Vermunt, J.D., 2005, Self-Regulation in Higher Education Teacher Learning, Higher Education, vol. 50: 447-471.
- Wageman, R., 2001, How Leaders Foster Self-Managing Team Effectiveness: Design Choices versus Hands-on Coaching, Organization Science, vol. 12, no. 5: 559-577.
- Wallace Foundation, 2008, Becoming a Leader: Preparing School Principals for Today's Schools.
- Williams, P., 2008, The Emergence of Coaching as a New Profession and Its Global Influence, in: Kinder, A., Hughes, R., Cooper, C.L. (eds.), Employee Well-being Support: a Workplace Resource, Chichester: John Wiley & Sons: 285-296.
- Wilson, K.P., Dykstra, J.R., Watson, L.R., Body, B.A., Crais, E.R., 2012, Coaching in Early Education Classrooms Serving Children with Autism: A Pilot Study, Early Childhood Education Journal, vol. 40: 97-105.